SBE II Rust bucket

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

SBE II Rust bucket

Postby chaos » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Starting my 3rd season with a black barreled SBE II. Finally got a little moisture out here in West Texas. Ended they hunt Saturday morning with an ORANGE barreled gun. Air was damp, rain stopped previous day.

Admittedly, I do use this gun HARD. But, I have wiped her down with CLP soaked rag after every use. The only gun I've ever seen this on is a BPS that I had as a kid. Damn thing would rust if you passed it with a glass of water.

I'm thinking of just painting the gun, or some other do it yourself coating.

How do I remove the barrel beads to do so? Any recommendations on a paint/coating that might be a bit tougher than this factory applied TRASH?
chaos
hunter

SBE II Rust bucket

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:44 pm

So you're wanting to spray paint a $1400 gun? I can promise ya if you cheap out on this step you will regret it and cut the value of it in half if you ever decide to sell it. Find a legitimate company to hyrodip it or do like I did and hydrodip the plastics and cerakote the metals

Ask yourself this. Had you rather have a shoddy looking rattlecan paint job or something that looks like this.....

Which might I add I got $300 over what I had in total solely because of the dip and cerakote job. No way it would have brought what it did just stock or much less spray painted or a DIY kit
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Re: SBE II Rust bucket

Postby chaos » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:57 pm

Luvbowhuntn wrote:So you're wanting to spray paint a $1400 gun? I can promise ya if you cheap out on this step you will regret it and cut the value of it in half if you ever decide to sell it. Find a legitimate company to hyrodip it or do like I did and hydrodip the plastics and cerakote the metals

Ask yourself this. Had you rather have a shoddy looking rattlecan paint job or something that looks like this.....

Which might I add I got $300 over what I had in total solely because of the dip and cerakote job. No way it would have brought what it did just stock or much less spray painted or a DIY kit

No offense Sir, but that gun is a mere tool. I could care less what it looks like within reason. I need to do something to stop the surface rust before it becomes an issue.

Although your firearm does look nice,
I find it assinine that such a delicate finish would be put on a waterfowl shotgun to begin with. And Im not about to get spendy on a designer finish. I have ZERO faith that this gun will make it another 3 years. It has functioned as advertised thus far. The internal rails of the aluminum receiver are however BEAT TO HELL on this gun. When it ceases to function because of this issue. I'll chop it in half with my abrasive cut off saw and toss it in the scrap pile.
chaos
hunter

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Get the barrel and receiver ceracoted, I had a browning 10ga and it would rust at the site of water since ceracoted no problem
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Postby z51 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:14 pm

Take the barrel to a local gunsmith shop and have him refinish the barrel with a hot tank process. It's the cheapest good solution.
z51
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:41 am

I take it that your looking for cheap way to stop rust and do not want to spend the money by sending it off ect.

if you want to re-blue the bbl your self you can use the cold bluing process.

one of the better ones is brownell's oxpho-blue products. there's some prep work of coarse, then you use steel wool to apply(if use steel wool make sure to degrease the steel wool first before using) with something like acetone ect. you can use cottonballs too but that steel wool (fine) works perty good.

you do know that when your receiver gets to were the steel parts that have turned your reciever to no end and gets to were things get really loose and or breaks at seems of channels ect that you can get new receiver and your back to square one again. a new receiver with different serial number and away you go again at fraction of the cost.

so with tha being said the cold blue/sending off for hot bluing or just painting yourself can turn out perty nice if take your time and use the right products. or if going to never sell it that just go get ya some rustolium ultra flat paint and paint away after surface prep. it will last for years and control the rust for ya. if it looks bad down road-- remove paint and just paint away again. just plug the bbl with playdoh ,tape the bead(reciever you can tape the edges so spray does not get into functioning/inside part with painters tape and go to town, degrease with brake cleaner or acetone, heat the surface around the ribs ect with air dryer and then degrease the bbl again do that couple times to make sure all oil is not there any more than rough up surface with scotch brite pads green heavy duty ones, acetone again then paint away.

make sure to have on powder free gloves to keep oils from hands off the pieces being painted through the process.

those are some of the do it yourself projects that you can do at home with ease. especially with duck season upon us right know if send it away might not get it back at certain places some would be week /some months/some forever.

good luck with your choice
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Gun Coat. you will need to media blast the barrel then spray it with 2 or 3 VERY thin coats. Bake in oven and you will never have an issue with it.

I am really surprised your having rust issues at all. my black SBE has not only been put away wet but has been forgotten and stored that way for several days and never rusted. although I wipe mine down with my own gun oil mix and then a dry rag I would still not expect it to rust even of not protected. Only ever seen this with Remington sportsman series where they turn brown at any sign of moisture.

The front bead unscrews and the rear I believe is pressed in and you will probably destroy it trying to remove it. Just leave the read bead alone then hit is with a dremel and wire brush after painting and it will be fine. just use painters tape around it to protect the finish
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Idaho Savage » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:56 pm

My SBE went 12 years without rusting. Finally, last season, it started to rust. I took it to a gun smith and had it cerakoted in flat earth and OD green. Also had a new spring installed for good measure. Whole thing cost me $350 and it is literally like a new Benelli. Totally worth it, if you ask me.
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:55 pm

I had my HkSBE camo dipped in max4 due to continued fight with rust on the barrel. I had it done by Color and Camo which ran me $225 which includes shipping cost both ways. It was worth every penny.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby cock429eye » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:41 pm

I have rattle can three ar-15 and it didn't lower there value we start with tan all over the gun then we go to green about 60 % light spray then we lay cane or palmetto leafs and do just the silhouette with black and then we give it few light dust of a maroon color.
cock429eye
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:07 pm

cock429eye wrote:I have rattle can three ar-15 and it didn't lower there value we start with tan all over the gun then we go to green about 60 % light spray then we lay cane or palmetto leafs and do just the silhouette with black and then we give it few light dust of a maroon color.

that looks so cheap and trashy IMO. I know a guy who did that to a stainless Remington 700 270 rifle and honestly it looked terrible after. I'm sure it would blend in, but there is no way I'm ruining a gun with spray paint.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:27 pm

Check youtube, there are a couple vids of guys painting rifles with krylon camo spray.. they look FANTASTIC when its all done. Not the HD look of a dip, but still looks freaking amazing.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:57 pm

I dont care how you paint a shotgun, it is going to lower its value! I have an art background and dont doubt I could make a painted shotgun look like I intended. I still spend the money and go with the dip job. Just be careful who you send it to. Even having one dipped can become a nighmare.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:53 am

I'll tell you what I did to all my black guns. I worked at a powerd coating plant one summer. I simply took the barrels off which had spot rust just like your experiencing, sandblasted them to get all of the original blueing off or what was left of it, then I powder coated them black to match the gun. I did it for free after hours; but I'm pretty sure just about any powder coating shop will do it for next to nothing....they will only have maybe 30 min of work in it. Make sure they tape off the bore of the barrel as well as the underside of the barrel where the action is. I did that 4 season ago and by far the best thing I have done for them. That stuff will last a life time.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby jdr » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:09 pm

chaos wrote:Starting my 3rd season with a black barreled SBE II. Finally got a little moisture out here in West Texas. Ended they hunt Saturday morning with an ORANGE barreled gun. Air was damp, rain stopped previous day.

Admittedly, I do use this gun HARD. But, I have wiped her down with CLP soaked rag after every use. The only gun I've ever seen this on is a BPS that I had as a kid. Damn thing would rust if you passed it with a glass of water.

How do I remove the barrel beads to do so? Any recommendations on a paint/coating that might be a bit tougher than this factory applied TRASH?

I feel just like you do sir, these guns are tools. Get some good acetone and clean it off really well, and then spray paint it with some of the Krylon Camo stuff. Cheap and will keep it from rusting. When you sell it, let the next guy clean it off and have it dipped.
jdr
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:16 pm

jdr wrote:
chaos wrote:Starting my 3rd season with a black barreled SBE II. Finally got a little moisture out here in West Texas. Ended they hunt Saturday morning with an ORANGE barreled gun. Air was damp, rain stopped previous day.

I feel just like you do sir, these guns are tools. Get some good acetone and clean it off really well, and then spray paint it with some of the Krylon Camo stuff. Cheap and will keep it from rusting. When you sell it, let the next guy clean it off and have it dipped.

X 100 on the Krylon!!

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby MSparks909 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Cerakote. That is all. Expensive, yes but also worth it.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:52 pm

MSparks909 wrote:Cerakote. That is all. Expensive, yes but also worth it.

X 2.
Dipping is for guys that think their gun camo needs to match their jacket camo which needs to match their bibs camo which needs to match their face paint.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:07 pm

hey man, i feel where your coming from, nowadays waterfowler models either have the dip jobs or the matte finishes which just rub right off ( first hand experiance with a 5 month old shotgun ). If you trust yourself enough, google cerakote, watch the video and order a pint for like 90$ Its some sort of 2 mixture solution that must be sprayed on then baked for an hour, i watched a guy on youtube who did it then just let it dry.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:41 am

I painted my 870 (just the steel) way back when and after I quit using it I just took some acetone and steel wool to it and you would never have known it wasever painted........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:47 am

Carried my Browning Cynergy with MODB coating now for 3 seasons. One of the seasons was in Louisiana marsh. I have never had any problems with rusting except the choke tube and choke tube threads rusted during my season in Louisiana.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:47 am

Just because you see a gun as a tool doesn't mean its ok to abuse and neglect it. Take care of your tools and they will take care of you.

Wipe the barrel down with some sort of solvent. Hit the rust spots with some 0000 steel wool, then spray down with a heavy coat of cop and let it dry. Repeat this several times. When you get in from hunting take the gun out of its sleeve or case. I have a 10 year old black benelli that is rust free because I take care of my gear.

And spray painting a gun doesn't always devalue a gun. It may not increase the value, but done right it wont decrease it either.

Rust bucket 870
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Have several of my Benelli/Beretta/Browning(s) either dipped and/or Cerakote'd. The dipped guns are still at a slight risk for corrosion should the film become worn/torn and allow moisture to seep under it, in which case, the damage may not be discovered until it is significant, in size and scope.

The Benelli/Beretta's that are CeraKote'd have alloy, stainless, chrome and synthetic on 99% of the other parts making them as "bulletproof" as you can get for corrosion resistance.

Yep, they are tools but like the man said, take care of them and they will take care of you.

You can go first-class once, or second-class twice.
Last edited by Yuchi1 on Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Operator error on taking proper care of such a nice gun. I hunt coastal Louisiana in saltwater marsh and hunt nearly 50 of the 60 days of the season annually, not including every day of Teal Season. Been using my Benelli for 5 years / seasons now and Zero rust on the it. Even dropped it in the water several times.

Buddy of mine was given a SBE which had been sitting in a damp gun case for 3 years from the previous owner. Barrel was rusted pretty good. I brought it to a friend of mine and had him bead blast it for me and put Cerakote on it for $75. Gun looks brand new now.

Couple of my friends have used Duracoat on their guns also. Seems to hold up well and is cheap.
http://duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:12 pm

When I get home from hunting in any weather I take my SBE out of the case and let it dry out. Any shotgun left in a case with a factory black finish and any moisture will rust. My SBE had surface rust after I forgot to take it out of case. So did my hunting partner with a brand new a400. Coating it would help the exterior but not the rest of shotgun.
Baher20018
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum