Duck Hunting Forum banner

Gun Values

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Slack Tide 
#1 ·
I have a handful of shotguns that were in a safe which was flooded by Hurricane Sandy. I sprayed them down as soon as I was able to get to them, they were exposed for over 24 hrs. I have tried to claim them in my insurance claim, but the National Flood Insurance Program wants me to get a letter from a gunsmith or some other " firearm professional" regarding the value of flood damaged guns. It is my belief that the retail value is zero as I cannot sell these guns as 98% or whatever knowing that they have been submerged, even though I have taken them apart and cleaned them from the firing pin to the front sight.

Functionally they are fine, but what is the effect of salt intrusion and the resale value of guns. I say it is the same as flood damaged cars, that they may work but unforeseen damage is laying in wait for the potential buyer and as such it is very deceictful to sell them as undamaged goods.

Anyone out here qualified to answer this serious question? Thanks in advance.

Pete

#2 ·
I don't know if there are many if any gunsmiths out there that could answer your question.
My guess would be the value of them would be what somebody would be willing to pay for them knowing they had been submerged in salt water for that long. More than likely somebody would buy them from you, what they would be willing to pay is just a guess on any bodies part. Tough call on this one

#3 ·
You mention that you've taken them apart...but have you removed the butt stock and cleaned / lubricated all metal "hidden" inside? For semi-autos and doubles, this is a significant area where any water much less salt water can do serious harm. If you have, would you consider posting a list here, with full disclosure, asking for offers? -Ed

#4 ·
As a gunsmith I would value them by their present condition. They would NOT value at $0 just because they were under water (even salt water) They will still hold some if not all of their value. Even if they were pitted by salt corrosion they would still have some value if it were only for parts. The only way an insurance co will cover them is if they are completely destroyed (as in a fire) or stolen from my experience.

#5 ·
Thank you Waterfowlhunter, that is what I was looking for. I know guns are rated, 98%, 95%, etc... but didn't know what exposure to salt water and mud and sand would have as for as rating - I'm thinking 50%-75%? I am hoping to convince my insurance company that they have zero value, but I guess they're to smart for that.

EdS - Yes, I have spent untold hours stripping them down including removing the stocks and all. They are as clean of salt as the day before the storm, but in my mind they are damaged goods. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot any one of them but I believe their value has been affected, I'm just looking for a professionals opinion of how much value they lost. I had some Berettas(3), Brownings(4), Winchester Model 12's(2), Remington870, Charles Daly I/O, an Italian I/O, a Charles Daly 20 Auto, Mossberg 835, Mossberg 9200, a Stoeger M200 and an assortment of .22's I'll let you know if any are for sale if and when I recieve any $$$ for them. :sad:

Actually I probably had more damage done to my decoy collection value wise due to nicks and dings from being mishandled and bouncing around then the value of the guns. Maybe I should persue that angle as well!

Thanks again for the advice.

#6 ·
If you had taken them to a gunsmith before cleaning them you might have had a claim but probably not now. Insurance companies are there to make money not give it away and they will do everything they can to keep from paying it out.

#7 ·
I am a used gun dealer from PA, but grew up along the coast. I can provide an estimate if you would like one. You should submit to the insurance comapny what the guns were worth before the flood. I might be willing to purchas them from you. My son is graduating from the Colorado gunsmithing school in July and I have been collecting projects for him. If you are interested send me a list, pictures if you can. eGrant

#8 ·
I think that If you are an NRA member you also have firearms insurance thru them but I am not sure what is covers. Not sure if they still do this but I remember reading something about it.

#9 ·
What waterfowler has NOT had a gun submerged or wet enough to call it submerged. I think you are being too hard on yourself. Clean them again and search for the hidden spots like was suggested in the stock, butt area and you are fine. Let them sit and do it again. I'd also suggest before anything else to charge up your compressor and let it rip! Get in there. If you see any moisture come out, you know you need to do a better job.
Another question is how to clean your safe! That might be wrecked....

#10 ·
Slack Tide said:
What waterfowler has NOT had a gun submerged or wet enough to call it submerged....
:biggrin: I just have to ask, Really? And you know this How? Just kind of curious. :huh:

Just in case you want the facts over your assumptions, I have had guns in the shop that had spent a few days in the Bay (YES, under water) My cousin is a diver and has been paid more than once to recover guns from capsized boats and when they come up they need someone to "clean" them. So I would say I have pretty good experience with this issue, Just not my own guns, I usually pick mine right back out of the water and keep on shooting (Benelli). I had an SP-10 under salt water in Maine for a short time but as soon as the days hunt was over I gave is a dunk in the tank and a complete teardown / cleaning. You have to look at it this way, To really damage the gun you need the corrosive AND oxygen. As long as they are submerged they are ok for some time (minus any wood) once you bring them to the surface and they get exposed to Oxygen is when the oxidation takes off (I did not say starts). So the sooner you clean them the better off you are.

#11 ·
waterfowlhunter said:
Slack Tide said:
What waterfowler has NOT had a gun submerged or wet enough to call it submerged....
:biggrin: I just have to ask, Really? And you know this How? Just kind of curious. :huh:

Just in case you want the facts over your assumptions, I have had guns in the shop that had spent a few days in the Bay (YES, under water) My cousin is a diver and has been paid more than once to recover guns from capsized boats and when they come up they need someone to "clean" them. So I would say I have pretty good experience with this issue, Just not my own guns, I usually pick mine right back out of the water and keep on shooting (Benelli). I had an SP-10 under salt water in Maine for a short time but as soon as the days hunt was over I gave is a dunk in the tank and a complete teardown / cleaning. You have to look at it this way, To really damage the gun you need the corrosive AND oxygen. As long as they are submerged they are ok for some time (minus any wood) once you bring them to the surface and they get exposed to Oxygen is when the oxidation takes off (I did not say starts). So the sooner you clean them the better off you are.
I'm now confused? It sounds like you started off doubting me. Then made my own point again with evidence.......

#12 ·
Slack Tide said:
waterfowlhunter said:
Slack Tide said:

I'm now confused? It sounds like you started off doubting me. Then made my own point again with evidence.......
Apparently I was confused. Often people refer to me as waterfowler rather than waterfowlhunter. I read your statement as if you were saying that I had not had a gun submerged, Not looking at it in the way you intended it. OOPS. :beer: That is what I get for trying to post when exhausted. Sorry about that :lame:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.