Stoeger m2000 loading/ double feeding issue

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Stoeger m2000 loading/ double feeding issue

Postby Wallew » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:58 pm

I have always shot 870s. This summer I was in my local gun shop picking up some target loads and clays. I was shooting the breeze and looking through the used shotguns. They had a barely used Stoeger m2000 for $300. I know they have mixed reviews but I figured for that price how could I go wrong. The gun will just get beat up because it will only be used on waterfowl.

At this point in the waterfowl season I have about a case and a half of black cloud through it, plus about a case of target loads.

Up until about a month ago I had not one complaint about the cheap Stoeger. It has run like a beast.

Once in a while I had an issue while loading the magazine. I would push a shell in the magazine and it would get spit back out between the carrier and bolt. I figured I was just hurrying to reload in the field and not pushed the shell into the magazine quite enough.

We'll about a month ago it started happening more frequently. Plus I have recently experienced a couple of double feeds which results in a jam.

I religiously clean and lube my guns. It is definitely not from lack of maintenance.

After investigating the issue, what I have figured out is that when I am loading the magazine. After the shell is pushed into the magazine I let off of the carrier. When the carrier gets 3/4 of the way to its resting position it feels like it gets hung up on something. Not enough to stop it but just like it is brushing up against something while it pivots. When it moves past the hang up it spits the shell out of the magazine between the carrier and bolt.

I have had the entire gun apart a couple of times, trying to see what the carrier is getting snagged on sometimes but can't find anything.

I have searched a lot of forums online to see if anyone has had this issue before. I have come across about every issue under the sun except this particular one I am experiencing.

If anyone can help or give advice I would appreciate it? ( Please refrain from the typical " you should have spent $1600 on a shotgun" comments)
Wallew
hunter

Re: Stoeger m2000 loading/ double feeding issue

Postby Wallew » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:28 pm

I contacted Stoeger today to see if they could help me with the issue I am having. They said that without seeing the gun that they couldn't tell me what the issue was caused by.

They asked if I wanted to send it in for a warranty repair. I explained that I was the second owner and that I didn't know that I could send it in for a warranty repair. The guy I spoke to said that they don't advertise it but they will almost always accept a gun in for warranty repair. He said that they stand behind what they sell and will fix the gun for me. He told me that I have to pay to ship it to them but they will cover the cost of parts, labor and return shipping.

I was shocked to say the least. The guy told me that it as of today repairs are running 25 days from the day that they receive the gun until the day they ship it back out. Hopefully this holds true.

I will ship it out tomorrow. When I get it back I will post how long it actually takes to get back and how the repair went.
Wallew
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum