barrel washing

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

barrel washing

Postby buzp » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:02 am

Hello, I am new to this forum and would like to ask a question regarding rust treatment. I have a Browning Cynergy classic that gets a surface coating of rust when I use it on the Texas coast. I have used the search function for rust treatment and several suggested scrubbing the barrels in hot soapy water. My question is how do you do this? Do you fill the bath tub and dunk, scrub and rinse or do you use the shower to spray the barrels? Also, what about the ejectors, do they get scrubbed too? I'm thinking about having the barrels ceracoated after the duck season, will this help reduce the rusting I am experiencing?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
buzp
Newb

Re: barrel washing

Postby gcs » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:41 pm

Wash it if you want, just make sure you get it dry, like with a hair dryer. When you do get it dry, try a coating of paste wax, that works pretty good and is easy to keep up, cheap too.
I have an old 11-87 with the SP finish, that gun would rust as you watched it, I finally quit struggling with it and just kept steelwooling with oil till the whole exterior is now a pretty brown. :biggrin: don't rust now and it's camouflaged. :thumbsup:
gcs
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:15 am

Washing in HOT soapy water gets the salty moisture off the gun, I used to do that when I hunted Maine and with my Browning A-5's as they were a pain to strip down completely to clean. If you use hot water it almost dries itself very quickly and with some compressed air you can blow out the rest then towel dry it. Oil it up afterwards and your good to go.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dudejcb » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:01 pm

mix up a batch of Ed's Red. Clean the trigger mechanism, bolt. magazine and use a barrel mop and brush dipped in ER. THen wipe clean with paper towels & patches, and then wipe down with oily rag or chamois cloth (soaked in or saturated with) Break Free. don't over oil your gun just wipe it down after every use.

Ed's Red will remove all gunk including plastic wad residue. In rifles it will leave the copper in the barrel, where you want it.

Ed's Red: Mix four equal parts of:
-Dexron II or III Automatic Transmision Fluid
-Acetone
-Turpentine
-1-K Kerosene

You get everything but the ATF at Lowe's or Home Depot, or at one of them old timey things places ... a Hardware Store.

Oh yeah, store the red in an empty can, like a Colman Fuel White Gas can. ER dissolves some plastics.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:18 pm

Clean the metal with a quick drying solvent.
Then, brush coat it with Renaissance Wax, and melt it in with a heat gun.

The barrel will go all season without developing surface rust.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Eduardvics » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:31 am

Each barrel is different. Some may clean up fast with just patches; others may demand scrubbing with bronze brushes. You may have to experiment with longer/shorter cleaning intervals and various solvents to find the right system for your barrel. In general however, we think most people can brush much less than they do currently.
Eduardvics
Newb

Postby ksfowler166 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:54 pm

On another forum I read guys recommending coating the inside of the bores with a good quality oil and the outside of the gun with Rigs grease to protect older SxS's while hunting on saltwater. As to the barrel washing, black powder shooters who also wash their guns with hot soapy water use a couple of different methods. One would be to dunk the barrels in the bathtub, two would be to shower with them, and three would to take a 5 gal bucket and stick the barrels in it while running tight fitting patches through the bores. You would also want to clean the bolt/ejectors and stuff but probably not with hot soapy water if you are shooting a non-break action gun.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:48 pm

dudejcb wrote:mix up a batch of Ed's Red. Clean the trigger mechanism, bolt. magazine and use a barrel mop and brush dipped in ER. THen wipe clean with paper towels & patches, and then wipe down with oily rag or chamois cloth (soaked in or saturated with) Break Free. don't over oil your gun just wipe it down after every use.

Ed's Red will remove all gunk including plastic wad residue. In rifles it will leave the copper in the barrel, where you want it.

Ed's Red: Mix four equal parts of:
-Dexron II or III Automatic Transmision Fluid
-Acetone
-Turpentine
-1-K Kerosene

You get everything but the ATF at Lowe's or Home Depot, or at one of them old timey things places ... a Hardware Store.

Oh yeah, store the red in an empty can, like a Colman Fuel White Gas can. ER dissolves some plastics.

I use mineral spirits rather than turpenting, works fine and is cheaper. I get all the ingredients at Walmart. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum