benelli cast adjustment?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

benelli cast adjustment?

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:02 am

My sbe2 has more cast than I'd like. I was thinking of making a new plate (the one that goes inside the stock) with a hole drilled in the center. Could I just leave out the thin cast shim and run the drop shim only? Any thoughts?
clampdaddy
hunter

Re: benelli cast adjustment?

Postby z51 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:32 am

Although I don't have an SBE I see no reason why that wouldn't work just fine.
z51
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:11 am

That's what I'm thinking. At the pattern board I'm making fairly well centered hits with the cast shim in the gun but for some reason I seem to make better hits in the field with my guns that have a neutral cast. I probably really need to have someone that know what to look for actually watch me shoot and see what I'm doing differently.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby flyndutchman » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:16 am

Set it up with the shims as described in the manual or you run the risk of bending the action spring tube and it won't cycle. There should be a plate supplied in the shim kit that allows you to have neutral cast.
flyndutchman
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:06 am

FYI , Fellas that don't shoulder the gun in the pocket of the shoulder have this problem ( gun shooting left or right ) !

By making sure it is in the same location , sucked in the shoulder pocket and off the shoulder muscle , high enough
so you don't have to lean your head over to look down the barrel , will correct most alignments without changing shims !

Fitting a gun to you , does come first Though ! :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:10 am

flyndutchman wrote:Set it up with the shims as described in the manual or you run the risk of bending the action spring tube and it won't cycle. There should be a plate supplied in the shim kit that allows you to have neutral cast.

Nope. It came with two stock plates that will do right or left cast but none for a neutral cast.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:38 am

Well ...........don't use one ? :huh: :yes: :hi: :fingerhead:

This seems to be another problem for B-guns ? Call the factory and raise Hell ! :lol3: :clapping: :clapping: :lol:
3200 man
hunter

Postby flyndutchman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:07 am

You are correct, no neutral cast plate. My bad. Try contacting Benelli, you would think that option should be available. I can think of a way to do it with a dremel tool and leaving out the cast shim but you woud have to be careful with assembly and making sure the plate stayed in place.
flyndutchman
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:14 pm

flyndutchman wrote:You are correct, no neutral cast plate. My bad. Try contacting Benelli, you would think that option should be available. I can think of a way to do it with a dremel tool and leaving out the cast shim but you woud have to be careful with assembly and making sure the plate stayed in place.

To make sure there's no chance of movement and to make sure everything is aligned and not putting any side load on the recoil assembly tube I think I'm going to run the drop shim, leave out the cast shim, and make a new stock plate out of stainless with the hole drilled to match the verticle location of the correct plate, but centered horizontally instead of off to one side.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby flyndutchman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:35 pm

That should do the job. I was thinking of grinding the existing hole to center, then filling the void with j-b weld to keep it centered. Your new plate is the best bet if Benelli can't supply one.
flyndutchman
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:06 pm

If you put both the right and left shims in you will get neutral.....
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:40 pm

lostknife4 wrote:If you put both the right and left shims in you will get neutral.....
Lost

The left is the right just turned over. you would have to get another shim to do that
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:50 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:
lostknife4 wrote:If you put both the right and left shims in you will get neutral.....
Lost

The left is the right just turned over. you would have to get another shim to do that

They're ~$10USD through Brownell's.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:53 am

clampdaddy wrote:My sbe2 has more cast than I'd like. I was thinking of making a new plate (the one that goes inside the stock) with a hole drilled in the center. Could I just leave out the thin cast shim and run the drop shim only? Any thoughts?

You could order the highest stock comb piece they (Benelli) offer which might work for your particular problem.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:32 am

Clamp

With a small amount taken away from the stock , between the stock and action with a file, and a self made New pcs washer with
the hole centered , you would be good to go !

I know you can do it !

3200 man
3200 man
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum