Mossberg 500 Jam

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Mossberg 500 Jam

Postby gosox » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:49 pm

My Mossberg 500 shotgun got dropped onto a cement floor. I am now unable to pump the shotgun while holding the release. The gun won't even dry fire. I know thats not good, but my father recommended it. It was only dropped from about waist high but what could cause this jam? I am attaching a picture of the jam. Anyone have any ideas? About to bring it to a gunsmith if this isn't an easy fix. Thank you!
Attachments
jam.jpg
gosox
Newb

Re: Mossberg 500 Jam

Postby StevenL » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:04 pm

http://www.mossberg.com/manuals/500_835_590_535_en.pdf

Ok, I've included a link that will direct you to Mossberg's site for owner's manuals just in case you don't have one. The problem description causes me to believe the bolt carrier is no longer resting as it should on the actuator bars. Carefully remove the trigger group so that you can have a better look inside the receiver. The shell elevator won't necessarily come out with the trigger group. DO NOT pull the trigger at any time while the group is outside of the receiver. Once the trigger group is out just take a look at where things are hung up and gently put them back in place. Then re-install the trigger group and you should be good to go.
StevenL
hunter

Postby StevenL » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:11 pm

But Hey! If you don't want to mess with it on your own, just send the shotgun back to Mossberg. Their service is great even if you aren't the original owner.
StevenL
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:34 am

The bolt came off the action bars. you will need to remove the trigger assembly and in most cases you can correct it from there but if you tried hard to cycle it you may have really jammed it up. In that case you will need to work at it a bit and possibly use a bit of force / prying to get the bolt loose or back on track.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum