Stuck choke tube

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Stuck choke tube

Postby loon » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:05 pm

I did something stupid I didn't get around to cleaning my gun for quite a while and the choke tube is stuck in place it's a Benelli SBE II . I put it in a padded vise and then really tried as hard as I could with the choke wrench provided and it slipped I didn't want to wreck the threads or Round out the choke tube tool slot . Any ideas? Or is this a job for a gunsmith or is it just no longer interchangeable chokes ?
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Re: Stuck choke tube

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:11 pm

You could try heating it up with a propane or mapp torch. If its camo I wouldnt tho, will most likely melt the dip
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:18 am

Could try break free if you can't use heat. Not sure what it would do to bluing or a dip though. If you're brave test it on an unoticeable place. Someone might have more experience with it than me, I've only used it on cars away from the paint.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:38 am

Been there done that with my first duck gun. I think it was a stoeger. I broke the Stoeger wrench and went to a benelli style and lots of torque. It worked but yours may be seized up worse than mine. See a local gun smith.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby jgrunloh » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:02 pm

I would soak the choke tube-bArrel in kroil for a couple hours. Then heat the barrel with a blow dryer. I would then have a punch and small hammer to try and break it free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim
jgrunloh
hunter

Postby hellfighter » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:16 pm

Soak it in brake fluid
hellfighter
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Diesel fuel works well too
Rhock19
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:55 pm

ANOTHER ONE :no:

Search this forum for Stuck Choke and you will find more "solutions" than you can probably go thru in a day. Break free does work on some customer guns but on really stuck chokes I use Kroil. Sometimes it also requires some hammer blows (protect the barrel or use plastic mallet) around the thread area to break them free. Never found one I could not get out yet so keep trying and you should be able to get it loosened up. :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby z51 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Soak the end of the barrel choke tube deep in Kano Kroil for two days. Nothing else works better.
z51
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:02 pm

Yep, here we go again.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:46 am

I had one stuck badly. The gunsmith had a reversed direction drill bit he placed inside the tube and used a crescent wrench to back it out. It toasted the choke but it was the only option left to remove it.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:54 am

I'd try PB Blaster. That stuff penetrates like no other solvent.
Rig up a way to stand your shotgun barrel down and have a shot glass with a teeny amount of PB Blaster in it at the bottom. That stuff will creep all the way up to the stock it penetrates THAT well. (maybe I exagerate but you get the idea)

Once you got it unstuck put a dab of marine grease if you have it or some anti-seize from an auto parts store.
A little grease helps keep the metals from bonding. There's a lot of heat and force applied to these things.

Had a tube get stuck in my remington and got it loose with heat. It was an extended choke so I heated the barrel and iced the end of the tube. It came right out then.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby The Rican » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:30 am

Before this post gets 10 pages long. I purchased with a SBE 2 for 450 due to it having what the store gunsmith was a permanent stuck choke. I sent it to Benelli they would not touch it. Was told to send it to Brilley chokes which has a 100% success rate taking stuck chokes out. Week and a half later I had it back total cost like 80-90 bucks with shipping both ways. So know I have a basically brand new SBE2 for 550 bucks lol
The Rican
hunter

Postby johnz » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:13 am

been there before..... try using transmission fluid and acetone mixed together, somewhat equal amounts. fill a can up a few inches, put end of barell in it and let it soak for a few days. then put barell in a vise and ude a 3/4" to 1" easy out. tap that into the end of the choke and use a wrench and the choke should come out. this has worked for me. another option is to send it to a local machine shop. have them put the barell in a 4 chuck lathe and ream the inside of the choke out to a few thousands and the remainder of the choke will peel out. then go to extended chokes , never have the problem again.
good luck
johnz
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:41 pm

goosepit2007
hunter

Postby loon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:56 am

I'm taking it to the gunsmith and I will let him try. Luckily the choke I like best is the one that's stuck . Life lesson learned !
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:25 am

loon wrote:I'm taking it to the gunsmith and I will let him try. Luckily the choke I like best is the one that's stuck . Life lesson learned !

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:44 pm

Had one rust in my Xtrema II.
Go to an auto parts store and get an "easy out". Vise the Barrell and start heating the easy out. It'll tarnish the tip some. Keep working it but it'll eventually break.

use anti seize.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby gride830 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:40 pm

Soak in diesel fuel. Stick anything you can hammer or jam in there and apply a lot of force to without breaking. Expect to ruin the choke. Don't worry about it. The barrel is way too expensive comparably speaking. Next time you'll remember to clean and lube the gun.
gride830
hunter

Postby vlb » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:46 pm

Buy quarter pound of dry ice. Break a few chunks of the dry ice small enough to fit into your choke tube tight. place the chunks of dry ice into small ziplock bags.Use your wife"s hair dryer to heat your shotguns barrel. When the barrel is warm enough slip the dry ice into the choke tube a minute. remove the dry ice .Quickly use you choke tube tool to remove the choke.
vlb
hunter

Postby vlb » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:23 am

At no time should the ziplock baqgs be sealed. I sure wish I had stated this from the start.
vlb
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:35 am

PB blaster to break loose. I always put one or two wraps of teflon tape on my threads.
kcwellington
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:27 am

loon wrote:I'm taking it to the gunsmith and I will let him try. Luckily the choke I like best is the one that's stuck . Life lesson learned !

Good idea. Just pony up the cash and let a professional do the work. Let us know how it turns out.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Honkerblaster » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:35 pm

The Rican wrote:Before this post gets 10 pages long. I purchased with a SBE 2 for 450 due to it having what the store gunsmith was a permanent stuck choke. I sent it to Benelli they would not touch it. Was told to send it to Brilley chokes which has a 100% success rate taking stuck chokes out. Week and a half later I had it back total cost like 80-90 bucks with shipping both ways. So know I have a basically brand new SBE2 for 550 bucks lol

Sweet!
Now I understand Remington's slogan "one moment, one shot." It's because you should consider yourself lucky the pos went off even once!
Honkerblaster
hunter

Postby ratrod » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:59 pm

Dextron atf and acetone 50/50 mix. may take a few applications but it will work

Rat
ratrod
Newb

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum