Remington 1187 problems

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Remington 1187 problems

Postby TheJoker501 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Hey guys i'm trying to fix this gun for my cousin. I put a new O-ring in for him and later on he said it wouldn't eject. So I took it apart and realized I out the pieces back together wrong. After I reassembled it I had trouble getting a shell to feed in the magazine tube, so I looked it over and noticed the bolt handle was not all the way forward. After you push the bolt handle all the way forward it would work fine. I also noticed that when I would pull the bolt back it would stop right before it was supposed to lock. When it hits this position it will stay there like it is locked, but it is not locked. So I was wondering if it was the recoil spring or the Link(which is the tuning fork looking thing that goes into the recoil spring). It says in the manual that the link can be easily damaged, but I don't know how to tell. Any advise would be appreciated.
TheJoker501
Newb

Re: Remington 1187 problems

Postby baltz526 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Have you taken the stock off and cleaned the action spring and tube. This is the cause of most 1100/1187 issues not related to gas piston O-ring. Gunk builds up.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby TheJoker501 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:22 pm

baltz526 wrote:Have you taken the stock off and cleaned the action spring and tube. This is the cause of most 1100/1187 issues not related to gas piston O-ring. Gunk builds up.

Just curious, How would you suggest cleaning these.
TheJoker501
Newb

Postby O.D.Lid » Sat May 04, 2013 10:04 pm

after "playing" with mine all day today i used CLP. tore everything down and squirted lots of it down the tube, useing the choke wrench to press the link back and forth or in and out. alot of rust came out so i dryed it out and repeated the process until it came out clean. hold your ear next to the stock until you can't here it go back and forth. i found if i tryed to work the action while the gun was horizontal i had problems too but if i held it vertical it would cycle :huh:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sun May 05, 2013 8:36 pm

You have to "push" the bolt forward?

"I also noticed that when I would pull the bolt back it would stop right before it was supposed to lock. When it hits this position it will stay there like it is locked, but it is not locked"

If the bolt will stay in the open position, what makes you think it is not "locked"? Unless I am misunderstanding you?

You could have damaged the link, but it's not like it's fragile. I'm doubting it's damaged, unless you got pretty rough with it. You pretty sure you got it all put back together correctly? I guess maybe the recoil spring is so gummed up that it is binding, but that would take a lot of gum. When closing the bolt, I don't suggest dillydallying with it. Hit the bolt release button and let it slam. You get a better close, can tell more about what kind of shape (gunk-wise) it's in, and feeds ammo properly when loading.
talltimber
hunter

Postby TheJoker501 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:14 pm

talltimber wrote:You have to "push" the bolt forward?

"I also noticed that when I would pull the bolt back it would stop right before it was supposed to lock. When it hits this position it will stay there like it is locked, but it is not locked"

If the bolt will stay in the open position, what makes you think it is not "locked"? Unless I am misunderstanding you?

You could have damaged the link, but it's not like it's fragile. I'm doubting it's damaged, unless you got pretty rough with it. You pretty sure you got it all put back together correctly? I guess maybe the recoil spring is so gummed up that it is binding, but that would take a lot of gum. When closing the bolt, I don't suggest dillydallying with it. Hit the bolt release button and let it slam. You get a better close, can tell more about what kind of shape (gunk-wise) it's in, and feeds ammo properly when loading.

The bolt comes back like it is locked, but you can push the bolt and carrier forward. It has a little bit of resistance when this happens. Something is locked when this happens but the spring and everything else stays in that position. I took out the trigger mechanism and everything works fine, so I think there is a conflict with the trigger, but I cannot see the internal workings so it is hard to diagnose.
TheJoker501
Newb

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum