Is it supposed to look like this?? HELP

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Is it supposed to look like this?? HELP

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:07 pm

Just got my shotgun back from a local hydrographic dipping company and in several places it looks like you can see the undercoat of paint through the camo image. The worst places are over the grooved grip in the stock and forestock. There are also some places where it looks like the pattern was touched up with paint after it was dipped. I have never had a gun dipped before and don't know if this is a "normal" outcome or if the company did a poor job. I should have inspected it more thoroughly at their shop, however I was in a hurry and just took a quick glance before putting it in the case. Just looking for some other opinions before I contact them. I'm not looking to bash a small local business, so I won't post the name, but if it's not done right I want it fixed. Looking for a second opinion. Thanks.ImageImageImage

Thanks for the help!
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Re: Is it supposed to look like this?? HELP

Postby rerhardt » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:17 pm

I would say its nothing at all to worry about, as long as the clear coat on top is secure nothing will happen to it, dipping is tricky, I had two done and the results are pretty much the as yours
rerhardt
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:35 pm

I have seen some cheaper jobs look like that. I send out to camo solutions for my customers and my own guns and they do not have the spots like that. I have also seen this on Mossberg and Remington factory camo guns so I would not worry about it too much, it will get worn with use anyway. :beer:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks for the reassuring words yall. I'm sure it will work just fine. Guess I'm a perfectionist.

waterfowlhunter wrote:I have seen some cheaper jobs look like that.

Unfortunately this cost me $185...
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Another area of concern I forgot to mention...

End of the receiver somehow didn't get any pattern just the base layer paint and clear coat

I guess I'll just see how the finish holds up the first time I use it and if it starts to come off deal with it then.
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:08 pm

get your bps re dipped. complain about the camo job short comings to the company.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:17 pm

The spots in the checkering would bother me a little, but not enough to raise a stink over it. The front of the receiver is another story. They should re-dip your gun.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:06 am

I would take it back to them and have it done correctly. it seems that they did not take the time to inspect it after it was dipped.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:48 am

EVERY dipped gun regardless of factory job or aftermarket has the same thing in the checkering. I can assure you I've seen more than most folks share of them. But the end of the reciever not getting camo'd is unacceptable by any standards. They should redip your gun
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:16 am

Luvbowhuntn wrote:EVERY dipped gun regardless of factory job or aftermarket has the same thing in the checkering.

I can not agree to this, as a dealer and gunsmith I see a lot of guns and have a lot of guns dipped and do not see this very often. I just checked all of my personal Benelli's (factory dipped) and not one has this issue. Also my X2's dipped by Camo solutions do not have this issue in the checkering. But I have seen it on guns the big box stores have had dipped for people and on just about every Remington and Mossberg I get (the 2 930 watchdogs I just received also have no spots in the checkering) . I think some must be using a thinner layer of ink in their process. Still, It will not hurt anything at all. I have even seen some with no color under the rib at all and some with bubbles in the finish.

There is NO missing camo spots in the finish of these pics. you can see shiny spots due to flash but I inspected these very carefully and not one bubble or spot of missing camo.

P1020218.JPG

P1020217.JPG

P1020216.JPG

P1020215.JPG

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:22 am

here is my 935 and it has no issues either. (edited due to not looking at pic before posting) :lame:

2-10-09 004.JPG

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks for the replies y'all. Y'all have some sweet looking guns (and all the dipping jobs looks better than mine lol).

I called the shop and complained this mornin and he said they would take it back and make it right. I'll keep y'all updated.
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:39 am

They should make it right, otherwise they stand to loose business as word of mouth gets around quickly and they do not want a bad rep.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bubba682 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:25 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:here is my X2 and it has no issues either.

2-10-09 004.JPG

if thats an x2 you got problems cause that looks identicle to the parts in my 935 lol
Huntin the barrens of Cape Breton.
bubba682
hunter

Postby triplecurl » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:53 pm

bubba682 wrote:

2-10-09 004.JPG

if thats an x2 you got problems cause that looks identicle to the parts in my 935 lol

Believe your right. It looks nothing like my SX2.
Last night, I dreamed that I killed all the saggers, all the swaggers, and all of their duckface girlfriends...

It was called: The Yolocaust.
triplecurl
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:59 pm

bubba682 wrote:

2-10-09 004.JPG

SHHHHH, poor mans DC SX2
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:46 pm

LOL, yep that's the 935, Grabbed the wrong pic. I no longer have that one but still have the X2's. nothing wrong with the gun, just did not feel good in my hands.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:00 pm

I was way off :fingerhead: , My X2's are factory dipped dura-touch. Damn, I need to handle my guns more often I guess... :hi: Apparently the ones I had dipped were customers guns but still never noticed any spots of missing camo.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Funny that it took 205 views before someone noticed the mistake. I am not even sure if that 935 was factory dipped or I had it done.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum