SBE2 double feed?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

SBE2 double feed?

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:10 pm

This weekend my sbe2 had its first jam. Two of them actually. Both were double feeds after the first shot. The first one happened on Saturday so that night I field stripped it a gave it a cleaning and oiling. It happened again on Sunday. Any ideas?
clampdaddy
hunter

Re: SBE2 double feed?

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:58 pm

clampdaddy wrote:This weekend my sbe2 had its first jam. Two of them actually. Both were double feeds after the first shot. The first one happened on Saturday so that night I field stripped it a gave it a cleaning and oiling. It happened again on Sunday. Any ideas?

Mine is doing the same thing. Brand new gun. The little catch that holds the shells in the mag tube doesn't seem to be working efficiently and will pull down the second shell before I even shoot. Cleaned it before last weekend and it seemed to help but this weekend it was back doing it.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:59 pm

If the bolt comes back to fast , it will hit the recoil lug ,releasing the next shell in the magazine . This only happen
shooting 3 1/2" ammo , that I know of ........ :yes: :yes:

Check the stock spring.....it might be to soft ...already ? :huh:
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:02 pm

3200 man wrote:If the bolt comes back to fast , it will hit the recoil lug ,releasing the next shell in the magazine . This only happen
shooting 3 1/2" ammo , that I know of ........ :yes: :yes:

Check the stock spring.....it might be to soft ...already ? :huh:

Just shooting 3" Kents. I haven't cleaned the tube in the stock yet. Didn't seem like it could really cause a double feed but I'll get into it next.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:18 pm

Maybe check the spring that operates the action release/magazine lock. Just make sure it's clean and not damaged. Maybe clean the mag spring also.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:Maybe check the spring that operates the action release/magazine lock. Just make sure it's clean and not damaged. Maybe clean the mag spring also.

That all looks good. I'm seeing one thing that looks a little funny to me but its kind of hard to explain. You know that little switch that you press to release a shell from the mag or to lock the bolt back? The pin that goes through it seems like its a touch to long. If you're looking downward at the trigger group and that pin is pushed in all the way to the left, everything is nice and tight. If it is pushed over to the right, the plate that makes up that switch becomes loose and kind of wobbles around. That plate is what engages the shell catch. It seems to me that a very thin e-clip or washer to take up that slack may be a good place to start. I still have 9 years worth of warranty on the gun but for some damned reason I just can't pass on a riddle without figuring out the answer for myself first. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby rerhardt » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:40 pm

First you have too explain what a double feed is? two shells coming from the mag tube?, not totally ejecting? etc...
The sliver lever that releases shells to the carrier is loose by design, I agree, and I have shimmed mine but that is not what is causing a double feed. In fact, if you load your gun(have one in the chamber and drop one onto the carrier by pushing that sliver tab up the gun will function fine, when you pull the trigger a tab on the sliver lever which is really called the carrier release is pushed up by the hammer spring. All that being said, it is not the play (caused by the pin being longer then you think it should be that causes your double feed. Let me know what exactly is happening and I can tell you what to look for.
rerhardt
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:09 pm

Don't know if I can help, but I had this problem on my Beretta 1201, which is almost the same as the SBE. Had the problem for a long time until I took the magazine latch (which is the thing which catches the shells that are in the mag, and has the button you are talking about.) off and examined it closely. The inside part of the latch has a spring tensioned tab and a body. I found my latch body was slightly warped and had a tiny burr from the manufacturing that kept the tab from extending just enough to catch the shells quick enough to prevent double feeding. So I filed down the burr and cleaned it up and since then it has worked perfectly... That is until it got so dang cold (below zero)that it happened once probably from some ice in the latch, which if you are shooting in the cold might be the problem..Hope this helps.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:30 pm

rerhardt wrote:First you have too explain what a double feed is? two shells coming from the mag tube?, not totally ejecting? etc...
The sliver lever that releases shells to the carrier is loose by design, I agree, and I have shimmed mine but that is not what is causing a double feed. In fact, if you load your gun(have one in the chamber and drop one onto the carrier by pushing that sliver tab up the gun will function fine, when you pull the trigger a tab on the sliver lever which is really called the carrier release is pushed up by the hammer spring. All that being said, it is not the play (caused by the pin being longer then you think it should be that causes your double feed. Let me know what exactly is happening and I can tell you what to look for.

Yeah, a double feed. Two shells being released from the mag. The first time one shell went on top of the carrier, the second one shout out the bottom when the carrier raised. The second time both shells came out of the mag and caused a traffic jam in the lower end. Latch looks fine. No crud under it. Spring has good tension.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:58 pm

How many rounds did you put though that sucker. Might want to try spraying the trigger group with some crud buster it's a shot in the dark but cant hurt.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:33 am

Have you tired a different round in the gun? I will check one out this evening in the shop but I have seen this one time when the hull rim (slightly undersized in a lot) was not being retained very well in the magazine by the catch.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:06 am

The gun has probably 500-600 rounds through it. The malfunctions happened with Kents. Haven't tried any other shells in it yet since the jams happened. I found a small snap ring that took up the extra space on that pin. The trigger group wasn't gunked up but it was on the dry side.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby TROB » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:17 am

I had the same problems last year, a LOT. I switched both springs to Wolff +25% springs, did a full strip cleaning, cleaning both tubes etc, and had a couple double feeds the very next day. However, over time, it seemed to go away and work better. I didn't have any double feeds this year.

Mine were always the traffic jam type where it launched 2 shells in-line. They were a real pain to fix in the field.

Good luck.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:05 am

Clamp , Is the magazine tube spring putting enough pressure on the shells to hold them tight against the retainer ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:22 pm

3200 man wrote:Clamp , Is the magazine tube spring putting enough pressure on the shells to hold them tight against the retainer ?

Yeah. It's a ba$tard to load compared to any of my other guns. You really have to push to get the rounds in there but it is easier than when I first got it. Maybe I need to stretch it a little. About halfway through the season I noticed that it didn't make as loud of a "snap" sound when the rim cleared the latch but I figured it was just breaking in. The edge of the latch isn't quite as sharp as it was when it was new. I cleaned the mag tube last night. It had a bit of dry powder residue in there but nothing crazy.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:08 pm

That's weird you might have to trim your spring a little. My shells go in pretty easily, just like any other gun in terms of ease of loading shells into the mag. Your spring might be a little long. Idk i just noticed this was you second time stating that so it might be your problem.

Might be worth a call to benelli to ask how long the spring should be.

If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:19 pm

I think your carrier latch might be done.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:50 pm

winchester1852 wrote:I think your carrier latch might be done.

I've had the same problem on a brand new gun. Less than a box through it
teddysberna wrote:

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:54 pm

Test fired it today. Two boxes of shells, two double feeds and one stove pipe. I guess now the last step is to pull the recoil spring assembly apart and see if anything is in there that didn't come out by the brake cleaner douche I gave it. If it looks clean it's going back to benelli.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:25 pm

Well good luck keep us updated.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:02 pm

I went to the local gun shop today and there just happened to be a Benelli rep there. I explained to him what it was doing and the first thing he asked me was "You shooting Kents?". To which I replied "Yeah, why do you ask?". He said that most of the time he has seen that happen it was with Kent shells and thinks it may have to do with the bevel they put on the edge of the rim allowing the shell to push past the shell latch. He also told me to try some Federals and see if it did the same thing, so today I repeatedly loaded the mag and manually tripped the switch on the side of the gun to release a shell from the mag. Within 25 cycles of the Kents I had a double feed. About a hundred attempts with the federals not a single jam occurred.

So now the question is, do I send it in because it jams with my favorite load or just switch to shooting other ammunition?
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:15 pm

you might just get your gun back after a few months just to be told use different ammo or they could replace a part and happily ever after.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:39 pm

clampdaddy wrote:I went to the local gun shop today and there just happened to be a Benelli rep there. I explained to him what it was doing and the first thing he asked me was "You shooting Kents?". To which I replied "Yeah, why do you ask?". He said that most of the time he has seen that happen it was with Kent shells and thinks it may have to do with the bevel they put on the edge of the rim allowing the shell to push past the shell latch. He also told me to try some Federals and see if it did the same thing, so today I repeatedly loaded the mag and manually tripped the switch on the side of the gun to release a shell from the mag. Within 25 cycles of the Kents I had a double feed. About a hundred attempts with the federals not a single jam occurred.

So now the question is, do I send it in because it jams with my favorite load or just switch to shooting other ammunition?

Hmmm. I'm shooting Kent's as well. I went ahead and left mine with the smith. We shall see here in about 6 months when I get it back from him.
teddysberna wrote:

Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:10 pm

If I had a gun that wouldn't shoot Kent's , I would be P....ed ! In my estimation patterning , the best ammo around .

I hope you got that Rep's name and number ? I would tell that Sucker , you didn't spend $1500. on a gun that you were

lead to believe it would shoot anything , yea right , Benelli Click and now what shell it will shoot ?? :yes: :mad: :mad:

Send it back and tell them to fix it or tell them to send you a ..........................................Maxus !
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:52 pm

winchester1852 wrote:you might just get your gun back after a few months just to be told use different ammo or they could replace a part and happily ever after.

That's what I'm afraid of. Getting a letter that says something like "we test all of our guns with brand ??? ammo and we could not duplicate the problem. Maybe you should contact Kent.". It's just weird that it went through a full case of Kents before the problem arose.
clampdaddy
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum