Winchester Super X3

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Winchester Super X3

Postby OregonPete » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:41 am

I bought this awesome gun last season and love it. However, on occasion, it will fire the first shot and not cycle the second shell from magazine to chamber. Seems to especially happen when using 3 1/2" shells. I keep my gun fairly clean, so thinking there must be something else going on. Again, it doesn't happen all the time, so it's kind of perplexing.
OregonPete
Newb

Re: Winchester Super X3

Postby Silverback4jack » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:06 pm

Is it being picky on ammo or do you always feed it the same stuff?
Silverback4jack
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:24 pm

I had a similar problem with my Browning Silver hunter (which is pretty much the same gun). When I manually cycled the action slowly it became apparent that a sharp edge on the shell catch was hanging up on the headstamp of the first shell in the mag. The second shell didn't have as much spring tension pushing on it so the catch would move out of the way with no problem. I pulled the shell catch out and gave it a quick de-horn job with a dremmel and I never had another problem.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby mbhardrockr298 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:52 am

I know this thread is old but I will post my reply for anyone who is searching. I have had the same problem on occasion with my SX3. Everytime I give it a thorough cleaning and make sure the recoil spring gets a few drops of lube in it. This is my first autoloader and I did not know about the recoil spring, seems to do the trick everytime. I am horrible with cleaning my gun, normally do it once after duck/goose season, once after dove season, and once during duck season when it starts acting up.
mbhardrockr298
hunter

Postby SquadIrons » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:47 pm

I just had this problem. The issue is in the recoil spring system in the stock. Give the tube and spring a good clean and light oil and you'll be good to go.
SquadIrons
hunter

Postby Roughneck51 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:21 pm

Does that tube inside of the stock screw out from the back of the receiver??? I took my stock off last night, but couldn't really tell if spring tube is threaded into the receiver, or if it is just pressed in.
Roughneck51
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:46 pm

It's threaded but has thread locking compound on it. Put the receiver in a padded vise and heat the tube with a propane torch, it won't take much. Turn it out with a set of vise grips and an oven glove. It is under spring pressure so hold tight as you unscrew it. Use blue loctite when you reinstall. Your manual as an exploded diagram.
z51
hunter

Postby Roughneck51 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:53 am

Didn't need the heat, but putting it in the vise made all the difference. That tube and spring weren't in as bad of shape as i thought they would be, but I found that I do have a broke spring in the gas piston. So the combination of the two does it. Time to spend some money i guess.

Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:
Roughneck51
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:46 am

It was the spring in the piston for sure if the tube was pretty clean. I've shot my SX 2 for 15 years and never had a piston problem but it is a known issue. Glad to help.
z51
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:10 am

z51 wrote:It's threaded but has thread locking compound on it. Put the receiver in a padded vise and heat the tube with a propane torch, it won't take much. Turn it out with a set of vise grips and an oven glove. It is under spring pressure so hold tight as you unscrew it. Use blue loctite when you reinstall. Your manual as an exploded diagram.

You do not need to remove the tube from the receiver! You only need to remove the spring from the tube! :eek:
mudpack
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:47 pm

Nope, can't get tension off the spring. It's a solid tube. Easier to remove the tube.
z51
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum