Maxus. Does this bolt assembly look right

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Maxus. Does this bolt assembly look right

Postby GMC2500HD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Did a full break down cleaning on my maxus, but I'm having some trouble with the bolt reassembly. Does this look normal, bolt seems to cycle fine. Just wondering if anyone else's maxus bolt assembly looks like this.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
GMC2500HD
hunter

Re: Maxus. Does this bolt assembly look right

Postby GMC2500HD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:59 pm

If I let the bolt close with some force or let it slam by pressing the button the gap in the first picture doesn't exist.
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:36 pm

The second pic looks normal, but the first pic does not. Its not closing correctly. Even when let down easy my bolt fully closes. and there is no gap between the two bolt pieces.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby GMC2500HD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:47 pm

Closed it when holding the bolt caulking handle it closes all the way but sometimes there is a gap when I close it to slow. I dry fired the gun, and it did dry fire( I know I didn't have my snap cap in).
Attachments
image.jpg
Fully closed
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:02 am

May be time to replace action spring. Let it slam every time. Wasn't made to close to slow. Just like the benellis.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:33 am

I would say that your last pic is what you want to be seeing every time regardless of how you let the bolt close.
If after thoroughly cleaning the bolt, you put it together totally dry ? that could be causing the bolt to hang up a bit and not fully close, as well as other parts in the mechanism.
I know there's always a LOT of talk about lubrication, semi-autos and climate conditions and how most run them drier than wet. After cleaning the bolt (in my experience) I always make sure the top and bottom halves at their contact points are lightly lubed.
You also mentioned about dry firing without snapcaps. I always release the hammer spring tension before storing the gun. If you're concerned with the hammer slamming the pin, pull the bolt back half-way and pull the trigger, the hammer travel and overall energy is much less. I most likely learned this from a more experienced shooter here or some other shot-gunning site and seems logically a good tip. :thumbsup:
23yearsago
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:39 pm

Shot fine today during 4 rounds of skeet, no issues. Shot my best round ever actually
GMC2500HD
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum