Rob Roberts gun shop

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Rob Roberts gun shop

Postby Tgunz_64 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:59 pm

Looking at possibly getting the forcing cone in my super Vinci extended and also maybe porting the barrel. I see Rob Roberts does it and was wondering if anyone has had any work done by them or had any type of work done that I mentioned at all? And if so how did you like them or the work that was done? Would it be worth extending the cone and/or porting?
Tgunz_64
hunter

Re: Rob Roberts gun shop

Postby T Man » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:20 pm

Ported guns almost always guarantee you wont be invited into many blinds.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:29 pm

T Man wrote:Ported guns almost always guarantee you wont be invited into many blinds.

You don't wear hearing protection in the blind? :no:

My 24" Benelli SBE II has that same effect on people. :yes:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:30 pm

Yes I was kidding, But It is a good idea to wear ear plugs at least on the side of the other gun in the blind.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Indtruckman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:05 pm

I had forcing cone, porting ,slapper, trigger job done. I liked all of the work, it but porting to loud for the blind, and just buy recoil reducer from J&H for M2 and SBEII. Change your recoil pad it helps alot on hot loads.
Indtruckman
hunter

Postby nitram » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:24 am

Rob and crew do excellent work and have a quick turnaround. Call them at the shop 870-251-9955 and discuss what you want and they'll guide you in the right direction. They're good folks.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:05 pm

~12 seasons ago, I contacted Seminole Gun Works in Florida (2X) and asked about forcing cone and back boring work on my SBE.

Both guys (two separate calls) told me that for steel shot, such work was a waste of my money as lead shot is the primary beneficiary of such enhancements.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:58 pm

Would not do a ported waterfowl gun. For the reasons stated. quite a bit louder for your friends hunting with you. We had a buddy that used a ported mossburg turkey gun and 3 1/2's and everybody would try to sit as far away from him as we could, and gave him tons of crap about it and he finally got a new gun lol :bow:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:13 am

There are lots of improvements a Benelli could benefit from , one would be , looking at the other 2 B guns for ideas ! :lol:

Sorry , I couldn't help myself ! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:06 am

I would shoot the gun as is. If you want to spend some money get a quality extended (nonported) choke tube or two. The longer parallel section generally will help your patterns.
z51
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:16 am

With all kidding aside x51 gives the best advise , I think !

Knowing what to order for a choke is something else ? but , knowing your bore size and patterning your gun/chokes
at the distance you normally shoot birds ( most successful distance ) and 5 yds farther , will make you happier !

You don't need to spend a lot of money on a well constructed choke , just one that works for you and the ammo you like !

Only you can determine this ! :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:03 pm

If you love your dogs you will leave your ported guns at home...............

Unless they have hearing protection, too !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:11 pm

Cutting and polishing the forcing cone is the first thing I do to any shotgun barrel - as long as the bore is not chrome lined...

Regardless of chamber length, I feel you should always cut and polish the forcing cone, unless your barrel already comes with an extended forcing cone. Yes, a long forcing cone is beneficial when shooting steel shot. I have seen guns with short and rough forcing cones that would throw consistent 40% pattern at 40 yds., then cut a 2" forcing cone with a fine polish and with the same loads and choke, this gun would throw 60+ % patterns. I have seen this time and again, and to repeat myself, if you are shooting steel shot, make sure your forcing is cut (extended) and polished - it does make a difference....
By HIS stripes, we are healed...
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby Dedduc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:~12 seasons ago, I contacted Seminole Gun Works in Florida (2X) and asked about forcing cone and back boring work on my SBE.

Both guys (two separate calls) told me that for steel shot, such work was a waste of my money as lead shot is the primary beneficiary of such enhancements.

I have heard this before about back boring but not forcing cones . Angle Port told me this years ago when they did my H&K Sbe. They said for steel shot forcing cones is a must but back boring is more for when you shoot mostly lead .
Dedduc
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:03 pm

Dedduc wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:~12 seasons ago, I contacted Seminole Gun Works in Florida (2X) and asked about forcing cone and back boring work on my SBE.

I have heard this before about back boring but not forcing cones . Angle Port told me this years ago when they did my H&K Sbe. They said for steel shot forcing cones is a must but back boring is more for when you shoot mostly lead .

I've had three (3) barrels that the forcing cones were honed out to 2+X the factory length.

Pre & Post patterns were basically unchanged which tended to (IMO) validate what the guys at Seminole stated.

This was done back in the late 1990's when I was trying any and everything to find improvement with the commercial steel crap that was available back then.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:17 pm

With back-boring I believe there is a benefit , along with most manufactures shotguns ( these days ) come back-bored !
If .729 was a standard bore diameter for most all US made shotguns but , Now they can be from .732 to .742 bore dia. !
for better patterns with less radial pressure to the barrel . As far as Forcing cones , shooting steel shot , well it's been
proven that any increase does help but , there is no gain past 1 1/2" in the forcing cone ! And , some manufactures are
doing that as well in the Waterfowl guns they offer .

Even Boonelli's :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum