Break action too tight

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Break action too tight

Postby Skogjag » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:40 pm

Been shooting rifles my whole life, and only just bought a shotgun to tap the wonderful world of waterfowl. Chose an over & under, which breaks open to load/unload. (I’m a minimalist, one shot-one kill, only shoot 1 bird per outing, so this old fashioned type suits me.)

I was appalled when I first assembled it and broke it open. I should say, pried it open! And, no, this is not a lubricant issue. I knew enough to realise straight away this is not right, and other hunters who have operated it agree. Any idea of rapid reload is out of the question with this thing. :no:

My instinct is to take it into a gunsmith and have him pry apart the receiver or whatever is too tight. But when I spoke with a gunshop person on the phone the other day, he suggested I simply use the hell out of it until it straightens up. :clapping: Wha?

For one thing, this ‘ride out the problem’ solution rubs me the wrong way. I am not the sort that puts up with slipshod half-measures. Secondly, I live in a big city and only rarely get out to hunt, so this non-solution would basically condemn me to a screwed-up piece forever. :eek: Screw that noise.

Anyone ever encounter this bizarre problem?

A related problem—which I can live with—is that the break-open lever is likewise too tight, and won’t properly seat into its locked position. I hasten to add that I am not suggesting it is prone to falling open—only that the inactive position of 6 o’clock is never reached, and it rests in the 5 o’clock position, which is sufficient to lock.
Hate Utah. Never coming back.
Skogjag
Newb

Re: Break action too tight

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:08 pm

take it apart and polish the mating parts where it breaks open/ around the hinge, oil those parts, and put it back together.

or sit, opening and closing the action on the sofa for a few nights.

a good gun always gets smoother with time, you're just speeding it up by polishing.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby War Wagon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:50 pm

Got a lot of New Trap guns that were so tight like that. Believe me that will go away faster than you think. You never said who was the Mfg ? :huh:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Does it only happen after firing live ammo or even during a dry-fire? If it only happens when firing live ammo, break the gun down and dry fire it. You want to check your firing pin protrusion and make sure they aren't poking out to far. Pointy pins can cause a problem too. Reading the dents in the primers can also tell you if the pins are dragging upon opening too.

And it is perfectly normal for a new double to have the lever resting at 5 o' clock. They do that on purpose. As it breaks in it will eventually go to 6 o' clock. Stay away from used doubles with the lever pointing at 7 o' clock.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 682x » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:00 pm

Had 1 citori that was stiff and I shoot 5000+ a year . I used a tiny tiny bit of valve lapping compound where the forearm meets receiver worked the gun a little then washed it all off very important ! I also use bearing grease on this joint after cleaning and what a difference . Give it a try??
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum