Extra strength spring and recoil

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Extra strength spring and recoil

Postby flyndutchman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:17 pm

Does a replacement extra strength recoil spring in the Benelli M2 help manage the felt recoil or just make it cycle a little better? Mine cycles great with the factory spring, but I'm a recoil wimp and feel like it beats me. I've tried a Simm's recoil pad and both lengths of Benelli pads and different shims for fit and it just hurts with anything more than my 2 3/4" hand loads. I hit well with it and like the way it handles, but find myself using my 1187 because of the reduced recoil of the gas system.
flyndutchman
hunter

Re: Extra strength spring and recoil

Postby KRB » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:44 pm

Put a heavy spring in my M1 super 90 after 11 years of hard use. It helps cycle heavy loads, but not with recoil. A400 reduces recoil quite a bit.
KRB
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:49 pm

What spring are you referring to? I was thinking about putting a wolf spring in but I'm worried it will not cycle target loads

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby KRB » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:34 am

The recoil spring in the stock. It was a wolf spring. It cycled Ounce and an eighth fine.
KRB
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:30 am

J and P gun springs on the web , have been what I like . They are located in Florida and used by many gun manufactures
with fast shipping and good prices . They are easy to talk to and do understand what your needs are .
3200 man
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:37 am

flyndutchman wrote:Does a replacement extra strength recoil spring in the Benelli M2 help manage the felt recoil or just make it cycle a little better? Mine cycles great with the factory spring, but I'm a recoil wimp and feel like it beats me. I've tried a Simm's recoil pad and both lengths of Benelli pads and different shims for fit and it just hurts with anything more than my 2 3/4" hand loads. I hit well with it and like the way it handles, but find myself using my 1187 because of the reduced recoil of the gas system.

The spring won't help with recoil. Stay with the one you have. If you want less felt recoil add weight to the gun.
z51
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:55 pm

I've had 2 friends with broken springs in their guns that complained about recoil .

One was in a Browning Maxus , the spring in the piston broke while shooting 3 1/2" T's , the gun still worked fine but ,
like he said , this sucker is kicking the hell out of me ! When we went back to the truck we tore it down , the first thing
I noticed was the wear on the recoil-lug , it showed it had been pounded by the back of the bolt as the stock spring wasn't
able to withstand the pressure .

The other gun was a Beretta Sporting 390 that was maybe 15 years plus old , while shooting targets with this fella I could
see he was shooting 1300 fps loads and was having a fear of recoil . I asked him , why shoot those loads if they are to
much for you ? He said that's all he had been shooting for the last 8 years with no problems of recoil , it was just the last
few months this gun has bothered him . I asked to see the gun , I took it and bumped the butt-plate on the bench with just
a firm pressure and the bolt went half way back , I then asked if he'd ever checked the back of the receiver and looked at
the recoil-lug , he said no but for me to show him . Well , the spring in the stock lost its ability to resist the bolts pressure
and the bolt was beating the recoil-lug all to hell . So , springs do have a purpose to help with recoil ! How's Yours ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:46 pm

So worn out springs need to be replaced, what a shock. You seem tho have an ongoing problem with cause and effect.
Very creative stories though.
z51
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:30 pm

Just Experience my friend.......what's your's ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:49 pm

Buy a 20ga if you can't handle a 12ga. 12 is a 12 is a 12, With few exceptions.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:22 am

3200 man wrote:Just Experience my friend.......what's your's ?

The OP's question was will an extra strength action spring reduce recoil. The answer is of course NO.

Your story about a worn out recoil spring isn't germain to the question , nor is second party anecdotal evidence concerning a worn out spring proof of anything. I was simply pointing that out.
z51
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:30 am

He who shoots 3 1/2 " ammo in a 12 ga should look into a steady spring supply as your needs will come sooner than
you think ! If NOT , buying a new gun is your idea of controlling recoil is in the future ! :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:55 am

3200 man wrote:He who shoots 3 1/2 " ammo in a 12 ga should look into a steady spring supply as your needs will come sooner than
you think ! If NOT , buying a new gun is your idea of controlling recoil is in the future ! :thumbsup:

I have shot my SX 2 with all length shells thince 1999, that's 15 years, and I replaced the spring and follower exactly one time. I checked it when I cleaned and put up the gun in January, the spring was fine.

So much for your advice on action springs. :fingerpt:
z51
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:24 am

Now go check the rails that the bolt slides in , then look at the bolt buffer and tell me it's not pounded.....yea right !

I've worked on enough guns that have had 3 1/2" ammo shot in them , there is excessive wear to guns that shoot them !

Plus , and there is no reason to use them for (12 ga) in-range birds ! :hammer:
3200 man
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:27 am

The rails are fine, all is good. I know quite a it about frame battering, I do custom work and repair on 1911 autos.

The more you type the deeper you dig.
z51
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:54 am

Sounds like you do know your 1911's but , if you look at most all 3 1/2" chambered guns that have 3 1/2" ammo run
through them on a regular basis , they show excessive wear and the benefit of those shells is mute at the distance the
3" ammo can be just as effective with a lot less wear . I do like your choice of pellet size in 1's and with 1 3/8 oz or 140
pellets in the load at 60 yds ? or more like 55 yds or less can be killers , if the recoil doesn't impair your shooting ability ?
When a 2 3/4 " load at 1450 to 1475 fps with a 1 1/8 oz will accomplish the same killing effect at 50 yds plus with less
recoil . Even tho he who shoots less shells for a limit , Wins !
3200 man
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:58 am

You 3 1/2" haters in the tinfoil hats just never give up. Tell you what, you take care of your guns and I'll take care of mine.

You have taken another thread totally off subject to espouse your slanted views. How does that help? :huh:
z51
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:12 am

It's only experience I offer to this forum , some will understand and some won't ! You have your opinion and I have mine !
:beer:

Good Luck to you .... :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:31 am

You mean you don't know anything about hunting waterfowl? WOW
z51
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:56 am

After 54 years of hunting Waterfowl , some , but I'm learning all the time !

I have managed some really nice Clubs in some of those years !

And hunted both North and South of our U S border many times , along with hunting your state too !
3200 man
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:43 am

NO a new or stiffer recoil spring will not help with recoil.

Yes it can reduce your ability to shoot some lighter loads but as the spring weakens over time you might gain some of that back.

MY M2's and SBE II's have a mix of heavy and stock springs, If I am shooting 2-3/4 dram target loads I stick to the factory sprung guns as I know they will be more likely to cycle (SBE is marginal) but with the heavy springs I will get FTE issues even with some lesser 3dram loads in the SBE but the M2 seems to be about 99% with the 3 dram and heavy spring.

On to the 3.5" issue, :yes: I have fired 10's of thousands of rounds thru my guns and do not see ANY wear difference between 3" and 3.5" guns. what some do not understand is that the gas system regulates the bolt speed in a gas gun and between a 3" and 3.5" there is really no difference unless you modify the gas piston by what they call "sealing" then you have a battering gun that In my experience as a gunsmith will cause faster wear on the receiver and bolt (I have seen this happen). The Benelli system compresses a spring and the 3" rounds fully compress the bolt spring for operation (depending on the load of course). a 3.5" also fully compresses the bolt spring and the bolt speed is about the same. I will say that my SBE's and M2's recoil more with 3" partition gold slugs than with ANY 3.5" ammo I have ever tried. My 458 Win mag if more fun to shoot than an SBE with high velocity slugs or turkey loads.

If bigger loads destroyed the guns then the 10ga would in the scrap piles all over the place due to worn out rails and battered receivers. My bolt buffers and springs on my SP10's get changed about every 5 or 6 years if they need it or not.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:33 am

I guess that's why SRM , Wolf springs and J & P Custom Springs are so popular these days ? They wouldn't be in business
to offer replacement springs if they weren't needed ! Payload pressure determines recoil and with ( some ) guns not built
to withstand this pressure for any length of time , the rails wear-out as the springs weaken because the bolt speed is way
to much for the Cheap Alloy receivers they're made of . If this wasn't true , then , take a look at ANY auto hunting gun that
has been fed a diet of Remington Hypervelocity , Heavy Metal 3 1/2 " loads ? Even the well built guns ( SBE's , Golds ,
Beretta's ) are not lasting more than 5 or 6 years without repairs , IF you catch it , before it turns to junk . Gun companies
make a living selling guns and they encourage hunters to shoot 3 1/2" ammo in their guns , just for this reason ! :yes: :eek:
When you don't have anymore advantage with a 3 1/2" shell , than a 3 " load at normal shooting distances of 50 yds +or- !
If you want to withstand the recoil , gun wear and expense of a New Gun , have at it , our gun /ammo economy is relying on your
shooting to get worst as (time goes on) and you'll have to buy more ammo :yes: :lol3: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:37 am

3200 man wrote:I guess that's why SRM , Wolf springs and J & P Custom Springs are so popular these days ? They wouldn't be in business
to offer replacement springs if they weren't needed ! Payload pressure determines recoil and with ( some ) guns not built
to withstand this pressure for any length of time , the rails wear-out as the springs weaken because the bolt speed is way
to much for the Cheap Alloy receivers they're made of . If this wasn't true , then , take a look at ANY auto hunting gun that
has been fed a diet of Remington Hypervelocity , Heavy Metal 3 1/2 " loads ? Even the well built guns ( SBE's , Golds ,
Beretta's ) are not lasting more than 5 or 6 years without repairs , IF you catch it , before it turns to junk . Gun companies
make a living selling guns and they encourage hunters to shoot 3 1/2" ammo in their guns , just for this reason ! :yes: :eek:
When you don't have anymore advantage with a 3 1/2" shell , than a 3 " load at normal shooting distances of 50 yds +or- !
If you want to withstand the recoil , gun wear and expense of a New Gun , have at it , our gun /ammo economy is relying on your
shooting to get worst as (time goes on) and you'll have to buy more ammo :yes: :lol3: :lol3:

Where are you finding these high end 3.5" guns turning to junk after 5 or 6 years? My sx2 is 11 years old and the only part that has ever broke was the bolt handle. I shoot piles of 3.5" steel and buckshot loads every year with it, as well as hundreds of slugs.

Springs are cheap. I replace mine every 20 cases of shells. But I just buy factory replacements. The rails on my gun aren't wore or broke, and my receiver shows very little indication of bolt slap at the buffer. Just enough that I finally replaced the buffer.

How does a 3.5" load not have an advantage over a 3" load? 30 more pellets in the 1.5 oz load moving the same speed as the 1.25 oz load seems like an advantage to me when it comes to pattern density. Obviously 3.5" loads aren't needed for everything, but I just don't understand the attitude of "you shoot 3.5 inch" some how inferring a slob hunter or sucker for marketing or whatever.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:08 pm

I'm not saying you shouldn't shoot 3 1/2" shells , I just know , for 95 % of the hunters shooting at a distance of 50 yds or
more , 3" ammo will be just as effective with less recoil and less gun wear ! If you are a hunter that likes shooting beyond
the effective range of a 12 ga , you should be shooting a 10 ga with enough volume of bigger pellet , with less recoil , that's
built for handling a payload over 1 1/4 oz and last for years . The 5 % that do shoot 3 1/2" loads try to convince others (along
with Marketing Hype ) that they're just as good as a 10 ga but , don't tell how much their shooting / shoulder suffers after
a day of shooting them ? :fingerpt: I understand you replacing springs after 20 flats along with recoil buffers and if you didn't
you would wear out the rails in a short time with MOST good guns !

Hunters that know their effective range , shoot less shells for a limit of birds but there are very few that shoot 3 1/2 "
that are anymore effective than shooters shooting 3" ammo !
3200 man
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:37 am

Springs are preventative maintenance for guns just like brakes are for a car. they are there to slow things down and make them perform properly. The reason for the aftermarket on springs dates way back to the 1911 pistols (or before) when guys wanted to "tune" them to the loads they were using, some heavy and some really light. I have done this to my M&P 45's, 40's, 9's and 357 sigs. when shooting buffalo Bore ammo I drop in heavy springs to slow the slide down. When shooting my light reloads I go to a lighter spring to ensure proper cycling. The only reason I replace them in my shotguns is to ensure solid bolt lockup and prevent the out of battery conditions you can definitely get with a Benelli if you bump the stock on the ground. and I replace a lot of them for guys that store their guns with the action open and then start having cycling problems from the weakened spring. I have had Browning / Winchester springs that were 6" shorter than the factory replacement spring after being stored with the bolt open for an extended period.

I have been shooting a 10ga since 91 and 3.5" 12 since they came out. I CAN do anything with a 12 that I can do with a 10. Factory loads in the 10 are no better and in most cases Lighter in velocity and in some cases even in payload than the 3.5" 12. The only advantage I have found in the 10 is if I want to shoot some T shot or BBB with certain loads and choke combinations I can slightly beat the Benelli patterns (mainly with the T shot) but I generally shoot BB or under so it really does not matter. I just have the 10's because I like owning / shooting a lot of different guns. :yes:

The H&K SBE I bought around 94 did not wear out the receiver, it wore out the bolt locking lugs. Now I guess if you do not maintain your gun properly and keep the grit out of the receiver you will have issues as it acts like grinding compound.

My dad shoots 2-3/4" and does just fine at decoy distance and even some long shots but when it comes to distant Geese that is where the 3.5 with 20 or so extra BB's over the 3" makes a difference IMO.

I know of only 2 people that shoot 2-3/4" and everyone else I hunt with or talk to shoot 3.5", I can not name one person out of well over 100 that primarily shoots 3" ammo.

I do shoot 3" in the O/U's and it does work just fine but to me the O/U with 3" kicks a lot more than the semi auto with 3.5"
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum