Just bought a SP 10 - advice

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Just bought a SP 10 - advice

Postby macdaddy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:07 pm

Never owned a gas - op gun before. Just bought a used SP 10. What to look for? Proper cleaning.

From you folks I would like:
1) advice to keep me shooting my SP 10 for years;
2) ball busting to keep me chuckling for decades.

I can finally afford one, and d@mned Remington quit making them.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Re: Just bought a SP 10 - advice

Postby BT Justice » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:13 am

The owners manual is a good reference on disassembly and cleaning of the SP-10. Remington highlights the parts that need to be kept clean, the gas piston area is really important and needs to be cleaned well.
I'd also check the buffers, the slide extension buffer usually wears out fast...don't even know if you can get them from Remington anymore.
Here's the manuals in PDF form if you don't have one.
http://www.remington.com/Pages/News-and ... nuals.aspx
BT Justice
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:17 am

BT Justice wrote:The owners manual is a good reference on disassembly and cleaning of the SP-10. Remington highlights the parts that need to be kept clean, the gas piston area is really important and needs to be cleaned well.
I'd also check the buffers, the slide extension buffer usually wears out fast...don't even know if you can get them from Remington anymore.
Here's the manuals in PDF form if you don't have one.
http://www.remington.com/Pages/News-and ... nuals.aspx

Thanks, BT Justice. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:52 pm

I have had several and still have 2 in the safe. Every time I buy a used one I take it completely down, replace the bolt buffer and both the action and magazine springs while giving them a deep cleaning. I have only had issues with them in heavy rain / freezing rain or if you drop in in the water, then the ones I have had become an instant single shot until cleaned out. other than that they work great.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kjl845 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:40 pm

I use nothing but Remington Teflon Dry Lube on the piston assy. and never had any issues. Also changed the springs to a Wolffe kit. You may also want to consider a .720 Terror choke tube, it will crush birds.
kjl845
hunter

Postby BigGoonTuna » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:04 pm

i recently bought an SP10, 1992 mfg by the barrel code. first hunt i took it out on, it fired about 4 or 5 shots then became a single shot. i noticed that it normally shucks hulls about 25 feet from where i'm sitting, it started dropping them at my feet. it would feed a shell, but the bolt would not fully go into battery. i pulled the barrel off to see if anything was weird inside, then noticed that the slide buffer had exploded and jammed up the slide on the magazine tube.

i figure it's because the gun had most likely been sitting in its box for most of its lifetime and gotten brittle. i ordered a couple new ones as well as 2 bolt buffers just in case. brownells has them in stock.
BigGoonTuna
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum