Camo Removal from my gun

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Camo Removal from my gun

Postby Goose Hunter 1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:52 pm

10 years ago I had my Remington SP-10 sent away and had it dipped in camo from Gander Mountain. The Camo is showing some ware, so I want to remove it and how would I go about doing this? Please Help!
Thank You...
Goose Hunter 1
hunter

Re: Camo Removal from my gun

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:53 pm

possibly paint thinner...there will be primer under the camo that may be hard to remove and also there would be no bluing or finish underneath
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:32 pm

Goose Hunter 1 wrote:10 years ago I had my Remington SP-10 sent away and had it dipped in camo from Gander Mountain. The Camo is showing some ware, so I want to remove it and how would I go about doing this? Please Help!
Thank You...

Is it a synthetic or wood stock? I used something similar to paint thinner on my gun after I spray painted it. The product was/is a natural formula and not as harsh as traditional paint thinner. It worked extremely well and, less some nooks and crannies, came out unscathed.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby kindervb » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:13 pm

Lacquer thinner works well
kindervb
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:19 am

The most potent thing you can find is Acetone.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:48 am

Would re-dipping the gun fix the problem? This has been my major hangup for getting my gun dipped is that I know it will eventually wear in places.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby william costa » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:32 pm

if it has been dipped it more than likely has been beedblasted taking it all down to bare metal under camo.automotive type thinner will strip it.it will be a messy process as I have done it.use thinner soaked rags layed on it and a shallow tray with thinner to sit pieces in.any camo coat gun will eventually wear on high spots or sharp edges just from years of sliding in and out of case.personally id leave it alone or send and have it redone when it gets really bad.
william costa
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:22 am

Acetone words well on synthetic stocks as long as you dont let it set on the stock too long.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:37 pm

copterdoc wrote:The most potent thing you can find is Acetone.

Actually Lacquer thinner is stronger than Acetone in removing finishes and Melting plastic.

I have removed it with carb cleaner and brake cleaner too if it does not have an automotive grade clear on it. The Gander jobs are thin and weak so most any solvent will cut it but you might just create a bigger mess. If it is wood I would use Lacquer Thinner.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby copterdoc » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:01 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:
copterdoc wrote:The most potent thing you can find is Acetone.

Actually Lacquer thinner is stronger than Acetone in removing finishes and Melting plastic.......
The three primary ingredients in Lacquer Thinner are Acetone, Toluene and Methanol.

The most potent of which, is still Acetone.
copterdoc
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum