11-87 issues

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

11-87 issues

Postby O.D.Lid » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:35 pm

my 11-87sp 12 guage has some issues. first once in awhile right after cleaning the first shot just goes"click" i have found if i dry fire it right after cleaning it is ok but there is always the doubt in the back of my mind secondly also just once in awhile it won't take two shells into the magizene if i reach my finger in through the eject i can manually feel a sharp spring-like thing and push it towards the barrel and the receiver will slam shut (sometimes with my freezing cold finger in it) this gun is about 20 years old in mossy oak camo any help would be great the only gunsmith around here is not verry trustworthy
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Re: 11-87 issues

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:20 am

Sounds to me like you just need a complete tear down, New springs in the magazine and action tube and a new magazine follower. all of these parts can be purchased from brownells for about $25 then tear the bolt completely apart removing the buffer pin and buffer, firing pin and springs. clean it all and check for burs including running a pipe cleaner thru the firing pin hole. Also could be a good time to replace the hammer spring if it is that old and you store it with the hammer cocked. Also you will need to completely clean the inside of both the magazine and action tubes to make sure there is no old grime and rust hanging out in there. :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby O.D.Lid » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:55 pm

thanks i have a little bit of work it seems it still shoots as is but i have a summer project
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sat May 04, 2013 9:54 pm

i did alot of the things you suggested. it seems my major issue is the feed latch. i ordered one from brownells. there was no rust but like you said there was some grime issues. :oops: this was embarassing to me i always pride myself with keeping my guns clean and my knives sharp!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum