Remington Model 11 vs. Browning Auto-5

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Remington Model 11 vs. Browning Auto-5

Postby bernie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:11 pm

I have a buddy with a 12 gauge Remington Model 11 that we think may have a broken firing pin. We were discussing whether he could use a Browning Auto-5 firing pin, which lead us to wonder if the bolts were interchangeable. I said that I doubted that they were, but he think that they might be the same.

What say the experts?
bernie
hunter

Re: Remington Model 11 vs. Browning Auto-5

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:27 am

I believe so, but to be on the safe side, pull the pin and compare said part side by side

Sent via smoke signal
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, I'm just saying it is ill advised...
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Bricktop » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:44 am

bernie wrote:I have a buddy with a 12 gauge Remington Model 11 that we think may have a broken firing pin. We were discussing whether he could use a Browning Auto-5 firing pin, which lead us to wonder if the bolts were interchangeable. I said that I doubted that they were, but he think that they might be the same.

What say the experts?
The firing pins might be interchangeable, but I'm fairly confident that the bolts are not. There are just enough differences between the Auto 5 and the other iterations to prevent straight-up interchangeability. (English vs. metric, most notably.)

I had a Model 11 several years ago and outside of the friction rings and recoil spring, it was mostly a crap shoot trying to make Auto 5 parts "work."
Bricktop
hunter

Postby lunatic » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Numrich gun parts has the correct item both models in stock. Either round or square back.
"Semper Fi"
lunatic
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum