rem 1100

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Re: rem 1100

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:07 am

Going back to the OP's original complaint, the spent hull isn't clearing out of the ejection port, the culprits may be:

Broken/worn ejector pin (located on the barrel extension piece that fits down into the receiver), port side.

Yoke/Fork, that the bolt rides on and which slides back into the action/recoil tube spring (inside the stock) is bent near the forward section, causing it to bind and not compress into the action/recoil tube assembly during cycling of a fired round.

Action/recoil spring assembly has crud/rust in it that is causing it to bind up and not fully compress or spring may well be broken/herniated, causing a similar issue. Have you disassembled this component and checked it out?

Also, as Z said, the trigger assembly may have a bent/broken component. If, you have not disassembled it, do not disassemble it. Running it through the diswasher can be helpful in getting crud out.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby 007 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:02 pm

No cycling problems with my gun per se, but as soon as the 2 springs come in the mail I'm gonna do the magazine spring and action spring in my circa 1980's 1100 20 ga for the first time.

Can't wait to see how much powder is in it.

hunter

Postby REM1100 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:53 am

I was recleaning my 1100 mag and started to oil the magazine tube that the piston rides on and discovered some rust scales towards the top of the magazine......some steel wooland masaging the two piece piston and blueing later the piston slides without hanging up. I had changed out the action spring in the stock the O ring used a paper clip for the gas port in the barrel and used brake cleaner and a wire brush in the part of the barrel where the O ring seats in as there was carbon build up and cleaned up the extracters with brake cleaner and sprayed the trigger assembly and lightly oiled everything, I even took a bore brush some steel wool and drill to my barrel so the chamber was smooth.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Theduckguru » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:18 am

If you have a 1100 series gun that is working improperly, do these steps.

A. Full disassemble the gun, except the trigger group and clean it throughly. Make certain no debrie is lodged in the trigger group.
B. Check that the Feed Latch is securly staked in the receiver.
C. Check the Feed Latch movement is free and the mounting stud not worn.
D. Check the magazine tube is secure and the soldering has not failed.
E. Check the Carrier Latch on the trigger group is not Broken.
F. Chech the action bar support is not broken
G. Check the extractorr is not Broken.
H. Check O-Ring and rings for wear.

A, B, and H are the most likely fixes.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby CanardNoir » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:34 pm

If you eliminate the extractor problem, and the gas ports in the barrel are not clogged - take it apart; spray everything with ether and wipe it down; check the recoil spring for signs of rust; check the magazine tube for a dent or high spot; clean the magazine tube & spring; and finally look at the chamber for rust & pitting.

I've always shot back bored barrels for ducks & geese and taken the time to polish the chambers to a near mirror finish (even if they're chromed). Use Fitz (sp?) polishing compound, a hand drill, and a bore brush wrapped with paper/cloth towel, using liberal amounts of polishing compound. Within 3-45 minutes your barrel should be ready for a good cleaning. Blow out and clear the orifice from the barrel to the gas chamber. Wipe down with WD-40 and coat all parts with dry-Molly Lube. Carefully Reassemble with the new or near-new parts; load with three shells, step out the back door and shoot - Boom, Boom, Boom!

When I hunted a lot - I use to never bring my shotgun into the camp, always leaving it in the truck, because condensation is the recoil spring's worst enemy!

Never oil your Rem 1100: WD-40 if wet, wipe it all off, and apply dry Molly Lube - always. And IF it's shooting - Boom, Boom, Boom - don't clean it unless you've dropped it in the water or filled the chamber and shell ports with trash! It ain't broke, don't fix it!
CanardNoir
hunter

Postby Spunky » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:12 pm

If the gun was cleaned really well, the first place that I would go would be the spring in the stock. It's very easy to change. Replace the spring, they run $10 or less. You said that you had it out hunting after you did replace some parts. You may have picked up some stuff that is preventing the spring in the stock to work properly. When you remove the spring use a brass brush to scrub the tube real well. As for the gas ports go and buy some pipe cleaners. Dip the end in some cleaning fluid and run it through the gas port.
Spunky
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum