Help. SBE cycling question for new guy.

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Help. SBE cycling question for new guy.

Postby Dab867 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:02 pm

I am not familiar with Benellis but just picked up an older SBE from a friend who never uses it to borrow for an upcoming pheasant hunt. I have not shot the gun but when working the action and cycling shells, I have to hit the cartridge drop lever to get every round out of the magazine tube. Is this normal? I've never dealt with a cartridge drop lever so I'm not sure if will function normally with the pull of the trigger or what may be causing the problem.
Dab867
Newb

Re: Help. SBE cycling question for new guy.

Postby BBK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Yes, completely normal. A cartridge won't drop unless you pull the trigger or push the lever. Don't ask me what the purpose is.... Goofy Italians :rolleyes:
BBK
hunter

Postby Dab867 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks for the help. I should have downloaded the manual first.
Dab867
Newb

Postby BBK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:29 pm

I will say, the one great thing about that is the ability to make the gun safe without having to totally unload it. For instance if you had to cross a fence or go through some really thick stuff while upland hunting, you can pop out the one in the chamber instead of totally unloading the gun.

Another one I will be trying out this year. Two loads of #1 in the tube and one #4 in the chamber. That way I'm good on ducks, first shot for killing second and third for clean-up, and if a goose is coming I can pop out the #4 and throw in a #1 in a second.
BBK
hunter

Postby malik123 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:11 am

I will say, the one great thing about that is the ability to make the gun safe without having to totally unload it. For instance if you had to cross a fence or go through some really thick stuff while upland hunting, you can pop out the one in the chamber instead of totally unloading the gun.
malik123
Newb

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:47 pm

It is great to have the ability to switch rounds in the chamber without having to effect the magazine. Sort of like the browning magazine cut-off without having to flip a lever. And on the browning If you forget to flip it back you have a single shot. Not an issue with the Benelli's. I use it a lot when hunting the marsh loaded with #4's for woodies and that lone goose happens by 50yds out, slip in a BB and drop him like a rock. :thumbsup:
CPL holder since 1991, NRA Lifetime Member, DU Member, NICET certified

"For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.—Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum