My New A5 hitting High

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

My New A5 hitting High

Postby Pond_Hopper » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:30 pm

I purchased a A5 and I understand the figure 8 method and keeping the bead below the target, but all the other shotguns I have owned if I lined up both beads together or single bead and put it on the center of the target it was dead on. Will raising or lowering the shims help this, and also would adding a longer comb help? Thanks for the help
Pond_Hopper
hunter

Re: My New A5 hitting High

Postby mawtrfowler » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:56 pm

Lowering the shims will drop the point of impact so long as you don't line up the beads. If you line up the beads then the point of impact won't change. Lowering the shims will bring your stock down along with your eye. If you're wingshooting properly by focusing on only the target and ignoring the beads then you'll be dead on. If you try to sight using the beads then no matter what adjustments you make you will maintain the same POI because you would be moving your head to see the beads.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:39 pm

How high is it actually shooting?
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Pond_Hopper » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:25 pm

I went to shoot a crippled wood duck I knocked down about 10-15 yards out and put both beads on his head (lined both up, end barrel bead, covered up by the middle bead) and it went about 1-2 feet above his head and not one bead hit him. After that I kept aiming the same but I was shooting at the ducks feet, Its just insticts for me to put it on their head, and its hard for me to adjust is all. Just wondering what I can do to help fix this. I did end up lowering the shim but it is still shooting a little high. I guess I need to hit the clay course or go pattern it a ton, and learn to either shot figure 8 or figure something else out. I do appreciate the help and ideas. The last gun I shot when I lined up both beads together it was dead on, thats my goal
Pond_Hopper
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:27 am

What you need to do is go shoot your gun on paper. Use a tight choke and lead loads to start. Shoot from a rest from @16 yards first with the sight picture like you would normally shoot at a dot on the paper. Now do the same at 40 yards. Scribe a 10" circle around the heaviest concentration of shot at 16 yards, and a 30" circle at 40 yards. Only after you shoot paper will you really know where the gun is hitting.
z51
hunter

Postby Pond_Hopper » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:45 pm

yea I did shoot paper and mess with it, its still hitting high. I will have to just keep shooting it and making what ever adjustments I can. Thanks for the tips, just wish I didnt have to mess with it and it was good to go
Pond_Hopper
hunter

Postby cartervj » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:24 pm

I had someone mention theirs hitting high, fortunately mine is dead on. I'd contact Browning.
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby stevo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:53 pm

try a taller fiber optic bead. i use a magnetic one on the v-rib in front of the bead that cost $20.

steve
stevo
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:57 pm

Not trying to jack the thread, I recently purchased an a5 and have yet to monkey with it. My middle bead covers the muzzle bead, is this bad? I feel like it fits and points well.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby bigyin » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:05 am

although not the same gun but i had the same issue with an sx3 shooting waaaay high i doubled up shims for more drop ,fitted a bigger bead onfront but nothing worked ,i wish you luck but i evensually sold that gun as all my others shoot flat
bigyin
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:57 pm

Had the same issue with my sbe2. I switched out the front sight for a taller one and it fixed the problem.
clampdaddy
hunter

My New A5 hitting High

Postby Catdaddy89 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:12 am

In my opinion on your snap shots you aren't correctly sighting before you pull the trigger. I had the exact same problem with my new a-5. I kept aiming low till season ended. I just swapped my comb plate for the #3 it came with. Completely different gun! I love it all over again. Pick a corner in the house and snap up on it. If you notice yourself consciously sinking your head lower to line up than I bet in the heat of the moment your not making it happen. That's what happened to me anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Catdaddy89
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum