Browning Gold 10 cycling/feed issue

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Browning Gold 10 cycling/feed issue

Postby Rob MacK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:24 am

A friend of my has a new Gold 10. It will not cycle the second shell. What happens is the bolt does not seat fully against the chamber on the second shell yet it does fit properly when loaded by hand. There are visable markings on the reciever nearest the chamber (bottom right side if you face the barrel away from you). It looks like the bottom portion of the bolt is "hitting" the reciever in that area. It has gouged about a 1/16" or less out of the reciever very close to the chamber/barrel where the "rounded" portion of the reciever meets the barrel, you can see shiney bright metal.

Its almost like when the bolt comes back after fireing it's angled too far down if you will and strikes that area of the reciever.

I handeled that gun for a bit and not having played with one much I was very surprised as to how nimble it was to handle. No different than my 12 really.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Rob
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Re: Browning Gold 10 cycling/feed issue

Postby 3200 man » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:21 am

Rob , Check and see if the actuator rod is installed up-side down ( the link between the bolt and plunger) ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:08 am

Sounds like he didn't assemble the gun correctly.
Disassemble it and make sure the piston rod ,the small pin with the spring on it attached to the piston tube, is seated properly and can move freely in the guide hole for it. While your at it make sure the bronze piston ring has the beveled edge facing forward toward the muzzle of the gun when assembled, that's the most common mistake made and will cause cycling issues.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:26 am

Rob

When you find the problem , let us know ?

Thanks

3200 man
3200 man
hunter

Postby goose_gunner » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 pm

is it with Remington ammo by any chance
There is a special place in duck hunting hell for sky busters
goose_gunner
hunter

Postby Rob MacK » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:01 am

goose_gunner wrote:is it with Remington ammo by any chance

As far as I know it was Fed and Rem ammo, I am going to check in with him soon to see if he has found anything.

Rob
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby Rob MacK » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:00 pm

The gun has gone to Browning for warranty work I will let you know what they found ....could be a while.

Rob
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby goose_gunner » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:37 am

it sounds like some thing weird going on also the Remington 10ga 13/4oz may not always run 100% of the time in autos
There is a special place in duck hunting hell for sky busters
goose_gunner
hunter

Postby Rob MacK » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:31 am

Ok so my friend got his gun back. Browning said it was "dirty", he is not buying that. The gun looked clean from what I could see. Not sure how cleaning could cause it to mark up the reciever. At any rate it seems to work fine now....so far.

Rob
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Rob MacK wrote:Ok so my friend got his gun back. Browning said it was "dirty", he is not buying that. The gun looked clean from what I could see. Not sure how cleaning could cause it to mark up the reciever. At any rate it seems to work fine now....so far.

Rob

I agree and think the browning people are full of it on just being dirty
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby dduckman » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:54 pm

Never can get a straight answer from Factory service! sent a gold ten back once that was jacked, came back and worked perfect with zero explanation!
dduckman
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:12 pm

I am just guessing about your friend's problem going from my own experience with the Gold 10. My guess is he had the hat ring upside down that fits on the end of the mag tube. This hat ring is part of the gas system. It will shoot and operate some with it on upside down but not correctly. I call it the hat ring because it looks like a hat with a hole through it. If its brim is upside down when or towards the muzzle when instaled, that is correct. If not, it will cause the same problem your friend was having. This is very common to get this ring upside down until he learns better. Most likely, when Browning got his gun, they assembled it correctly and the gun was good to go. It was easier to say it was dirty than to explain all of this.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Rob MacK » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:20 am

10gaOkie wrote:I am just guessing about your friend's problem going from my own experience with the Gold 10. My guess is he had the hat ring upside down that fits on the end of the mag tube. This hat ring is part of the gas system. It will shoot and operate some with it on upside down but not correctly. I call it the hat ring because it looks like a hat with a hole through it. If its brim is upside down when or towards the muzzle when instaled, that is correct. If not, it will cause the same problem your friend was having. This is very common to get this ring upside down until he learns better. Most likely, when Browning got his gun, they assembled it correctly and the gun was good to go. It was easier to say it was dirty than to explain all of this.

Chris

Very possible Chris I cant confirm it but I will pass that a long so he knows to look out for it.

Thanks

Rob
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:28 am

Rob
Having this hat ring installed wrong is just like having the O ring in the wrong place on gas autos that have them. In both cases, the gun will still function sort of but not like you expect it to.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum