Mossberg 835 ejecting problems

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Mossberg 835 ejecting problems

Postby Shotgunner12 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:55 am

My buddy bought a used 835 from a pawn shop about a month ago and we have been shootin alot of skeet and his gun every once in a while will leave the spent shell in the chamber when the action is cycled. It takes about three cycles of the action to clear it. What could be causing this? I also saw a another buddy's 870 do the same thing during duck season last year. Thanks for any help.
Hand me some more shells!
Shotgunner12
hunter

Re: Mossberg 835 ejecting problems

Postby StevenL » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:29 pm

I'm no gunsmith but it seems to me as if there might be something wrong with the extractor and/or the occasional build-up of powder residue in the chamber. just my 2 cents
StevenL
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:13 pm

Can you post a pic or two of the extractor? Also, Have him break it down and THOROUGHLY clean it, paying special attention to the bolt. Use carb/choke cleaner and use it liberally to flush out the parts, as there is likely either a build up of Kosmoline, which was never cleaned from the gun from when it was new or the extractor or extractor spring is worn.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:10 pm

yea I would guess the extractor is damaged or has build up. I have the same gun and I swear it developed a habit of ejecting shell two and loading #3..............don't ask me to explain how or why, but I moved on to a B gun.
darkwater27
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum