Mossberg 935 help

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Mossberg 935 help

Postby gearhead80 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:53 pm

SO a buddy of mine bought a slightly used 935 for $300 from a private seller. He brought it home and took it apart and cleaned it. We went to shoot some trap with it today and basically the bolt will not close far enough to allow the gun to fire at all. Took it back apart and it seems the bolt is fairly smooth operating until the ejector arm contacts the barrel. Any suggestions??
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Re: Mossberg 935 help

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:02 pm

Im suprised Jon ( Ned S. ) hasnt jumped on this one yet lol. I found you this video, did he shoot it before he took it apart? because if not, then itl be hard to tell if its the reassembly, or the gun itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upe9oW8BN50
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:21 am

I don't believe he did. But yea I hear ya. I'm just trying to help him out and I know nothing of the gun. It's supposed to only have 3 boxes of shells run through it. So it really shouldn't have been that dirty but hey..
gearhead80
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:53 am

Read the manual. Clean the gun using Carb Cleaner. Turn up the water heater. Coat all the moving parts with valve seating compound and cycle 100 times. Disassemble and clean with the hot water. Lightly oil with Hoppes gun oil, do not use Rem 0il. wipe and blow off the excessive oil with a compressor. Put a shell in the chamber and slam shut. Add two more to the magazine. It should now cycle. If not send it to Mossberg. Good luck. Don't forget to turn the water heater down. Mossberg told me not to use Rem Oil when I asked them what to use. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby baglimit » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:09 am

not surprised mossbergs are real piles of crap- I have a 935 boat anchor trust me get rid of it, even if u do get it to work it will only last about a case of shells before the hammer, sear and firing pin wear out.
baglimit
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:44 am

I have had my 935 for 6 years and probably killed more geese with it than you have. Never a failure except when I first got it I tried to use Rem Oil in it. Went to Hoppes and have had no problems with it. You have to be smarter than your gun. Ned S the young 84 yr old.
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:24 pm

I'd be wary of using carb cleaner. It can melt plastics and camo jobs. QD electronics cleaner cleans well but is safe to use on plastics.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:45 am

Carb cleaner does not affect the 935 plastic or the Excell plastic. I checked it first Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby StevenL » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:14 pm

gearhead80 wrote:SO a buddy of mine bought a slightly used 935 for $300 from a private seller. He brought it home and took it apart and cleaned it. We went to shoot some trap with it today and basically the bolt will not close far enough to allow the gun to fire at all. Took it back apart and it seems the bolt is fairly smooth operating until the ejector arm contacts the barrel. Any suggestions??

Your observation that the bolt fails to close when the extractor reaches the barrel breach suggests that the barrel is not properly seated in the receiver. Follow the link below for a pdf owners manual then scroll down on that page to the 930/935. Remove the barrel assembly and forearm grip again according to the instructions, then reassemble according to the same instructions making careful notice of the illustrations. Once accomplished, the shotgun can be dry fired with a spent cartridge in the chamber –and if the hammer falls, you did it right. But hey, don’t be surprised if the 935 fails to cycle field or trap loads; they will fire 2 ¾” cartridges but for effective cycling requirements they need to be 1400-1500 fps or better. If you don’t believe me, try it.
If the same symptoms persist go to the Mossberg website and follow the instructions found under the customer service tab for returning your firearm for service or repair.

http://www.mossberg.com/service/manuals
StevenL
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:07 am

Well, he found the problem to be a certain spring was in backwards. There is a certain youtube video that is incorrect. Live and learn I guess. He is happy it goes boom and seems to run at least hunting shells with no problem. Thanks for the input guys. :beer:
gearhead80
hunter

Postby StevenL » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:50 am

That's a success story right there.
StevenL
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:45 am

It's' impossible to get the magazine or bolt spring in backwards, they work either way!!!!!??????????? Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby nick935 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:11 pm

Yes the spring does have to go in a certain spot. If its not in the right spot the gun will not allow the chamber to close all the way. Trust me im the one with the 935.
nick935
Newb

Postby nick935 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:13 pm

yes the spring can go either way if its in the right spot but if you put the gun together wrong and the spring isn't in its correct spot it will not work. Damn youtube video.
nick935
Newb

Postby Jon Bergren » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:41 pm

What spring are you talking about????? In the magazine tube or on the outside? Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:55 pm

nick935 wrote:yes the spring can go either way if its in the right spot but if you put the gun together wrong and the spring isn't in its correct spot it will not work. Damn youtube video.

sorry :rolleyes:
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum