What Kind of Lube?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

What Kind of Lube?

Postby just.learnin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:21 pm

I am going to do a complete cleaning on my SX3 now that the season is over. I have never taken the action spring and plunger out of the action spring tube, I have read that it can be a pain taking the pin out. I'm not looking forward to it. My question is, once I get everything taken apart what kind of lube should I use when I reassemble the action spring assembly. This is something that hardly ever gets attention so I want to make sure to use the right kind of lube. Any knowledge would be appreciated! Oh yeah, any tips getting that action spring retainer pin out would be awesome too!
jehler wrote:
jrockncash wrote: it was to big.
that's what wackems wife told me...but i still managed :hammer:

jehler is my hero
just.learnin
hunter

Re: What Kind of Lube?

Postby 23yearsago » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:08 am

On the action spring pin,,,,use a small drift punch, drill bit, nail,,, anything smaller diameter that will go through the hole. The pin should push out pretty easily and then slowly remove the drift and be prepared to catch the spring before it flies across the room :eek: ! Feeding it back in can be fun too, use a wooden dowel, unsharpened pencil to push the pinned end beyond the hole then re-insert the pin.
Any quality gun lube used sparingly should do the job, BreakFree CLP, EEzox, RemOil there can't be that much difference between any of the brands available or they wouldn't still be selling.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:12 am

get a set of punches, only a couple dollars at walmart for a cheap set with many sizes. They make taking pins out SO much easier!

I use Break free CLP, and there is a difference between it and Remoil.... remoil gets thick and gummy at low temps. Not to mention it just gets gummy and attracts a lot more gunk than other oils.

I'd also suggest cleaning the trigger group and inner action very well, spray them out with an air compressor if you have access to one. As well a set of gun cleaning picks really helps get deposits out of little nooks and the such.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby gearhead80 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:24 am

What flavors does she like???? :eek:
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:02 pm

gearhead80 wrote:What flavors does she like???? :eek:

the chocolate, strawberry, and banana flavors are always good for starters! :thumbsup:

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby just.learnin » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:26 pm

Thanks, I have a set of punches that I'm hoping will make it easier. I will just use my normal Lube, I wasn't sure if I should be using some sort of dry graphite lube or something more fancy.

I have got the other flavors locked down!! :sarcmark:
jehler wrote:

jehler is my hero
just.learnin
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:58 pm

Living in Washington you might want to use Mil-tec or Breakfree ? It works best for me .
3200 man
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:06 pm

Mix up & use Ed's Red to clean everything. After clean and dry, wipe down with rag or chamois cloth soaked/saturated with Break Free.

DO NOT OVER OIL your guns! Wipe them down with a thin film of oil, no drops (except maybe a small dipped pinhead drop on each slider rail/track). That's it.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby aerangis » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:12 am

2500hdon37s wrote:get a set of punches, only a couple dollars at walmart for a cheap set with many sizes. They make taking pins out SO much easier!

I use Break free CLP, and there is a difference between it and Remoil.... remoil gets thick and gummy at low temps. Not to mention it just gets gummy and attracts a lot more gunk than other oils.

I'd also suggest cleaning the trigger group and inner action very well, spray them out with an air compressor if you have access to one. As well a set of gun cleaning picks really helps get deposits out of little nooks and the such.

Excellent advice.

If you hunt sub-freezing temps or hunt hard for days on end between cleaning stay away from oil based lubricants. They gum up and attract dirt and debris.

I use Hoppes dry lube on trigger groups and CLP on the bolt, extractor, and firing pin. Works like a champ in sub freezing temps.
aerangis
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:45 pm

too much oil left on the gun and inside the gun will hold powder and all sorts of
debris
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:45 am

Make sure you just lightly coat it with lube. I have been using frog lube and like it.

Do not use REMOIL.....trust me

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby just.learnin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:58 pm

The pin came out pretty easy with the correct punch! I will lightly lube it and get it all put back together! When I took the magazine spring out, the tube was quite rusty. I was pretty surprised! Got the rust scrubbed out as good as I could and oiled it to hopefully prevent it in the future. I hunt eastern Washington so the temp is fairly cold, probably about an average of 25 degrees most of the season. Thanks for all of the advice!
jehler wrote:

jehler is my hero
just.learnin
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:57 am

I know of no modern gun oils that "gum up" over time, or that get thick in zero degree temps. They all work very well. Get what's most available. I have used RemOil and Outer's Tri-Care in my autoloaders in temps well below zero degrees F for decades, and have had no problems with either.

An easy test is to put a small amount of the oil you are considering using in a bottle cap, then put the oil/cap in the freezer for several hours (most home freezers produce temps right at zero). I think you'll find that all gun oils will remain fluid.
"Gumming up" is also a myth. It would take decades before any modern oils would thicken to the point of being unusable. A gun that is used/cleaned only once a year will not experience "gumming up" if you use a modern gun oil....maybe if you use olive oil, but not gun oil.

Gun lubrication is not rocket science. From a lubrication standpoint, guns are simple: no 20,000rpm components, no temps over about 150 degrees (which is nothing to an oil), no 100,000psi pressures, no one-million-cycles between re-lubing. If it weren't for the corrosion protection afforded by gun oils, we could actually get away with NO lubes on our guns in most cases (and, in many cases, we do just that).
mudpack
hunter

Postby Loose Wire » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:41 pm

-CLP on most everything day in day out. Buy it by the gallon.
-Lubriplate SFL-0 if it deserves a general grease.
-Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease on auto pistol slides.
-Rig Universal for long term storage or perhaps bad weather exterior protection.

Those four cover everything I need to do.
Loose Wire
hunter

Postby nitram » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:10 pm

Mil Tec, Mil-Comm, MPRO7, & Snake Oil are all great firearm lubes.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:02 am

Gotta chime in, you don't ever want to mix dry and wet lubes. The dry and wet will mix and can become gritty or gummy depending on the amounts and brands. Here in the desert and even in the early season back home I have found Remoil to actually dry out quite quickly (some times a matter of hours). I'm not sure if there is a civilian equivalent to the CLP the Army uses, but the stuff we get handles hot and cold very well and has an extremely slow evaporation time. I squirrel away a bottle or two every couple of years. Like another poster said, most stuff available now is actually quite effective below freezing. If you really worry about lube not handling the cold, take some out and experiment with it next season, or before your part of the world warms up. Put a drip on something cold and metal and then see if it gums up or gets sticky. Also a +1 for light coat, most people's light coat is not light enough.

Once you have rust, it never truly goes away (unless you grind or polish past the oxidation). You can slow it down or stop it's growth with oil but the oxidation has started and will continue without treatment. I suggest that you now check this rust spot before and after every season. Maybe even after really wet hunts as well. I would suggest where moisture/rust is an issue, don't use dry lube, as it won't protect against moisture or stop oxidation.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby wraithen » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:30 pm

Anyone ever clean something? Would you use that cleaner as a lubricant? Would you think that a cleaner is also a preservative? Break free/clp got a lot of hype since the military used it. We didnt have a choice. It will attract sand and dust and helps foul up stuff more quickly than no lube at all if you truly punish your gun. Get miltec and do what the bottle says. Clean your gun to spotless. Wipe it down with a thin coat of mil tec. heat up the metal and reapply once a season. When you clean your gun if you need anything other than a cloth for any part except the breach to muzzle then you didnt apply the miltec correctly. CLP on heavily used machine gun caused jams. Mil tec always kept our machine guns happy. One even ran while it was eating itself up until a chunk of aluminum blocked the bolt from moving forward.

That being said use any lube you want as long as it promises only to lube and/or preserve. Cleaning shiuld be left to the cleaning tools and chemicals.
Education is important, but common sense is importanter ~ tknight006
wraithen
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:54 am

Don't confuse CLP with a bore solvent. I honestly don't think there is much of a difference between military CLP and 5W-20 motor oil. The only cleaning aspect I noticed was sticky stuff young soldiers spilled on their rifles, and getting carbon out of the micro-pores in the metal. As a lube or a protective coat, it's not bad at all. The common mistake is that people cover their guns in it and go "damn, my stuffs dusty." Of course it is, you covered it in oil. You only need to put it on moving metal to metal contact points to effectively lube. Grease can cause damage if not used properly as well. To much can throw moving parts out of tolerance and might be why your machine gun ate its self. My main point is that choosing the right lube is situational, and a "CLP" is more along the lines of a cLP. I would use any lube if it fit the gun and the situation. Unless you're in a desert, dust isn't always the big deal that some make it to be. If you practice good maintenance, you'll never have issues with dust, regardless of the lube you use. When ever buying a new gun, you should check the manual and the warranty info, certain substances might void your warranty also.

Edit to add: Never had a problem with CLP on machine guns, unless they got so hot that they started cooking the CLP. But that's not a problem someone should run into shooting ducks.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:16 am

I use CLP most of the time. I use G96 on my auto pistols
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby KRB » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:23 pm

No problems with CLP. Don't use it to clean barrel or gas piston, Use hopes no.9. Not dealing with copper on shotguns, just powder and plastic.
KRB
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:22 am

Less is more.
I've been using the same can of Singer sewing machine oil since the 1970's.
It's still full.
The only guns I ever had feeze up on me...one was covered in ice. (no oil makes a gun ice proof)
The other was an old semi-auto Beretta that had never been cleaned. The recoil spring was nasty, corroded, and weak.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:14 pm

Jimmy82 wrote:Edit to add: Never had a problem with CLP on machine guns, unless they got so hot that they started cooking the CLP. But that's not a problem someone should run into shooting ducks.

you dont hunt public marshes do you?

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Jimmy82 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:03 am

2500hdon37s wrote:
Jimmy82 wrote:Edit to add: Never had a problem with CLP on machine guns, unless they got so hot that they started cooking the CLP. But that's not a problem someone should run into shooting ducks.

I don't see the point of your post. I'm talking about 400 to 1000 rounds shot through a fully automatic machine gun in 120F+ temps in the span of 20 to 30 minutes. If you're getting that much shooting hunting ducks please bring me along. And yes, so far all of my duck hunting has been on public land.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:52 am

Jimmy82 wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:

I don't see the point of your post. I'm talking about 400 to 1000 rounds shot through a fully automatic machine gun in 120F+ temps in the span of 20 to 30 minutes. If you're getting that much shooting hunting ducks please bring me along. And yes, so far all of my duck hunting has been on public land.

its a joke :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It always seams like there is one party on public land (if you hunt draw in/ allocated pools) that will always be shooting, usually at any duck within 150yds.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Jimmy82 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:29 am

Ah :oops: no, it was really quiet this year. We probably weren't in a good spot lol.
Jimmy82
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum