Benelli Stovepipe

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Benelli Stovepipe

Postby mark29860 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:33 pm

Hello everyone I have hunted with a Benelli M2 12 ga.for 5 years without a single issue, liked it so much bought myself a M2 20 ga. this summer I've probably got about 100 rounds through it mostly heavy field loads today when I shot it threw the shell out but only half way I'm pretty sure they call that stove piping it only happened once what would be the cause go it happening . Thanks
mark29860
hunter

Re: Benelli Stovepipe

Postby geordie tom » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:41 am

My guess is you most probably have not quite had the gun seated properly in the shoulder, this happens often without you even realizing it. I tend to get this on overhead shots with heavier loads my SBE 1 was prone to this the vinchi less so.
geordie tom
hunter

Postby rerhardt » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Just stupid back luck!! go to you tube and look up a video on a benelli working in slow motion, after watching this you will realize how it could happen
rerhardt
hunter

Postby mustang6 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:05 am

I had the same issue and I had some fouling/old powder residue in/behind the ejector. Took it to the gunsmith, he noticed it, cleaned it out with his tools, and now works great. Hope it helps.
mustang6
hunter

Postby gooseman1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:57 am

Recoil spring in stock could be getting weak?
gooseman1
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:36 am

It is highly unlikely that the recoil spring has weakened after just 100 rounds (unless the gun was purchased used). That said it would be a good idea to disassemble the recoil assembly and make sure nothing has gummed it up and everything is running smoothly. I would also completely disassemble the rest of the gun and do a thorough cleaning & lube (a 15 minute job at the most) just to make sure all other parts are in proper order. Some new guns are so packed with grease from the factory that ejectors can get easily gummed up.

Other than that it is a known fact that inertia guns do require a solid shoulder mount to properly operate as the lack of (or drastically reduced) rearward movement of the gun upon firing is the main aspect of the inertia action...if it is not solidly shouldered there is a good chance of stovepiping.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum