Duck Hunting Forum banner

1187 jamming

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  z51 
#1 ·
I bought an 1187 from a friend and It will shoot 2 3/4" all day but when i'm shooting 3" shells, the first two will load no problem but the third will stay in the mag tube.I am thinking the next course of action would to get a new mag spring and carrier. The gun is a 3" model. I have thoroughly cleaned it several times, but it still does this. Despite this fact I love the fit of the gun and I shoot it well. Gun probably has about 1500 through it. Thank you to anybody for their help.

#2 ·
Most 1100 and 1187 have a plastic magazine spring keeper that will lock in place with twist and will hold the spring for the right tension, if the keeper is not pushed down and twist locked there will not be enough tension, also the magazine spring needs to be replaced for $15.

#3 ·
I had a shell latch issue with one once. Same symptoms. I think the tip was broke off, if I remember correctly. It's been a while.
It may very well be a spring issue though. I am curious to what you find if it works fine with 2.75" but not 3". Let us know when you figure it out.

If you can't find some good photos online to compare to your parts, let me know, I can send pics of mine.

#4 ·
Thanks guys,
I am positive that the black plastic thing is in right, however I think I need to get the shell latch re-staked. it makes no sense to me on how it will work fine for 2 3/4" shells but it wont for 3 inchers. Does anybody know why this might be the case?

#5 ·
That's what is confusing to me also.

You have cleaned the ports in the barrel right? I know you stated you cleaned it, just thinking about what else could be happening. You can run 2.75" fine, then load 3" immediately after and they won't, correct? Just checking to see if you had it apart or something in between times?

Can you run two 3", then a 2.75" and it work properly?

#6 ·
I clean the ports out with a pipe cleaner every cleaning. This has happened on many occasions and I can shoot 3 rds of 2 3/4" and then try to shoot three of 3" inchers and It will jam on the third shot. I believe it would shoot two 3" then a 2 3/4" with no problem. On A side note, the recoil spring has not been cleaned, But I do not believe that would affect anything

#8 ·
It sure sounds like a shell latch problem, but I don't know why it would drop a 2.75 and not a 3". Post up a pic of your shell latch in place, in a view from the bottom. Maybe the shell latch is out of place, you mentioned it needed restaked? BTW, mine does too. It came unstaked after replacing the shell latch, but works fine like it is, just a little trickier to get the trigger assembly back in.

#11 ·
It is probably the feed latch. I would also replace the mag spring and follower. They are expendable parts.

The feed latch does not need to be staked the trigger assembly pins hold it in the proper place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.