11-87 special purpose 12 guage not feeding

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

11-87 special purpose 12 guage not feeding

Postby bighillbilly » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:56 pm

I have owned the gun for 20 years and this is the second time in th epast three that I have had a problem with it feeding shells. First time was the o-ring. Problem solved. This time it is a bit more complex.

I have the gun plugged for 3 shells. I load 1 in the chamber and then flip it over and feed 2 into the magazine.
The last round put into the magazine doesn't hang out far enough to contact the shell latch. I have to push the shell latch into the side of the receiver to get the shell to drop into position. If I don't do this when I shoot the round in the chamber the gun will not feed the second shell. Also, If I try to pull back the bolt of the gun to eject the shell in the chamber it is locked up tight.

If I push the shell latch in and let the round in the magazine drop into position I get two shots off but the third needs the same attention then.

I took it to the gun shop for a look and they suggested a new carrier assembly. They showe dme where there is a small notch in the steel of the slide that is rounded off a bit and has an affect on the shell latch? they also suggested it might be the shell latch oitself as 2 of the 4 welds were broken. They "restaked" them but the problem persists. Also strange to me is that they could not get the problem to present itself when feeding their dummy rounds in the shop. I am shooting 3" rounds out of the gun if that makes a difference.

So, after season I am thinking it needs professional attention, but would prefer to have an idea of what the problem is before any spring cleaning takes place at my expense to diagnose the problem.

Andy ideas?
bighillbilly
hunter

Re: 11-87 special purpose 12 guage not feeding

Postby biggoose » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Alot of things going on there but i had the same problem with mine. The local gunsmith cleaned out the mag tube and put in a new spring and it was fixed. I geuss it was a fairly common problem with 11-87.
biggoose
Newb

Postby Theduckguru » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:14 pm

biggoose wrote:Alot of things going on there but i had the same problem with mine. The local gunsmith cleaned out the mag tube and put in a new spring and it was fixed. I geuss it was a fairly common problem with 11-87.

Brownells sells a metal magazine follower, it really helps 1187s.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:15 pm

bighillbilly wrote:I have owned the gun for 20 years and this is the second time in th epast three that I have had a problem with it feeding shells. First time was the o-ring. Problem solved. This time it is a bit more complex.

I have the gun plugged for 3 shells. I load 1 in the chamber and then flip it over and feed 2 into the magazine.
The last round put into the magazine doesn't hang out far enough to contact the shell latch. I have to push the shell latch into the side of the receiver to get the shell to drop into position. If I don't do this when I shoot the round in the chamber the gun will not feed the second shell. Also, If I try to pull back the bolt of the gun to eject the shell in the chamber it is locked up tight.

If I push the shell latch in and let the round in the magazine drop into position I get two shots off but the third needs the same attention then.

I took it to the gun shop for a look and they suggested a new carrier assembly. They showe dme where there is a small notch in the steel of the slide that is rounded off a bit and has an affect on the shell latch? they also suggested it might be the shell latch oitself as 2 of the 4 welds were broken. They "restaked" them but the problem persists. Also strange to me is that they could not get the problem to present itself when feeding their dummy rounds in the shop. I am shooting 3" rounds out of the gun if that makes a difference.

So, after season I am thinking it needs professional attention, but would prefer to have an idea of what the problem is before any spring cleaning takes place at my expense to diagnose the problem.

Andy ideas?

Broken interceptor latch and/or spring?
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby usmcduckn » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:29 pm

bighillbilly wrote: I have to push the shell latch into the side of the receiver to get the shell to drop into position. If I don't do this when I shoot the round in the chamber the gun will not feed the second shell. Also, If I try to pull back the bolt of the gun to eject the shell in the chamber it is locked up tight.

My guess would be the shell latch. obviously it works with manual attention. And being that 2 of the 4 welds are broken...and its a fairly cheap fix that'd be my course. if u posted a pic on here of the latch i could give you a better assessment
usmcduckn
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:40 am

usmcduckn wrote:
bighillbilly wrote: I have to push the shell latch into the side of the receiver to get the shell to drop into position. If I don't do this when I shoot the round in the chamber the gun will not feed the second shell. Also, If I try to pull back the bolt of the gun to eject the shell in the chamber it is locked up tight.

My guess would be the shell latch. obviously it works with manual attention. And being that 2 of the 4 welds are broken...and its a fairly cheap fix that'd be my course. if u posted a pic on here of the latch i could give you a better assessment

What welds?
z51
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:56 am

My 1187 Super Magnum OFTEN fails to load the first or second round out of the magazine. I replaced the stock magazine spring, follower, and plug with an upgrade kit. This has had no effect on my FTC issues.

My weapon is clean, the O-ring is new and assembled correctly. TWO gunsmiths have given it a cursory look and found nothing obvious they feel would impair feeding.

About to ship it to Remington to have them repair it (out of warranty). But would like to find an answer prior to spending the money shipping it both ways and paying them.

Ideas?? What should I look for?

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:05 am

I have shot the same 3' 11-87 sp for the last ten years and had a a issue like yours come up this past season. My problem was in the mag tube.( worn out follower and mag spring) the plastic follower can get groves and scratches from fouling and grit and stuff which makes it bind. couple that with a worn out mag spring and it slows down enough to not release shells.( mostly the third shell because the wore out spring is least compressed on the third shell.) Now I think your problem thou involves something in the shell latch and carrier. I would bring it in and have a gunsmith do that work. and at twenty years old it might be time for a 'tune up" i.e bolt return spring and plunger , o ring, mag spring and follower. Also the bolt return spring and mag spring need to be in time with each other to cycle the gun properly. If one is slower then other jamming can happen.
olt d2
hunter

Postby dduckman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:00 pm

Mann and Sons is a fantastic Remington warranty/service to send it to!
dduckman
hunter

Postby THAXTER » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:27 pm

olt d2 wrote:I have shot the same 3' 11-87 sp for the last ten years and had a a issue like yours come up this past season. My problem was in the mag tube.( worn out follower and mag spring) the plastic follower can get groves and scratches from fouling and grit and stuff which makes it bind. couple that with a worn out mag spring and it slows down enough to not release shells.( mostly the third shell because the wore out spring is least compressed on the third shell.) Now I think your problem thou involves something in the shell latch and carrier. I would bring it in and have a gunsmith do that work. and at twenty years old it might be time for a 'tune up" i.e bolt return spring and plunger , o ring, mag spring and follower. Also the bolt return spring and mag spring need to be in time with each other to cycle the gun properly. If one is slower then other jamming can happen.

I had the same problem and this was the fix.
THAXTER
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:39 am

Some oils and cleaners gum up the magazine plastic plug,put in a wooden dowel or sand don the plastic.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby bighillbilly » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 pm

For the curious among us - Just picked up my 11-87 described above from the gunsmith. They replaced a broken shell latch and $57.00 later my baby is back.
All the best
Hillbilly
bighillbilly
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:06 am

Got my 11-87 back from the local gunsmith. They replaced the broken shell latch, mainspring, and a split washer on the post that hold s the stock on. Showed me the mainspring alongside a new one to demonstrate the "set" it had taken. Lost about 1/2 inch of the spring. The catch had just the tip broken off one of the many fingers. He said he had no clue how the washer split...the stock was tight to the receiver when I dropped the weapon off to him. He test fired it and cleaned it.

$146

O2Fsh

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:30 am

O2Fsh wrote:.

Got my 11-87 back from the local gunsmith. They replaced the broken shell latch, mainspring, and a split washer on the post that hold s the stock on. Showed me the mainspring alongside a new one to demonstrate the "set" it had taken. Lost about 1/2 inch of the spring. The catch had just the tip broken off one of the many fingers. He said he had no clue how the washer split...the stock was tight to the receiver when I dropped the weapon off to him. He test fired it and cleaned it.

$146

O2Fsh

FYI, he replaced the mainspring unnecessarily. Your new spring will take a set just like that in a short period of time. Also the split is of no consequence either. I would stay away from that guy he did things that had NOTHING to do with your problem.
You only issue was the shell latch. He overcharged you.
z51
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:15 pm

Z51 is right IMO....the shell latch is the issue. I am having a similar issue with mine
it has come unstaked and it causes many issues like that.
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:55 am

I completely agree that the shell latch was the problem. I knew going in I was going to pay high dollar for the repair, as the gunsmith is in the $$$$$ part of the state. No options in the area .... that I trust. Also, I think it worked out cheaper than paying shipping both ways to Remington and waiting... This guy too 3 days.

He stated that the split washer had nothing to do with the feeding issue. I'm not worried about the mainspring. The weapon was manufactured in '09 and I bought it used from a guide. Have no clue how many rounds it's been through. I'm happy that he replaced it if only for sake of mind.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:45 pm

Can the shell latch prevent the bolt from being opened? in other words, it the shell latch
came loose could it possibly prevent the breech bolt from being opened (moved backwards)?

there is a piece on top of the breech bolt....could this piece prevent the bolt from being opened

I cannot open my bolt and the shell latch has come dislodged or unstaked so I can trying to figure
out if that is the issue....I tried to super glue it back in place but it came out

why do the shell latches come loose?
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:58 pm

rainingmallards wrote:Can the shell latch prevent the bolt from being opened? in other words, it the shell latch
came loose could it possibly prevent the breech bolt from being opened (moved backwards)?

there is a piece on top of the breech bolt....could this piece prevent the bolt from being opened

I cannot open my bolt and the shell latch has come dislodged or unstaked so I can trying to figure
out if that is the issue....I tried to super glue it back in place but it came out

why do the shell latches come loose?

The shell latch is held in position by the trigger group pins. Unless it is bent or worn it will function just fine without being staked in. The staking makes assembly easier by holding the latch in place. Mine was loose in my SP for 10 years with no ill effect. I finally got tired of it falling out when I pulled the trigger group and epoxied it in place.
You can do the same just clean and degrease and put a few small dabs of epoxy where the staking marks are and reassemble then let it dry overnight. Use slow dry glue to give yourself plenty of assembly time.
If you think the latch is bent or bad order a new one from Brownells. They are cheap stampings.
z51
hunter

Postby hraub1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:25 pm

My 11-87 feeds a new round into the action but it does not trip the lever that allows the bolt to cycle forward so it locks open and I have to release it manually. Is this the same problem y'all are talking about here? My gun has not been fired more than a couple dozen times although I have owned it fifteen years or so.
hraub1
Newb

Postby talltimber » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:11 pm

Where is the shell exactly? Laying on the carrier, in the normal carrier position, or is the carrier raised presenting the shell and the bolt not returning to battery? When does it do this? After firing, or when you manually cycle a shell by operating the bolt by hand? Could be a couple of things, depending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
talltimber
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:44 am

hraub1 wrote:My 11-87 feeds a new round into the action but it does not trip the lever that allows the bolt to cycle forward so it locks open and I have to release it manually. Is this the same problem y'all are talking about here? My gun has not been fired more than a couple dozen times although I have owned it fifteen years or so.

Most likely a bent carrier latch. This can occur if someone pulls the trigger with the trigger group out of the gun and doesn't catch the hammer. The latch is a $5 part so I would start there. It could be something else but start there. While you have that apart you will want to clean and inspect the latch spring and carrier dog spring for function.
z51
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum