Mossberg 935 OE

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Mossberg 935 OE

Postby Citori16 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Originally posted this on the shotgun forum before I realized there was a separate forum for repair.

My 935 gave me some trouble earlier this season, took me till this weekend to straighten it all out. Did quite a bit of research and did not find the exact same problem on the net, but some similar. This site was especially helpful in working it out so I figured I would share what I found.

Just so we can put things in perspective, I do more upland hunting than waterfowl, so when I went to buy a semi-auto I was looking for: 1. Tang safety, B. Synthetic stock with camo, 3. Quick change to a cantilevered slug barrel for deer.

Truth told I am not crazy about this gun, it does feel like a 2X4 to me, but it fit the bill and I wanted to give the 835 to my son...after shooting a double for so long, I tend to dislike pumps...but my son loves that click-clack so he can have it.

So the problem was the gun would not fire and 3.5" shells would not slide into the magazine. There were no imprints on the primer, but the trigger would click. I painfully sat on the X (no decoys even) and could not get the gun to fire even as a single shot. :crying:

I had cleaned/lubed it up at the close of last season and stuck it in the locker. I USED to use Rem oil, that will now change. :mad:

After it stopped working took it all apart at home to see what was wrong. Lube was now not the only problem. The bolt would not close all the way. This was stopping the hammer from reaching the firing pin, and also stopping the shell lifter from moving all the way up which would not allow shells to slide in the magazine. Thanks to some advice on this forum, I slapped some valve seating compound on it and cycled the bolt about 100 times while watching "Dances with Wolves". Maybe 200, I lost count when the cavalry came back to the fort.

Cleaned and lubed everything, for now I am using Quaker State 5W30 Synthetic thinned with some MMO and Kroil. CLP Breakfree is on my list to try. Not sure what I am going to do with the Rem oil stuff I have.

It cycled beautifully, but still did not close the bolt all the way. The extractor/ejector arm was not moving much. The spring loaded piston that keeps tension on the extractor was stuck in the forward position. This is where I get real torqued at Rem oil. The Rem-oil apparently did not seep in between the piston and the hole. Out comes the Kroil, still does not budge. Really trying hard not to break anything, but I am running out of options. Out comes the hammer :hammer: . Using the smallest ball peen hammer I have and some pipe pliers I smaked the extractor on my wooden bench until it moved. Now we are stuck in the rearward position. Broke out the propane torch :eek: , heated the bolt until the Kroil boiled a little. Still no movement. Hammer time, smacked the bolt :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: until the piston came out again. Repeat until nauseaus and/or mentally exhausted. Have cigarette to chase Kroil fumes out of lungs. Add more Kroil to gun and finally things start to work. Add even more Kroil and wipe with paper towels to remove as much rust as possible.

I think it's ready, have not had the time to fire it.

Lessons learned: Rem-oil was apparently not made for guns. Mossberg 935's need a little help with metal fitting. Mossberg 935s need good oil on the extractors.
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Re: Mossberg 935 OE

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:16 pm

All that, but did you ever think to look at the chamber and the bolt and extractor recesses to see if they were clogged. The extractor isn't made to move but maybe just enough to slip over the shell rim when the action is closed anyways. I only ask because you never mention once that you looked at them...
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:48 am

Good point, I did peek at the chamber and clean it out after using valve compound. Nothing seemed out of place so I thought nothing of it. The recess for the extractor was fine, albeit with a little mark from the extractor not moving. You're right, if that is plugged somehow you would end up with the same problem.

However, if we are talking about the same thing, the extractor does move a bit, from about 5 degrees in to about 10 degrees out, where zero is the plane of the side of the bolt. The extractor arm is spring loaded by the piston, and appears to always be under tension. The fact that the piston was froze up was THE reason the bolt would not close all the way to the chamber (minus the shell rim clearance), causing the misfires due to the recoil linkage stopping the hammer from striking the pin, as well as causing the lifter to block the magazine. I stored my gun with the bolt open, so that when the extractor piston froze it was all the way out moving the extractor in. If I had stored it with the bolt closed and the piston froze, then the gun would fire but the shells would not be extracted properly. Not sure which I would rather have happen.

Unless Mossberg had a couple different designs, if your extractor doesn't move you might have a froze up piston. At least that's the way it appears on my gun.

Still trying to decide what type of lube to put in there to keep water/dirt out but not be too viscous in the cold or calcify over time.
Citori16
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:50 pm

WORST thing you can do to semi auto shotgun springs is store it with the action locked open and the springs compressed. You WILL weaken the springs and they'll take a set, thus weakening their ability to return the bolt back to full battery. I always store mine bolt closed and firing pin down (dry fired) to ensure as little spring compression as possible.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:12 am

Makes sense, and I typically store my other guns with that in mind, incluing using snap caps. Not sure what my thought process was on this one when I stored it...either that or my son put it away for me after cleaning and I forgot to give him any instruction.
Citori16
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:42 am

dsm16428 wrote:WORST thing you can do to semi auto shotgun springs is store it with the action locked open and the springs compressed. You WILL weaken the springs and they'll take a set, thus weakening their ability to return the bolt back to full battery. I always store mine bolt closed and firing pin down (dry fired) to ensure as little spring compression as possible.

I know a lot of guys that store their shotguns like that. Doesn't surprise me when one had a problem with his SBE2 during early goose season. It would shoot once and that was it. I store my shotguns bolt closed safety off and trigger pulled...no tension on any springs.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Only problem with this extractor design is that with the bolt closed against the chamber the extractor spring is compressed. I remember the gun came with one of those day-glow orange chamber inserts with a little handle that let you know the gun was empty. Now that I'm thinking of it, it probably allowed the extractor spring to relax as well, not to mention removing almost all of the compression off the recoil spring. Of course I threw it away...may have to see if I can find another.
Citori16
hunter

Postby fishduck » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:11 pm

Citori16,
Pull the extractor, plunger and spring out of the bolt. I bet it is clogged with a bunch of crap. I pull them out of my guns about once a year and flush the hole out. I am always amazed at the junk that comes out.

Good luck,
Fishduck
fishduck
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:16 am

NEVER store a semi auto or even a pump with them open. Close the bolt and pull the trigger. this takes the stress off the recoil spring and hammer spring both. Look up Ed's red and make your own. I have my own tested and tried version that never fails. You can even dump your rem oil into the mix it you do not want to dispose of it. I use synthetic ATF and Synthetic mobile 1 now along with the kerosene and acetone but conventional oils work just fine. ATF is high pressure lube and has cleaning properties as does the kerosene, The acetone is just there to get the viscosity that you desire but will evaporate once applied, it just helps it to flow into those tight places. Why buy all the hype of high $$$ lube when you can make your own :huh: Amazon has some nice dispensers that work great for gun oil.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:17 am

one last thought, NEVER use WD40 on a gun. has causes problems for a lot of my customers with gummed up actions.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum