Barrel won't slide out of 390.

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Barrel won't slide out of 390.

Postby 007 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi all,
Gun is approx 6 years old, it's a Walmart version black syn 390, heavy use.
About twice a season, or after a heavy rain - I will take the gun down and clean it.
Recently, I tried giving it the first full cleaning of the season and the barrel wouldn't come out with normal pulling.
It's always been a little tight, but it wouldn't budge. So I made some barrel blocks out of particle board, viced it up, and pulled/wiggled on the receiver. Nothing. Ultimately, I had to use a rubber mallet to tap on the pistol grip before it would break free. I cleaned the shotgun, and put some anti-seize on the barrel extension before inserting it. Had to stick the barrel down into cardboard and tap the butt of the gun with the mallet to get it to go in all the way. I guess this is the new normal.

My question is, would there be any benefit/possible pitfall to polishing the back of the barrel extension with a dremel tool?
I don't mind living with it as is. Any advice/experience is welcomed.

hunter

Re: Barrel won't slide out of 390.

Postby z51 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:25 pm

I wouldn't use a dremel. If you can see marks on the barrel hood use fine grit black oxide paper wrapped around a small file to polish that area. If there are no obvious rub marks I would leave it alone.
z51
hunter

Postby StevenL » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Just my two cents but I thick you ought to find out exactly why the fit is so tight before you start removing material from anything. I'm not familiar with the make and model shotgun you're talking about so maybe you be a bit more specific and we could go from there. Thanks for your time.
StevenL
hunter

Postby 007 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:22 pm

My bad, it's a Beretta. Semi-auto, discontinued model.

I looked for marks on the barrel extension where it might be "tight." No marks. Extension is as smooth as silk - no signs of anything out of the norm. No burrs, so polishing/grinding would be an attempt to remove a few microns of barrel and allow it to fit a little more loosely. Of course, the last thing I would want is to take off too much and make it wobbly or something.

I don't mind hammering it in/out - this is my only 12 gauge and it's got scratches, etc.
The damn thing goes bang every time and shoots straight so I won't sell it. It's just weird that I've googled this situation and can't really find anyone else that's posted something similar to this. Maybe it's common, maybe it's not.

thanks guys for your thoughts.
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:33 am

I would use super fine emery cloth, 600 grit or higher if i was going to polish the barrel extension.

Forget the barrel extension and look at the barrel lug and magazine cap, the threads are probably full of carbon, causing a real tight fit. Take the barrel off and the magazine cap and see how they fit together. You may need to clean the carbon off the threaded portion and out of the barrel lug center hole.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby dduckman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:17 pm

Does changing the position of the bolt help? try pulling the bolt back and forth, some guns have a sweet spot for the bolt to get the barrel off smoothly!

I once had a guy with a gold 10ga with the barrel a couple inches from being all the way on, he beat the butt stock onto the floor trying to get the barrel on :hammer: After a tug of war to get the barrel off I showed him the proper positioning of the bolt and the barrel dropped right in!
dduckman
hunter

Postby 007 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:33 pm

Yeah, I tried different bolt positions, with/without the trigger assy etc. ...nothing doing.
Rubber mallet 4 life it looks like. If/when this gun gives up the ghost and needs a major repair, I'm going to pick up a black syn Weatherby SA-08 and give one of those a go...

As for the carbon buildup, there was a lot in the gas cylinder collar (piston housing) attached to the barrel. For some of it, I had to "scratch" it out with a hard plastic rod.

I'm definitely going to try the emery cloth to polish it a little bit.

thanks all,
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:26 am

Have you examined the receiver (inside where the barrel extension locks into) for any burrs or scratches?

My 390's are fitted to extremely tight tolerances and routinely have to wiggle the barrel a bit in order to remove it from the receiver.

IMO, the overall best S/A gasser ever made.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:52 am

If you try polishing...use a brass barrel brush in a cordless drill.
Forget the dermal and sandpaper .
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:53 am

Dremel*
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby 007 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:12 am

Copy that. If doing it by hand isn't getting me anywhere, I should go with the brass enhanced power tools. (That's what she said).

haha

and I agree, very tight tolerances and a great shotgun indeed (Yuchi).
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:11 pm

I'd have to put my hands on it, before I could say what I'd do to "fix" it.

I will say this though.
Too tight, is way better than too loose.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:09 am

I have a Mossberg that has done this, The aluminum receiver over time with lot of exposure to the elements seems to have possibly gotten slightly thicker in the throat area and the barrel has to be driven in and out. I know it is not the barrel as it fits in other 500's just fine and other barrels will not fit in this receiver. At one time you could insert and remove the barrel easily by hand in this receiver. I believe this is due to the aluminum breaking down / corrosion but it is not visible to the naked eye. This spring I will be honing the inside of the receiver slightly and refinishing it with gun Kote to correct this issue. Also had this happen to a Beretta / Benelli Pintail and a slight honing of the inside of the receiver is all it took to make it fit properly again.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dog Tired » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:12 am

I have the same gun and love it. Can't ask for anything more in an auto loader.

I will say that I clean mine very two weeks at least and haven't had any issues. I'm used to cleaning after every shoot with work so its just habit. I feel like the answer to a majority of problems is cleaning.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Merganzor » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:17 am

I put a different barrel on mine and the new barrel was a bear to get on and off. Turned out that the forend cover (part 31 in the Brownells schematic) was canted very slightly so that it pinched the barrel against the side of the receiver where the barrel passes into the receiver. I loosened the 2 screws and rotated the cover so that it made the least contact possible with the barrel. Still a tighter fit than the original, but easily doable without beating on it. Maybe this part on your gun just took a whack that rotated it slightly and it just needs to be nudged back into true.
WTN10 wrote:I hope a midget attacks your legs with a chainsaw.
Merganzor
hunter

Postby 007 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Thx Merg, I will def check that out.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:48 am

copterdoc wrote:I'd have to put my hands on it, before I could say what I'd do to "fix" it.

I will say this though.
Too tight, is way better than too loose.

That's true of many things! :grooving:
z51
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum