Benelli mag spring?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Benelli mag spring?

Postby clampdaddy » Wed May 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Compared to any of my other guns, the mag spring in my SBE2 seems to be abnormally stiff. It's tolerable with 2 3/4 inch shells but its a sumumabitch with 3.5 inch shells. Do they use that stiff of a spring on purpose to prevent inertia from causing the shells in the mag from moving forward during recoil? Anybody tried using a lighter spring?
clampdaddy
hunter

Re: Benelli mag spring?

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu May 16, 2013 3:30 am

I have several SBE II's and have had a few M1 and M2's and none of them have had a stiff spring in them, no more so than the 11-87's or Browning/Winchesters. I can load 3.5" just as easily as 2-3/4 in in my guns with no problem at all. I have installed "extra Power" magazine and recoil springs in 2 of my SBE II's that I only shoot 3.5" mags in and really did not notice any difference in loading the magazine with the so called "heavier" Spring. Did you buy the gun new? I had a used one with the 2 round extension spring in it but no extension, The first round would load normally but it made it quite hard to load the 2nd and almost impossible to load the 3rd shell into the magazine.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Thu May 16, 2013 7:06 am

Yeah, I bought it new. At first I thought that maybe a coil was hung up on the end of the plug, giving it less room to compress but that wasn't the case. It's just stiff as hell.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu May 16, 2013 10:43 am

How's those reloads working out for you in that BURRRRnelli ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu May 16, 2013 11:15 am

3200 man wrote:How's those reloads working out for you in that BURRRRnelli ?

Real good! They throw a tighter pattern than the cheap ammo I'm used to using. Had to go down to a modified tube because I was having a hard time hitting birds with the full. :lol3: Once I opened up on the choke the birds started falling much more regularly.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu May 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Yep , They work for me too . I have 3 rounds of Sporting targets through the Maxus with the sealed piston and I still
have not cleaned it . I do clean the gun but , I see no reason to wipe down the piston . I'm going to findout how dirty
it will get with , just a little after 350 shells .
3200 man
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:15 pm

how is that sbe2 working out for you.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu May 16, 2013 3:28 pm

winchester1852 wrote:how is that sbe2 working out for you.

To be honest I haven't put enough rounds through it yet to really say. All I can say is that it has been through a box of 3.5" shells and six boxes of 2 3/4" shells with no problems.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:10 pm

clampdaddy wrote:

To be honest I haven't put enough rounds through it yet to really say. All I can say is that it has been through a box of 3.5" shells and six boxes of 2 3/4" shells with no problems.

thats good to hear/ read.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu May 16, 2013 7:56 pm

winchester1852 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Yeah, so far I really like it. It fits me well and it has some nice features, but one of my pet peaves are people that give rave reviews on a gun they just got and put a box of shells through. After two dove seasons, a duck season, and another crow season I'll be able to give an honest assessment of it. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri May 17, 2013 5:08 am

I have owned Benelli's since 96. Have went thru all the other brands and tested the claims but still end up shooting Benelli. I can honestly say that they are the BEST guns built...... for me that is. :lol3:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Fri May 17, 2013 6:10 am

There's nothing wrong with being a oddball (LOL's) but , if you can shoot it Great , I just don't like the Click , recoil !

And Koolaid

Give me Gas or give me a 870 , ha ha
3200 man
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:21 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Yeah, so far I really like it. It fits me well and it has some nice features, but one of my pet peaves are people that give rave reviews on a gun they just got and put a box of shells through. After two dove seasons, a duck season, and another crow season I'll be able to give an honest assessment of it. :lol3:

that is always misleading and annoying.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:24 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:I have owned Benelli's since 96. Have went thru all the other brands and tested the claims but still end up shooting Benelli. I can honestly say that they are the BEST guns built...... for me that is. :lol3:

if they are the best built why do they have plastic trigger guard assembly :biggrin: :banana:
winchester1852
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri May 17, 2013 5:40 pm

winchester1852 wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:I have owned Benelli's since 96. Have went thru all the other brands and tested the claims but still end up shooting Benelli. I can honestly say that they are the BEST guns built...... for me that is. :lol3:

if they are the best built why do they have plastic trigger guard assembly :biggrin: :banana:

The same reason Glock, S&W and HK along with several AR-15 upper and lower receivers are made of polymer, It Works, is rugged, light weight, can not rust and will last as long as steel trigger guard. :biggrin: :banana:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Fri May 17, 2013 6:43 pm

I'm a Dodge Diesel man so , I can't have a camo Burrnelli with a black dog ? She likes to retrieve multiple birds when I send
her out and I've got to have a gun that really goes Boom Boom Boom every time .

I just go by what Phil says , the other B gun is better !
3200 man
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:52 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:

The same reason Glock, S&W and HK along with several AR-15 upper and lower receivers are made of polymer, It Works, is rugged, light weight, can not rust and will last as long as steel trigger guard. :biggrin: :banana:

it works but it dose not belong on any high end gun.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat May 18, 2013 7:48 am

I will say , Burrrnelli's have killed alot of birds in the hands of someone that can shoot one !

They even put names on the barrel , Widow Maker ??

Sounds good ,Tho ?

Pro staff ...... Yea Right
3200 man
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum