please help!!

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

please help!!

Postby shawny90duckboys » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:15 pm

I just bought a moss berg 835 used 3 1/2 works ok but the choke is stuck we tried heating with no luck anyone know a good way to remove the choke ... P.S don't care if the choke gets ruiend ill get a new one
shawny90duckboys
hunter

Re: please help!!

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:10 am

Search here for stuck choke and you will find MANY post. I generally soak them with Kroil for a few hours then if they are still stuck I use a mallet and with the end of the barrel on a hard block of wood (or any hard surface if your not worried about the finish) you hit it pretty hard all the way around the choke and thread area while turning the barrel just be careful of the rib. this will break them loose every time I have had to do it in my shop. usually after a soaking and hammering they screw out fairly easily
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BBK » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:47 pm

You didnt check the barrel/choke before buying it? Hope it isnt swelled in there or you are looking at a couple hundred for a gunsmith to cut it and re-thread it.

Try heating it, try soaking it in oil, and try using force. Just be sure you don't bend the barrel in the process.

Sounds to me like you just found the reason why the guy sold the gun... his choke was stuck and/or barrel ruined :wink:
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:20 am

You can easily buy a replacement barrel, around $100 on Gun Broker and $170 new from Mossberg.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shawny90duckboys » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:32 pm

I have tryed heating it up an soaking it in penatrating fluid and it still would not come out ill have to try somthing
shawny90duckboys
hunter

Postby waterrat2 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:58 pm

put the barrel in the freezer for a few hours. the different metals will contract at different rates.
waterrat2
hunter

Postby billybob123 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:49 am

You might try freezing the whole barrel then heating the outside of the barrel with a hair dryer really quick once it is all frozen. The outer barrel should expand while the choke is still slightly frozen and stay contracted. Just a thought.
billybob123
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:40 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:Search here for stuck choke and you will find MANY post. I generally soak them with Kroil for a few hours then if they are still stuck I use a mallet and with the end of the barrel on a hard block of wood (or any hard surface if your not worried about the finish) you hit it pretty hard all the way around the choke and thread area while turning the barrel just be careful of the rib. this will break them loose every time I have had to do it in my shop. usually after a soaking and hammering they screw out fairly easily

THIS!!!

Don't get in a hurry, I had to submerge the entire end of one of my barrels for 2 days in Kroil. With that barrel I still had to make a custom wrench with long tabs on it so I could get more leverage.

Not all penetrants are created equal. Kroil is pricey but works better than anything I've tried.
z51
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Try some dry ice if you can get your hands on it. Heat the barrel a bit then hit the choke with dry ice. It will cool choke far faster than dunking it and hopefully break it loose.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum