installing sling swivel in wood stock

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

installing sling swivel in wood stock

Postby bargeline » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:54 pm

Does someone have experience and give me detail instructions on how to install sling swivel into wood stock. Thanks Bargelin
bargeline
Newb

Re: installing sling swivel in wood stock

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:47 pm

drill it out with a drill bit which is as wide as the screws main body but the contact points stick out (If that makes sense.) Take some wood glue and wrap it around the screw and take a pair of pliers and twist it into the stock and then wipe off the extra glue. Give it a day or two to dry
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby usmcduckn » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:54 am

if you know the size of the screw you can look up the minor diameter of the threads and see what size drill bit you need to get the best fit. if you use the wrong size bit you could end up making the hole larger than desired and make the hole weak by having only partial thread engagement. in essence you want to drill a hole thats 75% the size of the screw so the threads still have some wood to bite into. if you need help getting the size of the screw (i.e. 1/4-20 or 5/16-18, etc.) you can always take it to lowes and home depot and screw it into their thread checkers until you find the one that fits it like a glove and has no slop.
usmcduckn
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:26 pm

also make sure you clear the bottom screw in the stock that holds on the but plate or pad.
olt d2
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:20 pm

Brownells makes a nice bit for drilling the stock and the countersink for the shoulder all at once there is also a jig to get it centered and straight. If doing it freehand you need to find the center and hit it with a center punch so your bit does not drift and mess up your stock. Then a small square is usefull in getting the bit straight with the stock when drilling it out. I never use glue on them as I may want to change it or replace it if it rust. I tighten them with a drift punch or allen wrench thru the hole to avoid marking up the outside. The torx wrench that comes with Leupold rings is the perfect size. Use a small drill first as a guide hole and then step up to the proper size for the stud.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby z51 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:16 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:Brownells makes a nice bit for drilling the stock and the countersink for the shoulder all at once there is also a jig to get it centered and straight. If doing it freehand you need to find the center and hit it with a center punch so your bit does not drift and mess up your stock. Then a small square is usefull in getting the bit straight with the stock when drilling it out. I never use glue on them as I may want to change it or replace it if it rust. I tighten them with a drift punch or allen wrench thru the hole to avoid marking up the outside. The torx wrench that comes with Leupold rings is the perfect size. Use a small drill first as a guide hole and then step up to the proper size for the stud.

X2

A step drill or countersink will keep you from splitting the stock. I think Uncle Mike's makes one for their screws. I like to turn it in with a nail with the head cut off that closely fits the hole in the stud. Never use glue.
z51
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum