Extra strength spring and recoil

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Re: Extra strength spring and recoil

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:04 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:

I do shoot 3" in the O/U's and it does work just fine but to me the O/U with 3" kicks a lot more than the semi auto with 3.5"

3" in my citori gives me more felt recoil than 3.5" in my sx2. I shot 3 boxes of 3.5" #1s in the snow goose spread on sunday, and you would think by some of these posts that my arm should be falling off right now and my gun should have shattered.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:40 am

tornadochaser wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:

I do shoot 3" in the O/U's and it does work just fine but to me the O/U with 3" kicks a lot more than the semi auto with 3.5"

3" in my citori gives me more felt recoil than 3.5" in my sx2. I shot 3 boxes of 3.5" #1s in the snow goose spread on sunday, and you would think by some of these posts that my arm should be falling off right now and my gun should have shattered.

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

I agree, You should be in the hospital getting shots for the pain in your shoulder. :fingerhead:

And do not forget to replace your shotgun before the next outing.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:41 am

Fellas that shoot 3 1/2" 1 1/2 oz loads don't kill anymore birds than hunters shooting 3 " 1 1/4 oz of 1's ! :no: :lol3:

Because , if they knew anything about ballistic's of steel shot and patterns........they wouldn't shoot it !

And , apparently don't lesson / read advise from fellas on the forum , that know ! :lol3: :lol3:

But , thanks for drinking the kool-aid of marketing as it does help the industries economy ...... :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:36 am

3200 man wrote:Fellas that shoot 3 1/2" 1 1/2 oz loads don't kill anymore birds than hunters shooting 3 " 1 1/4 oz of 1's ! :no: :lol3:

Because , if they knew anything about ballistic's of steel shot and patterns........they wouldn't shoot it !

And , apparently don't lesson / read advise from fellas on the forum , that know ! :lol3: :lol3:

But , thanks for drinking the kool-aid of marketing as it does help the industries economy ...... :yes:

Ok so if my 1 1/2 oz load of #1 patterns at 86% at 40 yards, but my load of 1 1/4 oz #1 patterns at 78% at 40 yards, and has gaps in the pattern, I should still use the 1 1/4 oz load? I'll take 32 more pellets in the pattern and good coverage any day. Now, if my 1 1/4oz load patterns even and is in the high 80s or 90% range, sure I will shoot that. Fyi, those were recent pattern results from a day at the range testing out a new pattern master choke. Federal ultrashok heavy high velocity (orange box).

Tell me all about your ballistics and how 3" is so much better. Assume I don't know sh!t about ballistics. Assume all I do is buy the fad of the month load that I see fred zink shooting on TV.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:23 pm

:hijack:

If I want 3" load density out of my 3.5" loads I will open the choke up a size or 2 :yes:

I do pattern all loads, guns and chokes I shoot, and I have patterned thousands of different load / gun / choke combinations with all of the guns I have owned and the chokes I have been thru. That is why I know that my 2 10ga's do not pattern most loads any better than my 12's out to 50 yds (I have no need to test past that). I have tried all of the Hevi-crap and fancy square this and that shot but I always find that plain old steel does the job just as good (dead is dead, right?) as ammo that cost 4 times as much. So if you want to talk about drinking the Kool-Aid or falling for the marketing hype it is right there in all the fancy high dollar loads not in 3.5" steel shot.

Granted, you can kill anything in the proper range with a 410 loaded with #7 steel (done it) but again I like the extra "pattern density" I get with the 3.5" loads. It is not about the velocity, it is about more BB's on the target. The 3.5 definitely with no question puts more shot in the bird than the 3" in my testing every single time. And of course the 3" puts more on target than the 2-3/4" Provided you do you part and match your choke to your load and game / distance.

Sure I shoot the fancy stuff when I get boxes of it for free or next to it at auctions or estate sales, and I find that some of the federal hi density loads work great when I am pushing 60+ yards on giant geese that have no intention of landing.

Bottom line is that the 3" and 3.5" are not necessary at all but each is a little better than the size smaller.

I will confess, I shoot black cloud but by the case at Dunns it is cheap and patterns great in 2 of my guns, (one of my sp10's and my Benelli performance shop waterfowl). funny how a load will work in one gun but performs like crap in its twin :huh:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Previous

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum