rem 1100

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

rem 1100

Postby hurtin_honkers » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:18 pm

hey guys, I own a remingotn 1100, 12g, and after shooting it recently for the first time in a long time, it stopped reloading. I had just literally changed the pistons, and seals and o ring not 50 shots prior. granted those 50 shots were last october, and the absolute max i wouldve shot is 50 times, 20-25 is more likely. and when I changed the piston assembly it was stripped down entirely and cleaned top to bottom by a gunsmith. I used it this fall and winter to do some deer and rabbit hunting, though I never one shot it. I didn't realize the issue until this spring when I shot it, using 2 3/4 turkey loads, not light skeet loads, but loads that always eject and cycle. today I bought new o rings, hoping it just got stretched. but I also took it all apart, cleaned it with rem shotgun spray, then took a bobby pin and tried to clean out the gas port if any gun was stuck in there. If this is not the issue, does anyone have any suggestions? the gun is old, It was my grandfathers and Id hate to put it out of the line of duty.
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Re: rem 1100

Postby z51 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:19 pm

If you changed to the new one piece piston seal, I would put the old 2 piece piston and seal back. Also to clean gas port use a drill bit just smaller than the port twisted between your fingers.

It's hard to put a finger on your problem but if your gun was working before try to return it to it's original state.

Need to know more than......stopped reloading. Exactly what happens to the shell in the mag.
z51
hunter

Postby flyndutchman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:13 pm

There are several other parts that if broken can make the 1100 not "reload". A broken extractor, this should be obvious, broken feed latch, broken or bent "link", bent or broken action arm, dirty recoil spring. Need more info about what the action is or is not doing in the cycle.
flyndutchman
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:06 am

It seems like it'd be more a gas problem. I shot the gun with the one piece a few times flawlessly, great extraction, but I'll give it a go this week on my day off and hopefully it cycles nicely.
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:46 am

The issue is not extraction, it is what happens the the shell in the mag that causes it not to load. If you want help tell us what is happening and where the cycle stops.
z51
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:19 am

today, when I shot it, after cleaning her squeaky clean, and replacing the o ring, the reciever would slide back and lock, a new shell would pop in, but the old shell would fail to eject, it seemed like (and bear with me because I am not a gun smith and do not know the correct term) the metal extractor piece, where it clamps onto the rim of the shell, was not clamped onto the shell. It seemed like everything ran smoothly, but the piece did not have a hold on the shell, and the gun would fire and cylce correctly except the old shell would not eject and it would cause the shell to jam.
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:53 am

It's most likely a broken extractor or extractor spring. They are cheap parts. Download a schematic so you can see how they fit. You can order them from Brownells and replace them yourself. Remove the bolt from the gun and check the extractor hook and spring action. The extractor should be hard to move with your thumb. The extractor hook should be sharp with a beveled edge. For an experienced guy its a 10 minute job total time.
z51
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:43 am

the extractor spring seems sturdy, ive never actually taken that out until now and its a little dirty in there, could that be causing it? now that i changed the oring its like its just jamming every single shot, old shell now being extracted
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:20 am

O K, you are going to have to tell us exactly what it's doing this time. Jamming every shot is meaningless.
When you fire it now tell us what you observe. Fire it with a shell in the mag and tell us what happens to the fired shell, the bolt, and where the shell that was in the mag ends up.

Forget about the o-ring, I've had them last ten years. I thought your gunsmith was supposed to have cleaned the gun.
Yes, a very filty extractor spring won't work properly.
z51
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:21 am

upon firing, bolt comes back with the old shell, the new shell pops into place, and the old shell comes back, but fails to eject, and gets jammed in the breach.the new shell is sitting below the old shell but cannot be cycled due to the old shell being jammed in the breach. the bolt does not come back and lock into place, but is pushing on the old shell causing it to jam in the breech. I hope that is enough I do not know any other way to put it.
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:01 pm

That is a much better explanation. Since the shell is extracted but not ejected and the bolt is not coming back far enough for the carrier dog to catch the bolt AND since you have replaced the o-ring again, I still suspect the new piston seal as a possible problem. Besides the o- ring that is all you have to catch the gas. Humor me and put the old piston and seal back in if you have them. Just change one thing at a time.

Two questions, when you work the bolt by hand with a empty chamber and mag will the bolt lock back? Also with a empty chamber and shell in the mag can you load the shell from the mag by pulling back the bolt and then operating the carrier release button.
z51
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:46 am

It's been quite a few years since I've handled an 1100. I can't remember if they have the leaf spring ejector assist like the 870. I have noticed that part in particular loves to break. But on the 870 it usually does not adversely affect ejection when it breaks. Could be different on the 1100 though.

Did the gunsmith do anything to the trigger? My dad had to get a new elevator put in his and it had to be retimed. I can't remember the exact problem he was having, but it was something along the same lines as your problem. After the gunsmith fixed the timing it worked like a champ.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby flyndutchman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Sounds like the extractor is broken. A very common problem. The bolt comes back and locks but has the spent hull still inside the receiver. The ejector on the 1100 is a simple piece of the barrel tang that extends back into the action that has been raised(gouged) out to catch the rim of the fired hull as it goes by held by the extractor to fling it out of the receiver port. No spring as in the 870 12ga. The extractor may not be completely broken off flush. Sometimes just enough of the hook shears off so the ejector can't work. If you can post a picture of the bolt showing the extractor it would help.
flyndutchman
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:19 pm

I already had him remove the extractor and spring and check it. See earlier posts. It sounds like the bolt is not coming back far enough for the rim to hit the ejector.
z51
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:20 am

Believe he meant the ejector could be broken. The part that actually pushes the round off the bolt face. When you pull the bolt all the way to the rear you should see a stationary piece of metal protruding out that would snag the hull, or casing, if there was one on the bolt face. If there is no such piece of metal, you're missing your ejector.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:16 am

Jimmy82 wrote:Believe he meant the ejector could be broken. The part that actually pushes the round off the bolt face. When you pull the bolt all the way to the rear you should see a stationary piece of metal protruding out that would snag the hull, or casing, if there was one on the bolt face. If there is no such piece of metal, you're missing your ejector.

There is no separate ejector on a 1100 it is part of the barrel. No that is not what he meant.

However, I think the OP has moved on.
z51
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Hey guys! Didn't mean to leave this post cold. I went on a college road trip and haven't had time to log back on. I don't have the old piston anymore, I believe I might have tossed it. I'm going to take it to the gun smith and see what he says. Hopefully it's only a minor problem. Everything works as it's supposed to, pulling bolt back and locking, loading and everything, it's just the shell not ejecting fully upon firing.
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:27 am

Sounds to me like it is "stove piping", if the protruding piece on your barrel sleeve is still there and extractor is ok, then I'm betting its the spring in your stock.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:32 pm

That could be! I have it literally all apart, minus taking apart the trigger assembly, and I've scrubbed, cleaned, soaked, sprayed with that degreasing shotgun spray remington makes that seems to take out more gunk and powder than you'd ever think was possible to collect, and I'll give her another go soon. Hopefully I can stick with the 1100 this year and not move to the mossberg 835.... Just nothing feels better than a right fitting handed down shotgun
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:14 am

We had a couple of guys on another site that boought new rings from Brownells and Nu Line that were out of spec. The split was too wide.
They learned a valuble lesson, don't replace parts if you aren't pretty sure they are bad. If you have a problem replace one thing at a time. It will save lot's of time and money in the long run. And don't throw old parts away unless they are clearly broken.
z51
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:53 am

hopefully this'll get this post moving again! so after not having time for this issue over the past month through work, and everything else under the sun, I finally threw the 1100 back together. while cycling through some shells, without firing, just loading into the magazine tube, cocking back, and hitting the button, I noticed that the reload seemed to be a lot slower than what I had remembered. as in, when hitting the reload button, the action coming forward with a new shell, seemed to be much slower and weaker. could this be the cause of the issue is a weak action spring?
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:00 pm

Let me ask you this, if the spring was weak wouldn't the bolt come back easier and the gun complete it's cycle easier. Hand cycling the gun is not a meaningful test for your issue. If you put in a heavier spring it will make ejecting the fired shell MORE difficult.

When you changed the piston and seal where did the new ones come from?
z51
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:06 pm

the new ones are a remington brand. From my local gun shop.
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:52 am

[quote="hurtin_honkers"]the new ones are a remington brand. From my local gun shop.

If you are sure the extractor and spring are good it might be a bent carrier latch. I've seen these guns do weird things when the latch is bent or the follower is gunked up. The latch can get bent if you drop the hammer with the trigger group out of the gun or from very heavy loads.

Since you don't have the old style piston and seal anymore maybe you could borrow some.

Otber than that, you are going to need to take to someone you knows 1100's and can put there eyes on it.
z51
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:58 am

hurtin_honkers wrote:hopefully this'll get this post moving again! so after not having time for this issue over the past month through work, and everything else under the sun, I finally threw the 1100 back together. while cycling through some shells, without firing, just loading into the magazine tube, cocking back, and hitting the button, I noticed that the reload seemed to be a lot slower than what I had remembered. as in, when hitting the reload button, the action coming forward with a new shell, seemed to be much slower and weaker. could this be the cause of the issue is a weak action spring?

Now you're trying to troubleshoot a different set of symptoms, imo. This could be caused by a weak action spring or filthy action tube, or just filthy nasty in general.
I believe that 51 is correct in saying that you're not going to be able to troubleshoot your non-eject issue with any certainty by manually operating the action (it would eliminate the resistance factors for a poor gas seal and possibly tight/bent parts somewhere)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
talltimber
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum