Bondo repair

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Bondo repair

Postby slowshooter » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:08 am

One of my wood guns has a bit of dry rot in the stock. Think about just carving out the rot and refilling with bondo. Then hitting the wood with some spray paint since it probably would look like crap since bondo likely wouldn't stain well.

What do you guys think?
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Re: Bondo repair

Postby 23yearsago » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:41 am

Bondo is pretty amazing stuff for sure! But wondering if JBWeld KwikWood epoxy repair would work better for you. I used it on a stock that had a mis-placed sling stud hole and now,,, if you don't know the stock was repaired it's hard to notice.
Once it cured and sanded smooth I used a pencil to draw similar surrounding grain onto the repair, then used wood repair colored felt-tip markers to blend the color, finished off with clear urethane. Once dried I used 1200grit wet sand then hand buffed with polishing compound. Good luck whatever you use.
Hope this helps.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:53 am

I'd use fine saw dust of a similar wood mixed with wood glue. Ideally the dust should come from the same piece of wood. Save the dust from when you carve out the rot and maybe get some more by grinding some wood out from under the recoil pad. Sometimes it is actually hard to find the patched spot when its done. Depending on the size of the repair, you may want to sink a screw or two into the area and lop off the heads, leaving some of the threaded shank showing. It will give your filler of choice something extra to hold onto.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:55 am

Excellent suggestion on the insertion of screws for material grip......I'd thought of that in my post and forgot to mention :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .
23yearsago
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:58 pm

Great ideas. I'll take the stock over to the the lumber yard and try to match it up. Then see if I can make a good slurry out of an adhesive.

Thanks gents!

slow
slowshooter
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:41 pm

slowshooter wrote:Great ideas. I'll take the stock over to the the lumber yard and try to match it up. Then see if I can make a good slurry out of an adhesive.

Thanks gents!

slow

Just make sure to use an adhesive that will accept a stain. Otherwise you'll just end up with a brite white spot on a dark colored stock. If you have a sander with a catch bag, that is the best way I've found to get the filler material for your slurry.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby On the X » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:20 pm

In the paint department of your local Lowes or Home Depot theres a section where they stock epoxies. Theres a 2 part putty stick, you break off the amount you need and knead it with your fingers til its mixed to a uniform grey. It has the same results as Bondo but is much more workable with a uniform work time (10-15 minutes) and it doesn't run away from the work area. Plus it's formable to any desired shape or form. As with Bondo, good luck with matching stain but you can experiment with different paints JUST to the repair. You can use the rest of the stick to make paint/stain samples as well. I have a home repair business and use this type of product for countless repairs. As mention previously, remove ALL loose would fiber in rot area before.
On the X
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:00 am

Why not use Epoxy resin, heat the wood up and brush on the resin, as it cools, it will pull the resin down it on the wood, just don't get it over 135°

Sent from my furloughed Obama phone!
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby John Singer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:52 am

I have considered doing the same type of repair with stocks that have "chunks" of wood missing. I am a chemist and I build boats and repair firearms as a hobby. I would recommend against using Bondo. Bondo is a polyester and it does not bond as well as does epoxy.

I have repaired damaged stocks with epoxy and on those where the epoxy shows through a finish, I have painted the stock with camo spray paint and they do look good and hold up very well.

I highly recommend filling gaps with a mixture of epoxy with what is known as "wood flour". Wood flour is a very fine sawdust. You can get it for no cost at a Home Depot. Take a plastic bag and go to the location where they have the operating panel saw in the store and ask the kid working there if you can have the fine saw dust from the top of their vacuum bag.

You can then mix most any epoxy as the instructions call, add the wood flour to the desired consistency. Apply a thin coat of epoxy to the site of damage on the stock as the wood will draw epoxy into the pores. Apply the epoxy-wood flour mix to the facilitate the repair. Allow it to cure and sand and paint as desired.

Good luck.
John Singer
John Singer
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks John! The wife had me running around to repair a bunch of stuff at our place and I finally got back to this project just tonight. I believe I have a bunch of wood flour left here by the previous owner. It's probably about 30 years old but still dry - I have to do see if there is a decent epoxy at Lowes or Home Depot to mix up.

Best!
slow
slowshooter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:58 pm

slowshooter
hunter

Postby On the X » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:13 pm

You will have better success with a product such as this because its more workable, and can be shaped how ever needed.
http://www.homedepot.com/s/stick%2520epoxies?NCNI-5
On the X
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum