sx3 repair

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

sx3 repair

Postby youngoilguy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:06 pm

I had a minor issue with my sx3. I noticed the bolt was closing slowly and with little force so I recognized that I was going to have to replace my action spring at the end of the season. Instead of doing it right away (mistake) I decided I'd see it through the end of the season. The other day, it began to not close completely when I released the bolt when putting in a round. It still shot pretty consistently, but with 3 1/2's there was a delay. The action began to get gummed up real bad. It was very hard to open or close..... I thought there was something more going on. I ordered two new action springs directly from Browning/Winchester. They were $2.00 each and $8.00 to ship total ($8 is their minimum shipping).

After today's hunt (spring not yet arrived) I took it all apart and cleaned the channels inside the receiver that the bolt slides inside of with a good solvent and toothbrush. I usually clean pretty well and put a tiny bit of dri lube in there and wipe off excess with a q tip. A ton of shooting residue came out from the channel. Then I cleaned the action tube assembly very well. lot of shooting residue in there. The mailman brought the new springs and I saw the old one was about an inch shorter than the new ones. I replaced the spring, reassembled and WALA!!!!!! good as new. Not tough to slide, not gummy and spunky and new again.

A $2 fix instead of a $50 gunsmith bill. I thought I'd share to hopefully save somebody assache who may have the same problem and not know how to fix it or what was going on.

I bought gun in spring of 2012 and only use it for hunting. maintained well, but those springs go bad. Its life.

:thumbsup:
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Re: sx3 repair

Postby 23yearsago » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:45 am

WALA.....? :huh: it's VIOLA,, pronounced WALA :lol3: :wink:

I'm surprised at the $2 cost of anything from the manufacturer in a $1000 shotgun. :rolleyes:
23yearsago
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Get your parts from Brownells , most Gunsmiths do.

http://www.brownells.com
War Wagon
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:06 pm

War Wagon wrote:Get your parts from Brownells , most Gunsmiths do.

http://www.brownells.com

I checked there and midway usa first, they dont list one for sx3 :hammer:

and ya, I suck at french
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:56 pm

You are right, they listed only the SX-2's. I sent them a email and see what's up. Glad you got it up and running :clapping:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:59 pm

It would have been fine without the new spring too. You need to deep clean your gun at least once a year. More if you get it real wet.

The new spring will be an inch shorter pretty soon. They all take a set pretty quick. I've replaced mine once in 14 years on my SX2.
z51
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Brownells got back to me and said to call

Midwest Gun Works 1-636-475-7300

Nu Line Guns 1 573-676-5500

They have parts for the SX-3's ... :thumbsup:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:06 am

That new spring you put in will be shorter in about a month, They "set" to a length slightly shorter than when installed once you start using the spring. BUT they really loose tension if you store the gun with the bolt open, Never store your guns with the bolt locked open and I always drop the hammer so there is no tension on that spring either.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby youngoilguy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:55 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:That new spring you put in will be shorter in about a month, They "set" to a length slightly shorter than when installed once you start using the spring. BUT they really loose tension if you store the gun with the bolt open, Never store your guns with the bolt locked open and I always drop the hammer so there is no tension on that spring either.

I do the same. Great advice guys. Thanks.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum