Maxus cycling issues on 3rd shell

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Maxus cycling issues on 3rd shell

Postby akdiesel » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:10 pm

At the end of last season I stripped my maxus down to bar bones and cleaned it (mag tube and spring included). Also just received my piston back from SRM getting sealed. Shooting 3.5" loads this morning shots one and two cycled flawlessly, the third shell not so much. It wouldn't make it out of the mag tube. But worked fine when I manually cycled the action.
Then this afternoon shooting light 2.75" shells again shots one and two cycled flawlessly but the third would not, but not everytime. This time though it would make it out of the mag tube just not get chambered, and again I would have to cycle manually. This is my third season with the gun and the first time it has given me any kind of hiccup.

I'm thinking I need a new mag tube spring? Any help?

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Re: Maxus cycling issues on 3rd shell

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:50 pm

I had the same jam in my Silver Hunter. Found a small rust deposit growing inside the mag tube. It wasn't enough to stop the plunger from moving but it slowed it down enough to throw everything out of time. I used a 10 gauge bore brosh wrapped in steel wool to polish it out.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:53 am

Ok cool I will check that out this afternoon.
On another note I am very happy with the sealed piston. I actually feel that it has reduced recoil. I shot it side by side my 11-87 and the Maxus was always softer than it but I felt a much bigger difference with the sealed piston.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby akdiesel » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:18 pm

clampdaddy wrote:I had the same jam in my Silver Hunter. Found a small rust deposit growing inside the mag tube. It wasn't enough to stop the plunger from moving but it slowed it down enough to throw everything out of time. I used a 10 gauge bore brosh wrapped in steel wool to polish it out.

Stripped it down was clean to the touch and white rag. I ran a 10ga bore brush wrapped in steel wool down it anyways. I very lightly polished the spring follower. I will take it out tomorrow afternoon and put it through its paces and see what happens.

Honkers- 7
BWT- 0.5
Doves- 42
akdiesel
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Only other thing I can think of is that maybe the shell catch is hanging up on the head of the shell in the mag. One of my Brownings did that (can't remember which one) but it only did it after the first shot when there was still two shells in the mag. I pulled the latch and gave it a de-horn job with a dremmel which fixed it up. I ended up doing my other gun too, just for good measure.
clampdaddy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum