Drilling a sling stud?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Drilling a sling stud?

Postby Fowl'in up NORTH » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:53 pm

Just got a bps10 field model and it doesn't have any sling mounts. I want to install a stud into the wood stock. I will buy the mag cap that already has the stud welded on. How would one install a stud into a wood stock. I don't want one of the loop slings.
Fowl'in up NORTH
hunter

Re: Drilling a sling stud?

Postby dduckman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:36 pm

They make bits specifically for drilling the stock for the stud, we had a couple different sizes we used, made a mark for center, then center punched it and drilled out on a press.

Brownells or modway may sell the bit, or take it to a smith and have it done, should be fairly cheap!
dduckman
hunter

Postby SteveInOR » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:17 pm

dduckman wrote:They make bits specifically for drilling the stock for the stud, we had a couple different sizes we used, made a mark for center, then center punched it and drilled out on a press.

Brownells or modway may sell the bit, or take it to a smith and have it done, should be fairly cheap!

I just used my drill for my 870, but basically did the same thing. The stud you buy should have instructions for what size bits to use. I think my kit was from uncle mikes. I also squirted a dab of wood glue on the screw portion of the stud and put a touch of clear silicone around the bottom of the stud portion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteveInOR
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:33 pm

Never Glue them in, If you use the proper size drill and seat them properly you do not need glue and it is miserable if you want to replace a rusty one or change to another style like a tactical or quick release. I always use a 1/16" pilot drill to help guide the bit. make sure you have the hole square to the stock or your stud will look poorly installed and people will notice.

P1020566.JPG

P1020567.JPG

P1020568.JPG

P1020569.JPG
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SteveInOR » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:16 am

Interesting... The instructions that came with mine specifically said to use a dab of glue on the screw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteveInOR
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum