Frog Lube

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Frog Lube

Postby Takeem406 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Can anyone tell me more about this stuff. I've been running Hornady One Shot and it's good stuff but it's expensive and there's not much in a can.
Need something for Cold weather lubing. Seems like the ticket...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Takeem406
hunter

Frog Lube

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:21 am

Here's the scoop from my personal experience with FL. I read all the reviews about this "magical lube". Everyone was so impressed by it and to tell you the truth my BS meter was going off. Bay dogs had a sale on the 4 oz pack of liquid and paste. I decided for 20 bucks shipped I would try it.

I started off using the paste in the summer for clays. I applied it with a hair dryer as directed. I could tell a slight difference in speed of my action. However, when I broke my gun down I was shocked at how much of the crude would just wipe off.

Dove season came and I was still using the paste. We were hunting a wheat field with layouts. The wind was blowing pretty good and I started having cycling issues. I poped my gun apart and there was dirt in it. I wiped it out as I was sitting in the blind. Gave it a doze of the liquid FL and I was good to go.

We have been hunting in some decently cold weather here in OH. I haven't had a problem cycling my sbe2 with it. Now we got down to 5 the last week. I decided it was test time. I cleaned my sbe2 completely out with the paste and left it outside over night. 18 hours in my action started to slow. I pulled the bolt and added a coat of the liquid to the bolt and slides. I left it out there for three days before I finally gave up and brought my gun in. My action however with the liquid on it was moving super fast and smooth. I would say the cold didn't affect it as it cycled at speeds similar to room temp.

Seems like the paste is great for doing a hard clean as it really gets into the hard to reach places. I know my sbe2 likes to be run on the wet side so I find I have better success if I add just a little bit of the liquid to the bolt and slides. The liquid stuff is weird though. I put it in the freezer, an hour later it was gel. I never did get to to freeze however I don't understand why it is not gumming the actions up when I leave them out.

Oh one other thing I have noticed is that after you apply the 2 or so coats you will get an entire coating throughout the gun which will look like wax. Seems to be very smooth and it adds a waterproof layer IMO.

Now that I my experience so you be the judge.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Re: Frog Lube

Postby Takeem406 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:52 am

So the liquid might be the better way to go? Seems like it's an all in one cleaner and lubricant?
I like the idea of it being non toxic. My Maxus has that Duracoat that can be destroyed by harsher products.
I guess the stuff isn't any cheaper than One Shot by any means.
I've heard all the great reviews but just recently we finally got some at a local store.
I know the one shot wears off after about a box of shells, I usually clean my gun then but sometimes I'm lazy.
Well if it's keeping your SBE2 working, then it should be magical in my gas gun.

Takeem406
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Takeem406 wrote:So the liquid might be the better way to go? Seems like it's an all in one cleaner and lubricant?
I like the idea of it being non toxic. My Maxus has that Duracoat that can be destroyed by harsher products.
I guess the stuff isn't any cheaper than One Shot by any means.
I've heard all the great reviews but just recently we finally got some at a local store.
I know the one shot wears off after about a box of shells, I usually clean my gun then but sometimes I'm lazy.
Well if it's keeping your SBE2 working, then it should be magical in my gas gun.

Yes it is an all in one type product. all of the guns I use it on are camo and I haven't had a problem with it harming them. IDK much about your maxus, but my sbe2 likes to be run wet. I think that's why the liquid works well for me.

I will say that the paste is great for doing hard cleans. When you use it you are suppose to heat up the metal and then coat. The first time I did this the paste was black with crud when I wiped it off. Pretty impressive. I think it is a lot cheaper as I clean 4 guns (between me and my brother) usually once a week maybe twice a week if they get wet or if Im really blazing at them. I bought the 4 oz paste and the 4 oz liquid and I am not even half way through it. I bought in in June to boot. It also seems to bead up water really well. I have had a lot better luck with protecting my guns from rust as a result.

Now just a word of caution I wouldn't just gung up your action with this stuff. I would just lightly coat your bolt and trigger assembly with it. I could see problems happing if you just literally plaster the stuff everywhere. When I stated above that my sbe2 likes to be run wet I simply mean that I just dip a que tip in the liquard and coat the bolt with it. More of a film if I had to say, you don't want it dripping wet. Just clearing that up for you.

IDk what type of prices you are getting locally but this is where I bought mine at. Might be a couple bucks higher but good service.

http://baydogswaterfowl.com/froglubebuy.htm
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby erp10 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:55 pm

I have used the paste into 9 degree weather on my bolt. The key is light coat use your hands it helps it melt. I do prefer the liquid over the paste but I have both so I use both depending on what im doing. I use it in a Maxus because it wont eat the duracoat.
erp10
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:05 pm

I hunted -9 F this weekend. Held up ok, but bolt didn't shut completely a couple of times...
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:01 pm

wanapasaki wrote:I hunted -9 F this weekend. Held up ok, but bolt didn't shut completely a couple of times...

What shotgun were you running?

That's great to hear. Seems like it's legit.
So if I've already cleaned my gun and I want to convert to FL, just reclean the gun with FL?

We are supposed to get down to about 10 above which will end up being around 0 on Thursday. This should be a good test for FL. I'll bring my backup gun just in case.

Takeem406
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:13 pm

I just recoated in frog lube. They make a special spray that "you are suppose to use to get the oils off". They however told me over the first couple treatments FL would eat through and take away any oils left over.

Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:53 pm

I went to get FL but left with Gun Scrubber and M Pro 7.
I can't afford $35 for FL liquid. That's just crazy!!!
I see the M Pro 7 lube is supposed to go down to -85. That's pretty cold. Seems to have just as good of reviews as the FL but half the cost or more.

Give 'er a little wing tip! A little wing tip!
Takeem406
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:17 pm

I wont use it.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:03 am

in cold temps (or any time) I use my own version of Ed's Red. NEVER fails even in sub zero temps and in about 30+ years of using it I have never had an issue or signs of wear on my guns and they are heavily used. Plus you can make a quart for about $5. :biggrin:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sylvanwilson » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Applied this summer just as instructed and used both paste and liquid...really works great in warm weather...however when is gets cold - it really slows the bolt down....used on both M2 12 and 20. 20 has 1.25 wolf spring.
Once I hit November I cleaned it out and went with my normal action lube ---- a light coat of pro-shot anti-friction synthetic gun oil...gun worked as normal.

I will not use in cold weather. However if you hunt in weather that doesn't get below 20-25, it will probably be a good product for you.

This has been my experience.
sylvanwilson
hunter

Postby matt58 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:25 am

I run the crap out of this stuff in my AR's and I love it. But for my scatter guns, standard Rem-oil does the trick
"Charlie don't surf!!!"
matt58
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:02 pm

Got back from UT, hunted some pretty cold stuff and didn't have a problem in my sbe2 nor did my brother. We are suppose to get down to -17 on Monday we shall see how she does. I'll let you know.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:44 pm

To those using FL: Are you heating up the components before you apply the FL or just wiping it on? Notice any difference in performance in just wiping it on vs. heating the components?

To those that aren't afraid of spending $15 on some of the best gun oil you can buy I recommend FireCLEAN. Stuff is amazing. I'm a convert now. Use it on everything from my pistols, revolvers, AR and .22s. Super lubricant and the carbon wipes right off. Biodegradable and no odor/non-toxic. Thinner than FL.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:18 am

MSparks909 wrote:To those using FL: Are you heating up the components before you apply the FL or just wiping it on? Notice any difference in performance in just wiping it on vs. heating the components?

To those that aren't afraid of spending $15 on some of the best gun oil you can buy I recommend FireCLEAN. Stuff is amazing. I'm a convert now. Use it on everything from my pistols, revolvers, AR and .22s. Super lubricant and the carbon wipes right off. Biodegradable and no odor/non-toxic. Thinner than FL.

When I do the base coat/hard clean I heat the gun up with a hair dryer and apply the paste. I find the more I use it I just us the liquid and coat my bolt and slides with it in between deep cleanings.

Preformance difference? Idk if I would be able to tell as the paste has created a wax line coat on all the parts I heated and painted it on. You have to use some force to scratch it off. I think that it makes a smoother surface for the parts to slide against. Adding a little bit of the liquid seems to make my action lighting fast.

Where did you get fire clean?

Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:23 am

I got mine off Amazon. Hard to find in my local gun shops. I was gonna try some FL but I read a bunch of comparisons between FC & FL and decided to give FC a try. From those who have used both it cleans up a little easier than FL and can be applied without heat. I used it on my AR15 and put ~400 rounds through it and cleaned it with one piece of paper towel without having to apply any additional FC to clean. Cleaning my A400 is the same. 1 paper towel and the gun is clean. I usually don't go for the "gun lube of the week" and have used everything from Breakfree CLP to Mobil 1 on my guns but FC really hit the ball out of the park.
MSparks909
hunter

Frog Lube

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:21 pm

MSparks909 wrote:I got mine off Amazon. Hard to find in my local gun shops. I was gonna try some FL but I read a bunch of comparisons between FC & FL and decided to give FC a try. From those who have used both it cleans up a little easier than FL and can be applied without heat. I used it on my AR15 and put ~400 rounds through it and cleaned it with one piece of paper towel without having to apply any additional FC to clean. Cleaning my A400 is the same. 1 paper towel and the gun is clean. I usually don't go for the "gun lube of the week" and have used everything from Breakfree CLP to Mobil 1 on my guns but FC really hit the ball out of the park.

Have you tried FL so that you can compare it?

I'm just curious as to if it is thinner and how it performs in cold weather, and even if it is much different than FL. How quickly does it burn/wear off while shooting?

Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:38 pm

I haven't personally shot with Frog Lube. Read some reports of sluggish cycling in cold weather and after it's sat on the weapon for longer periods of time (month or longer). Some guys on other gun forums I'm on have had issues with it gumming up in their conceal carry guns and when they go to cycle them they reported that the slide felt like it was sludged up and that the FL had become very sticky.

I live in Eastern NC so we don't get the cold weather like up north. However, it was 8 degrees the other morning on our hunt and my A400 cycled fine. FC is thinner than FL but the stuff doesn't burn off as easily. I've read reports of guys running it for several thousand rounds in their AR15s without reapplying. I personally ran over 400 rounds through mine in a day and the bolt was still wet, and the AR gets much dirtier/hotter than my A400 ever will between cleanings.

Here's a burnoff test between FC, FL and Breakfree CLP:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ScdsWvFzsGc
MSparks909
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum