I see a Browning Gold Hunter that I want

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

I see a Browning Gold Hunter that I want

Postby bernie » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:23 pm

Let me start with, I love really short shotguns for squirrel hunting. And I prefer self shuckers to pumpguns. I recently saw a Browning Gold Hunter 3" that a guy is trying to sell. It has an 18.5" barrel, apparently it bulged a barrel and he simply chopped the barrel back to 18.5", with no choke at all.

I would like to get it, and get it threaded for choke tubes. But I have a few questions.

First, would a gold hunter with a barrel that short function reliably?

Next, is the barrel thick enough that far back to have it threaded for choke tubes? If so, roughly what would it probably cost to do so.

Thanks.
bernie
hunter

Re: I see a Browning Gold Hunter that I want

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:41 pm

It would have a pretty short pressure pulse. It may work just fine the way it is but if it doesnt I'm sure that it could be made to work. Sealing the piston so it doesn't vent off any gas might help. A lighter recoil spring would help too. A friend of mine used a numbered drill set to incrementally open up the gas ports on a Remington magnum 20 until it functioned properly after shortening the barrel.
You can pretty much rest assured that a smith will be able to fit some style of tube to that barrel. It's been a few years but the last one I had done set me back $65.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:14 am

it will function with hot ammo. I have one on the bench now, same scenario. It will kick like a mule and make your fingers hurt.

I am trying to find a reasonably priced barrel for it.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:07 pm

My original SX2 barrel would not cycle 1 1/8 oz 1250 fps loads after I had it ported. I sold that barrel and bought one with custom Briley chokes. I would look elsewhere.
z51
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:00 pm

I had one cut to 20" and it would not reliably cycle anything other than high velocity magnum rounds. And it did NOT kick any more than it did with the 26" original length barrel so I would not worry about that at all. You will probably find he is selling it because it will not function properly and if you are set on buying it you need to run a few rounds of the ammo you plan to use thru it. I personally would stay away from it or you might be able to pick up the target gas piston designed for the light target loads and that might be just enough to make it run.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bernie » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:08 pm

I appreciate the feedback. I did think that it might have cycling problems because of the different gas pressure due to the short barrel.

Thanks.
bernie
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum