Duck Hunting Forum banner

Remington 1187 Breech/bolt will not stay open

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  rainingmallards 
#1 ·
when I pull the bolt back on my 1187 it will not stay open it just slams back shut
any ideas on what is causing this by chance?

#4 ·
Carrier latch is probably bent. It can happen if you drop the hammer with the trigger assembly out of the gun. It can also get bent other ways or have a loose pin. There are other possibilities, the carrier dog follower being gummed up, but that is most likely. New latches are about $5 at Brownells. Before you order any parts I would give the trigger assembly a good cleaning with a solvent and a toothbrush first.

#5 ·
z51 said:
rainingmallards said:
when I pull the bolt back on my 1187 it will not stay open it just slams back shut
any ideas on what is causing this by chance?
Carrier latch is probably bent. It can happen if you drop the hammer with the trigger assembly out of the gun. It can also get bent other ways or have a loose pin. There are other possibilities, the carrier dog follower being gummed up, but that is most likely. New latches are about $5 at Brownells. Before you order any parts I would give the trigger assembly a good cleaning with a solvent and a toothbrush first.
2nd, especially on the cleaning and look for bent parts or parts that look out of place or loose. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.