Rust Repair

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Rust Repair

Postby THAXTER » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm considering a new "to me" gun and it has some rust on it and I was wondering how hard and costly it would be to repair?
What are your thoughts? I know the pic is bad but that is the only one that they have.
Attachments
28.jpg
THAXTER
hunter

Re: Rust Repair

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:17 am

It depends on the price of the gun. The pictures look like there is some pitting which you will not remove without taking off some material or media blasting it to even out the area. if the gun is cheap enough you can clean it up with some steel wool and cold blue the area and just use it as is. is there any rust on the inside of the receiver?
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby THAXTER » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:46 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:It depends on the price of the gun. The pictures look like there is some pitting which you will not remove without taking off some material or media blasting it to even out the area. if the gun is cheap enough you can clean it up with some steel wool and cold blue the area and just use it as is. is there any rust on the inside of the receiver?

I think i'll pass on on this one. The price was too much and it isn't in good enough shape. Thanks for your reply.
Thaxter
THAXTER
hunter

Postby SpanielBoom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:45 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:It depends on the price of the gun. The pictures look like there is some pitting which you will not remove without taking off some material or media blasting it to even out the area. if the gun is cheap enough you can clean it up with some steel wool and cold blue the area and just use it as is. is there any rust on the inside of the receiver?

I have an old 1100 that we just dug out of the closet that's accumulated a shameful amount of rust, including on the receiver. Is there potential for permanent damage there or does it just need to. Be sprayed down and scrubbed?
SpanielBoom
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:50 am

Is it deep rust like that picture above or is it just surface rust?
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby z51 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:25 am

SpanielBoom wrote:

I have an old 1100 that we just dug out of the closet that's accumulated a shameful amount of rust, including on the receiver. Is there potential for permanent damage there or does it just need to. Be sprayed down and scrubbed?

Take the gun apart and use Break Free CLP and OOOO steel wool on the affected areas. If that doesn't clean up the rust more drastic measures may be needed. The key is you need to remove the rust and stop it's progress.
z51
hunter

Postby SpanielBoom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:19 pm

z51 wrote:
SpanielBoom wrote:

Take the gun apart and use Break Free CLP and OOOO steel wool on the affected areas. If that doesn't clean up the rust more drastic measures may be needed. The key is you need to remove the rust and stop it's progress.

Any advice On getting the barrel out of the receiver? It's basically rusted tight.
SpanielBoom
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:56 pm

Thats a shame. Buy a can of spray Kroil, shoot it up and let soak. We're did you keep it in a bathroom? :help:
z51
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum