Winchester SX2??

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Winchester SX2??

Postby jscheirer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:05 pm

My sx2 will not cycle light loads. I took it in for a good cleaning and was told that it had the Sure Cycle recoil system installed in it and the heavy spring was not allowing it to eject the shells completely.

Leaving the recoil system in it that it has right now, is there any way I can have the gun eject light loads? Will sending to piston off to have it sealed make that much of a difference when dealing with the heavy spring? Thanks for any input
jscheirer
hunter

Re: Winchester SX2??

Postby CutEmUp89 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:53 am

What kind of light loads are you shooting? Seems like when I was shooting my SX2 at doves the only light loads that would cycle were Diana's. These shells had a little more powder in them which I think made them cylce better. Maybe give those a try if they even make them anymore?
Phillip Price

Fowl Obession Duck & Goose Calls Staff

Kill em' with their feet down, and wings cupped!

"I guess no one knows about Mo Booter?"
CutEmUp89
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:52 am

The guy I bought it from said he was shooting 1 1/8 Estate High Brass target loads and they cycled, haven't found them yet to try out myself... Either:

1) I just live with it
2) I try out sealing the piston and see if that works
3) Buy the replacement stock spring and put that in for when shooting light (don't know if the spring will work in the aftermarket housing?)
jscheirer
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:42 pm

Please define "light loads " .
I have a couple 3 or 4 SX2's . 3 1/2" , 3" , and Sporting models . All of them will cycle fine with loads down to 2 3/4 dram 1 oz of shot . I have used 7/8 oz loads but there were reloads .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:51 pm

Did not cycle 2 3/4" 1 or 1 1/8 oz loads.
I also shot 2 3/4" T shells through it and neither cycled. Like I stated earlier it has an aftermarket spring designed for heavier loads apparently. Just wondering what would be the plan of attack right now. Thanks
jscheirer
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:33 pm

I would attack the problem by first giving the gun a COMPLEAT and THROUGH cleaning , then replace the recoil spring and tube with one from the factory , then follow the recommended steps in breaking in the gun .
Keep in mind if your gun is a 3 1/2" model it was not designed to shoot light loads . But it should shoot standard 3 dram 1 1/8 oz loads .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby triplecurl » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:16 pm

I've got an SX2 that shoots 3 1/2" and it will shoot anything from the lightest 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 with no cycling issues.
Last night, I dreamed that I killed all the saggers, all the swaggers, and all of their duckface girlfriends...

It was called: The Yolocaust.
triplecurl
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:28 pm

I've got an SX2 that shoots 3 1/2" and it will shoot anything from the lightest 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 with no cycling issues.

I've heard this from multiple people so i believe it. Maybe I'll price out the original recoil system and justify buying it to shoot target loads. I love the gun and I will mostly use it for duck hunting, but its still nice to practice with it in the summer months. My last question: will sealing the piston allow the gun to cycle the smaller loads or is that modification strictly for problem part prevention?
jscheirer
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:38 am

All you need is the stock recoil spring. Their is no "stock system" required. The sure cycle spring is too heavy for the lighter loads.

I have always wondered why people get suckered by these "upgrades". I have also wondered why people buy a heavily built 3 1/2" waterfowl gun and expect it to shoot every cheap mouse fart load out there.

DO NOT F### WITH THE PISTON!!!!!!!
z51
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:37 am

Call Sure Cycle and have them send you the light spring for clays.

Brought to you by Sham Wow
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Don't put a light clays spring in it and then shoot heavy waterfowl loads in it. There will be too much parts battering. Better to put in a stock spring and be done with it. I've been running stock springs in mine since 1999.
z51
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:14 pm

I'm a firm believer in running a sealed piston in a Browning/Winchester gas gun. My two brownings lunched three springs (two factory and one aftermarket) and not a single handload or hypersonic shell has been through either of them. My Silver used to short stroke occasionally when shooting high volumes of dirty burning shells. Haven't had a single problem since I sealed the piston. The Sure Cycle kit I could take or leave. It just makes the gun a bit more maintenance free.

In the maxus I had, I liked the factory spring with a sealed piston. I had a Sure Cycle in it and it came with two springs. It jammed with the heavy spring. The light spring is just a tad lighter than the factory spring. Jeff at SRM told me that it was perfectly safe to run the light spring even with duck/goose loads but I just couldn't get comfortable with the idea of shooting 3.5" shells with the light spring installed so I took it out and put the sure cycle in my Silver Hunter. It is a 3" gun. I set it up with the light spring and I sealed the piston myself. It runs like a top and the rear of the receiver is no worse for wear.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:36 pm

z51 wrote:Don't put a light clays spring in it and then shoot heavy waterfowl loads in it. There will be too much parts battering. Better to put in a stock spring and be done with it. I've been running stock springs in mine since 1999.

The factory action tube plunger and the Sure Cycle plunger are quite different. Jeff designed the SC to use 2 different springs, one for light target loads and one for heavy field loads.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:29 am

Winchester replaced my piston after I broke the spring inside the piston about 4 years ago. After they replaced the piston, the SX2 would not cycle light loads. I shoot a lot of skeet & trap with that gun. I sent the piston to Sure Cycle to have it sealed, got it back and it has cycled everything I run thru it.

I do not shoot 3 1/2 's as I do not wish to punish myself and the gun. When you seal the spring, the recoil maybe gets a little tougher as there is no spring in the piston to release the excess gasses for its supposed 'metering system', which I highly doubted in the first place
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:47 am

I really don't understand why you guys even buy a 3 1/2" gun if you don't want the capability. If the SC follower is significantly different from the factory (which is doubtful), get a factory spring and follower. Big deal the whole whole thing costs like $20.

All this screwing around with parts and spending a bunch of mod money and you don't have a fully functioning gun. Makes no sense to me but then I'm just a duck hunter whose guns work because I use the factory parts and maintain them to factory specs.

The proof here is with the OP s gun, Somebody spent premium dollars and the gun doesn't work properly. And the advice, tinker with it some more and spend more money. It's a vicious cycle and a pain in the butt.
z51
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:40 am

z51 wrote:I really don't understand why you guys even buy a 3 1/2" gun if you don't want the capability. If the SC follower is significantly different from the factory (which is doubtful), get a factory spring and follower. Big deal the whole whole thing costs like $20.

All this screwing around with parts and spending a bunch of mod money and you don't have a fully functioning gun. Makes no sense to me but then I'm just a duck hunter whose guns work because I use the factory parts and maintain them to factory specs.

The proof here is with the OP s gun, Somebody spent premium dollars and the gun doesn't work properly. And the advice, tinker with it some more and spend more money. It's a vicious cycle and a pain in the butt.

I was just saying that I like a sealed piston in my guns. I do use 3.5" shells in my 3.5" guns and I did run both of my guns bone stock until I had repeat problems with the factory parts. Got tired of broken piston springs so I eliminated the problem. No problems since.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:21 pm

I'm glad it worked for you, but the OP doesn't have your issue and I never have in 14 years of heavy 3 1/2" shooting. His problem is a HD spring he doesn't need. Sealing his piston makes no sense because as he stated it is mainly a duck gun. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Why buy a light spring and seal the piston when he can fix his problem in 15 minutes for peanuts with a Winchester spring.
z51
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:40 pm

It's hard to say for sure. My first piston springs actually broke so it was easy to see what was wrong. The third spring took a set at a lower unsprung height (like a valve spring on a car that sat in the compressed position for years) so I wasn't 100% sure what the problem was until I took it out and measured it against a brand new spring. The weak spring caused the piston to vent off to much gas and it caused an issue with low brass dove/target loads. Just an option to think about.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:37 pm

I have the sure cycle recoil spring in my gun. But I bought new heavier target load 3 and 1/4 DRAM and it cycles it flawlessly. I'm happy with what my gun has because that stainless steel system will never corrode or cause any problems. Soooo I am glad with what I found out and will not be changing any more parts with it. Thanks for everyone who posted their opinions.
jscheirer
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:29 am

Probably the best overall solution. Enjoy the gun, it's one of the best.
z51
hunter

Postby jpeterson117 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:04 pm

triplecurl wrote:I've got an SX2 that shoots 3 1/2" and it will shoot anything from the lightest 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 with no cycling issues.

As do I. Never misses a cycle.
jpeterson117
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:44 pm

jpeterson117 wrote:
triplecurl wrote:I've got an SX2 that shoots 3 1/2" and it will shoot anything from the lightest 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 with no cycling issues.

Is that with the factory spring?
z51
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:44 pm

Here is a picture of the Sure Cycle plunger next to a factory Maxus plunger:

The factory SX2/Maxus/Gold plunger is about an 1" long, the Sure Cycle is patterned after the Beretta style and probably close to 4" long. The factory plunger will not work in a Sure Cycle.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby jpeterson117 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:55 pm

z51 wrote:
jpeterson117 wrote:

Is that with the factory spring?

Yes, I have not made any changes to it.
jpeterson117
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:23 pm

I thought that might be the case. That's why I stick to factory, it safely cycles everything I need.
z51
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum