Duck Hunting Forum banner

Churchill Franchi 12 gauge help!!

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Botiz630 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the forums. I just got started in duck hunting last year and I just recently acquired an S.P.A. Luigi Churchill Franchi Brescia Semi-Auto 12 gauge shotgun. This gun was made in 89 and from what I've been able to find out it was imported by the Ellet brothers of Chapin, SC. It is chambered for 3 inch shells and is gas driven. I'm currently having trouble with the gun jamming. After kicking the empty shell casing out it jams trying to chamber another shell to where I have to manually push the bolt forward to chamber it. Nothing seems to be getting caught. It's just lazy pushing the shell into the chamber. From what I've been told by a local gunsmith, that gas piston should be moving freely and it's not. It actually has a decent amount of friction on it. When the gun jams I can remove the forend cover and the piston is down in the rear position away from where it seats. I can push that piston up and then by cycling the action by hand it works like it should. It's only when firing the gun that it jams as if the friction on that piston is keeping it from cycling like it should. Maybe I'm looking totally in the wrong direction but I was hoping someone might know a little about this gun and could tell me if I'm on the right track and what I need to do to free that piston up. I know a lot of guns have a friction ring that can be turned around for lighter vs heavier loads being shot but this piston looks totally different than most. I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone might have

See less See more
#5 ·
Quack I just got done taking care of the exact same problem with a older sportsman 12 of mine.

I disassembled the gun, removed the piston and polished the heck out of it with steel wool. Mine was dirty and was getting stuck in the collar at the gas port. I kept polishing it until it shined like a mirror and slid easily up and down the magazine tube. I also replaced the piston seal while I was in there, the gun now functions perfectly. Give it a try.

#7 ·
Quackattack2014 said:
Thanks Botiz630! I will certainly try polishing the piston up just the same as you did and see if that will allow it to slide easier. I would like to replace the seal as well. Any suggestions on who might have that seal considering this gun is hard to find parts for?
I'd check Brownells and MidwayUSA for starters and go from there. I'm no gunsmith, but I'd assume that one for any franchi model would work for you? They only cost a buck or two so you won't be out much if you find it doesn't fit.

#8 ·
Botiz630 said:
Quackattack2014 said:
Thanks Botiz630! I will certainly try polishing the piston up just the same as you did and see if that will allow it to slide easier. I would like to replace the seal as well. Any suggestions on who might have that seal considering this gun is hard to find parts for?
I'd check Brownells and MidwayUSA for starters and go from there. I'm no gunsmith, but I'd assume that one for any franchi model would work for you? They only cost a buck or two so you won't be out much if you find it doesn't fit.
Thanks man will do. I'll let you know what I find out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.