Best DIY camo method??

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Best DIY camo method??

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Well guys, my buddy wants to buy his first shotgun. Hes one of those " needs to be custom " kind of guys. I told him 170$ used pump at the local gun shop, then we can camo it ourselves. Anyways, ive seen quite a few options. im asking for some insight on them
1- mossy oak one sized fits all camo skin ( sticker looking thing )
2- homemade paint job like the top topic on the reg. shotgun forum.
3- DIY hydro dipping kit.

He really liked the homemade paint job, but im confident in my ability to do any of these myself. Any advise?? :help:
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Re: Best DIY camo method??

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:47 pm

send it off to get dipped right, keep it as is, or prep and spray paint if hes hard up for cash
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 23yearsago » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:29 am

BEST DIY.....Krylon camo paints.
De-grease the gun surface with thinner. Pick your basecoat color, usually green or tan, grab a handful of long-bladed grass, maybe a couple twigs mixed in and hold that handful against the gun an spray over it with what ever colors and pattern you like. YOU'RE DONE.
If it gets scuffed over the season re-do it, maybe $10-15 tied up in paint that'll do a few guns.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:43 pm

HI DUCKMAN, its just like 23years wrote, also in the shotgun forum third post from the top of the page under STEPS TO PAINTING A SHOTGUN (DIAL UP USERS BEWARE) I have done two shotguns one rifle and a boat and an ice chest oh and a bike and an end table wife loves it hahahah not. all turned out sic. so simple. the first time i did my shotgun i cut a scale size gun from card board and went to town. nutn to it but to do it. gets scuffed up hit it again no big deal. oh and cheep and fun. good luck. salt
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:11 am

I take the lazy way out and pay the $190 to have it done professionally. By the time I clean, prep, and paint or dip a gun I have more invested in it than I do by mailing it off. :lol3:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dog Tired » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:00 am

I used the mossy oak $25 tape. Cut it custom to my gun with an exacto and the. Hit it with the wife's blow dryer. Instant mossy oak duck blind shotgun. Held up last season with little to no wear and all I have to clean is the guts and vent rib.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:19 am

DIY paintjob on shotgun forum. I did my 870 and it came out awesome
Gabagool
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum