tougher gun?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

tougher gun?

Postby carlsonfan21 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:42 pm

Is there anything i can buy to make a new gun not rust out duck hunting or something that if it rubs against the boat the paint dont scratch?
carlsonfan21
hunter

Re: tougher gun?

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:24 am

You can have it duracoated.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:33 am

if it is a dipped gun I always hang them in the sun, disassemble, Degrease and give them a coat of PPG matte cleat coat. I have never had to do this on Benelli as It seems they have a very good clear from the factory. Remington, Mossberg and the Browning / Winchesters I have owned do not seem to have a very robust clear over the ink from the factory. I have actually stripped the camo finish from Remington's and Mossberg's with brake cleaner. I use this same cleaner on my Benelli's (and other dipped guns after the PPG clear) and it never bothers the finish at all.

Banging around In the boat is just part of hunting and it adds "beauty marks" to the finish. :thumbsup: These marks are necessary to make a duck gun work properly :yes:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:23 am

CeraKote. That is some extraordinarily tough stuff. Gun needs to be bead blasted prior to application, though, so it's probably best left to the professionals.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Cannon is right. Cerakote is as tough as it gets. Duracote runs a very close second and can be done yourself.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby talltimber » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 am

I saw a Silver get the factory camo stripped by hosing out the receiver with carb cleaner. Ran out the port and onto the camo on the top of the receiver. Done a fine job on it, unintentionally. I assume it was durakote?
talltimber
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:20 am

talltimber wrote:I saw a Silver get the factory camo stripped by hosing out the receiver with carb cleaner. Ran out the port and onto the camo on the top of the receiver. Done a fine job on it, unintentionally. I assume it was durakote?

NO! That's diura-touch, AKA "dura-crap." Duracoat is a very tough paint. Dura-touch is crappy latex over a film dip finish.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby talltimber » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Gotchya. Good to know. I didn't want anyone to get that done thinking it was very tough.
talltimber
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum