silicone for barrel ?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

silicone for barrel ?

Postby killingtime » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:03 pm

i have a new to me 1909,model 11 rem .just had the full choke cut off,due to a bulg,and rechoked to mod/impcyc(loose,mod) been shooting it some at skeet .fun old gun .a guy saw me set it down bolt open,and asked if i was done ,told him ,letting it cool off.temp,s in the 90,s hear. he sead he put,s silicone in his barrel,s help,s the wadding slip ,less drag. anybody done this? :huh:
killingtime
hunter

Re: silicone for barrel ?

Postby dukdropper » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Yeah, Its all burnt up in 2 shots, can't tell me its not. Most all the wads (now a days) have silicone based properties in the plastics. Not the older old stock wads so much I would imagine. Can't see the value. But to each his own- its all good if it works for you. Honed and polished properly from the git go, Keep a good clean bore, drop em all! Save yur silicone spray for the fooz ball table. :yes: :beer:
dukdropper
hunter

Postby killingtime » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:50 pm

make,s sense,now that i think,about it. it just was one of the thing,s u hear and wonder about i know if u get it on something u want to paint it aint good
killingtime
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:39 am

Super clean, then polish, then super clean your barrel again. Short of chrome lining it, THAT is the only way you'll see less fouling and easier cleaning after shooting. There is nothing you can add to a barrel that will make it foul less.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby killingtime » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:29 am

not really on the subject still,but how do u polish a barrel, this old gun look,s a lil rough in the barrel shoot very well.so i may no mess with what,s not broke
killingtime
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:56 pm

killingtime wrote:not really on the subject still,but how do u polish a barrel, this old gun look,s a lil rough in the barrel shoot very well.so i may no mess with what,s not broke

And that's just it. A good polishing job might not help. I have never heard of a gun patterning WORSE once polished, but I have heard of more than one case where it didn't help at all. When it comes to firearms my moto is just like the Hipocratic oath...first do no harm...A polish job, if done right won't hurt, but it might also not help. Here's a link you might find interesting. I polish ALL of my shotgun barrels and have seen an improvement in all of them in pattern consistency and ease of cleaning.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,182.0.html
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:46 pm

I can understand lapping a rifle bbl or pistol bbl, but not a shotgun bbl. Something that does work for making a barrel easy to clean is after you clean it with whatever solvent you use, run a patch of Tetra gun Lube or Conditioner down the barrel.
I shoot a lot of trap and skeet, and since I have been using this method the barrels do not grab wad and powder fouling and are much easier to clean.
Happy Shooting, I love those old Model 11's
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:11 pm

There is not one single product you can put into your barrel that will stay in that barrel for more than a couple shots if that. It's that simple. NOTHING you add to the surface of the bore can withstand the intense friction and heat created from a load of shot traveling do the barrel. Super cleaning, polishing and then super cleaning your barrel doesn't just make the bore all shiny. It removes and smooths out microscopic imperfections on the metal and takes away the very thing that fouling hangs onto...the tiny, almost invisible rough spots in the metal.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby flyndutchman » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 pm

Brownells has a product called Dyna Bore Coat. It is an epoxy/ceremaic product you can coat the bore with. Have not personally tried it in a shotgun yet but it made my rifle shooting buddy's old pitted bore 222 rem into a shooter. I'm going to try it on my 1187 that the previous owner did some work to the forcing cone on and didn't polish up very well. Its marketing claim is that it fills imperfections in the bore. You first degrease the barrel then swab in a thin coat and let the barrel stand on its muzzel for at least 4 hours then shoot the gun to warm it up and finish curing.
flyndutchman
hunter

Postby killingtime » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:38 pm

thanx for the site on polishing look,s like a good sunday project. :yes:
killingtime
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:20 pm

The thing about the barrel coat stuff is that you need to clean the rifle to bare metal (which was usually pretty mistreated and fouled to begin in the first place) and then run JB bore paste through it which polishes the barrel and removes a lot of rough spots and imperfections to begin with. My gunsmith uses jb to hand lap barrels and they come out mirror smooth and clean up much faster and easier than before the lap.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:38 pm

I hae used JB Bore Cleaner for almost 50 years on rifles, and there is none better. Never thought to use it on a shotgun, I have to give it a try. Thanx
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:50 pm

JB, some kroils or PB blaster and a piece of green Scotch Brite pad on a phospho brush will polish your barrel well. I have done 8 835 barrels (5 of my own) for turkey guns and all 8 came out looking like they were chromed! And I had one of my own hard chromed and the polished bbls pattern just as well and cleaned just as easy as the $130.00 chrome lined jobber. Figures... :lol3:
dsm16428
hunter

Postby bulletman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:26 pm

dsm,

do a bit of research on molybendium disulfide (if I got the spelling right),,,,,,,, if it will coat and remain the the barrel of a high velocity centerfire rifle it will most likely stay in a shotgun barrel.............
bulletman
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:03 pm

bulletman wrote:dsm,

do a bit of research on molybendium disulfide (if I got the spelling right),,,,,,,, if it will coat and remain the the barrel of a high velocity centerfire rifle it will most likely stay in a shotgun barrel.............

No. It will BUILD UP in a barrel and can cause increased pressures just ike any other type of fouling. It's used to coat bullets to reduce friction and MUST be almost cmpletely wiped away in order to keep from filling the lands and grooves of the rifle barrel and causing pressure issues. This isn't exactly my first rodeo. Been at this for a day or three. I've been reloading and doing work on my own firearms AND was the retail buyer for my old store for firearms, accessories and reloading supplies for almost 10 years and was on the CATM team in the USAF. You also don't see moly used too much any more because of the somewhat corrosive and toxic properties it has...
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:23 am

Never put silicone on moving parts it will sieze up and ruin your gun. A friend ruined his Browining auto 2 shot by doing this. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby killingtime » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:11 am

i did the scotch brite polish, on the old mod 11, are u kidding!!!!man it look,s soo,good! thanx man. :bow: :beer:
killingtime
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:32 am

killingtime wrote:i did the scotch brite polish, on the old mod 11, are u kidding!!!!man it look,s soo,good! thanx man. :bow: :beer:

Wait till it comes time to clean it. That's when you'll really appreciate it. Your welcome! :beer:
dsm16428
hunter

Postby killingtime » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:47 pm

allredy have,pulled a string an a rag down after shooting it this morn,look,s as good a before 1round ,have 2 bud,s doing same,this weekend!
killingtime
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum