Duck Hunting Forum banner

Is it supposed to look like this?? HELP

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  waterfowlhunter 
#1 ·
Just got my shotgun back from a local hydrographic dipping company and in several places it looks like you can see the undercoat of paint through the camo image. The worst places are over the grooved grip in the stock and forestock. There are also some places where it looks like the pattern was touched up with paint after it was dipped. I have never had a gun dipped before and don't know if this is a "normal" outcome or if the company did a poor job. I should have inspected it more thoroughly at their shop, however I was in a hurry and just took a quick glance before putting it in the case. Just looking for some other opinions before I contact them. I'm not looking to bash a small local business, so I won't post the name, but if it's not done right I want it fixed. Looking for a second opinion. Thanks.

Thanks for the help!

See less See more
#3 ·
I have seen some cheaper jobs look like that. I send out to camo solutions for my customers and my own guns and they do not have the spots like that. I have also seen this on Mossberg and Remington factory camo guns so I would not worry about it too much, it will get worn with use anyway. :beer:

#8 ·
I would take it back to them and have it done correctly. it seems that they did not take the time to inspect it after it was dipped.

#9 ·
EVERY dipped gun regardless of factory job or aftermarket has the same thing in the checkering. I can assure you I've seen more than most folks share of them. But the end of the reciever not getting camo'd is unacceptable by any standards. They should redip your gun

#10 ·
Luvbowhuntn said:
EVERY dipped gun regardless of factory job or aftermarket has the same thing in the checkering.
I can not agree to this, as a dealer and gunsmith I see a lot of guns and have a lot of guns dipped and do not see this very often. I just checked all of my personal Benelli's (factory dipped) and not one has this issue. Also my X2's dipped by Camo solutions do not have this issue in the checkering. But I have seen it on guns the big box stores have had dipped for people and on just about every Remington and Mossberg I get (the 2 930 watchdogs I just received also have no spots in the checkering) . I think some must be using a thinner layer of ink in their process. Still, It will not hurt anything at all. I have even seen some with no color under the rib at all and some with bubbles in the finish.

There is NO missing camo spots in the finish of these pics. you can see shiny spots due to flash but I inspected these very carefully and not one bubble or spot of missing camo.

View attachment 1

View attachment 2

View attachment 3

#11 ·
here is my 935 and it has no issues either. (edited due to not looking at pic before posting) :lame:

#13 ·
They should make it right, otherwise they stand to loose business as word of mouth gets around quickly and they do not want a bad rep.

#15 ·
bubba682 said:
waterfowlhunter said:
here is my X2 and it has no issues either.

if thats an x2 you got problems cause that looks identicle to the parts in my 935 lol
Believe your right. It looks nothing like my SX2.

#17 ·
LOL, yep that's the 935, Grabbed the wrong pic. I no longer have that one but still have the X2's. nothing wrong with the gun, just did not feel good in my hands.

#18 ·
I was way off :fingerhead: , My X2's are factory dipped dura-touch. Damn, I need to handle my guns more often I guess... :hi: Apparently the ones I had dipped were customers guns but still never noticed any spots of missing camo.

#19 ·
Funny that it took 205 views before someone noticed the mistake. I am not even sure if that 935 was factory dipped or I had it done.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.